If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy bound!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HocumFocus Find out more about HocumFocus
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myectomy bound!

Heading to Toronto General Hospital for a myectomy on Tuesday September 25th. My chest pain and SOB had gotten so bad this past year that I can barely remember what an active life was like. I've been pouring over people's surgery and recovery posts and blogs for weeks, using Ipecac's readiness list and feel that I'm an informed patient and basically know what to expect.

I'll be posting up progress reports and questions as soon as I'm able to.

Wish me luck!

Re: Myectomy bound!

The very best for an uneventful surgery and quick and easy recovery.

Comment

Good luck. My son has a myectomy scheduled for Oct 2. He has decided to have it done at MCV in Richmond, VA with Dr. Kaserajan who trained at Cleveland.

Comment

It sounds like you have the right attitude and are well-informed and both those things will serve you well. I had my myectomy 9 days ago and now have no chest pains of the type I got after pretty much every meal. (OF course I still have lots of other pains but they're of the type that will go away.)

It may be a little different than you expect... be prepared, but its important to stay flexible and keep an open mind!

Good luck, keep us posted...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-CT View Post
          It sounds like you have the right attitude and are well-informed and both those things will serve you well. I had my myectomy 9 days ago and now have no chest pains of the type I got after pretty much every meal. (OF course I still have lots of other pains but they're of the type that will go away.)

It may be a little different than you expect... be prepared, but its important to stay flexible and keep an open mind!

Good luck, keep us posted...
          Thanks, I hear ya... after meals, every 100 feet walking... it's hard to imagine making it better. Fingers are crossed!

Comment

I'm glad you're scheduled -- and don't have long to wait! Keep us posted.

Gordon
            Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Wishing you the best! Will be watching for updates.

Linda

Comment

I am a week or two behind you and also looking forward to walking, talking, eating etc without feeling like my chest is about to burn up or explode.

All the very best for an easy and speedy recovery.
                “It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it.”

Septal Myectomy & Mitral Valve replacement Oct 2012
                Dx 09/97
                ICD 26/11/10, redone 10/12/10 (lead failure) and replaced Oct 2012 (failed during myectomy surgery).
                Age 51, two children 29 & 27, both currently clear. Father, aunt, cousin and cousin's son all with HCM. Cousin's son had ICD implanted eight years ago (at age 19).
                **my 11 year old cat was diagnosed with feline HCM at 2 and is still going strong!

Comment

Good luck! The readiness checklist definitely made me feel prepared for my husband's recent surgery. Maybe the best tip was to bring a small portable fan, which he definitely needed (but only half the time -- the other half he was chilled, so don't be surprised if that happens too). All the best!

Comment

Good luck, and you'll be just fine!! Let us know how it goes.
                    Patty
                    Patty
                    Misdiagnosed Rhuematic Fever 17 yrs old
                    Diagnosed with HCM - obstructed 10/26/11
                    Myectomy - Mayo - Dearani - 1/5/012

Comment

Well, I'm still alive and kicking! Surgery was this past Tuesday at 8:00 AM. Went well and after a 1 cm by 2.5 cm by 3.5 cm chunck of septum was removed, my 110 at rest obstruction was down to 3! First day in ICU was a blur--thank god for my wife and ice chips. A strawberry jello tasted like heaven! Was not prepared for the extreme lack of energy the first 3 days afterward. I had some great books and music but would read a page, dog ear it and sleep.. then wake up and do that again. First 2 nights were plagued by rhythym issues.. fast, varying, afib, you name it. I was hot and HAD NOT taken a fan with me.. this should be considered essential for anyone who doesn't like feeling warm. My wife found a great USB one Garrison) and it has been running constantly!

Thursday evening was still having rhythym issues, nurse rushed into the room at the moment my ICD fired for it's first time ever. My reaction can't be repeated in an open forum! Cardiologist was called stat, pumped me full of good rhythm juice and I had a decent night. By last night (Saturday night) I managed to sleep through the night with one bathroom break--something I haven't done for a long time. Getting up and around for little walks. Echo tomorrow and then discharge! We'll be here a few days witha final appt with surgeon before travelling home. Will post updates.
                      Last edited by HocumFocus; 09-30-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear you've had some drama! But it sounds as though you're through the worst bit, and getting out of the hospital should do you wonders. Hoping for a less exciting recovery.

Gordon
                        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

May you have smooth sailing from here on out!
                          Marc
                          Diagnosed @ 48
                          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Exactly one week ago at this moment, I was in the OR, heart stopped and a piece being removed. Nice to be on the side counting towards recovery. Got discharged yesterday after an echo showed my gradient was indeed gone and all other heart and valve functions were within parameters. The good news is that escalating "feeling" I had in my chest with the slightest exertion is gone. Except for some paplitations last evening, rhytyhm seems to be holding on the discharge drug schedule which includes 400 mg twice daily of amniodarone. Trying to keep up with breathing exercises and have noticed improvement on spirometer over last couple of days. Not flying home until Thursday but the hot shower last night in the hotel was great--beat the oxy for post op pain control! LOL

I think the biggest problem I'm facing is that I spent so long in such a limited state that my fitness level is zero and despite not having any chest pain, still get short of breath easily and my back feels weak. Thanks for all of your support, will continue with upates on occassion.

Comment

Two weeks yesterday since surgery and the first day I can honestly say I felt "better" than before surgery. Still sore around the chest particularly when moving after having been still for awhile. Walking is slowly improving, still a long way to go. Rhythym problems seem to be resolved themselves and my tapering dose of Amiodarone runs out in a couple more weeks. How long did others keep up with the spirometer exercises?

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X