If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any insurance headaches with septal ablation?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

sewtrue Find out more about sewtrue
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any insurance headaches with septal ablation?

My mother, after consulting with her cardiologist, feels that alcohol septal ablation is the best option for her. Due to the low occurrence of HCM, and hence, the procedure, I'm worried that her insurance company may balk at covering it. Has anyone else dealt with this? She has Humana, private, not Medicare.

Re: Any insurance headaches with septal ablation?

I had an ASA in November of 2010 and also have private insurance - at the time it was a HIP Medicare HMO - and had no problems. Whether it was due to how my doctor's office filled out the paperwork or whether HIP just decided it was cheaper than a myectomy I have no idea but it was paid for in full and I never received a bill for anything.

I don't know anything about Humana or how they operate but I would leave the arrangements to your doctor's office and the hospital as they deal with the insurance companies all the time and know exactly what is needed to get your mother the treatment she needs. In the event there is a problem and Humana denies the request there is an appeal system in place - just make sure you have all her test results including the catheterization report to show that the procedure is necessary if they do turn it down.

I have since switched from the HIP plan to a GHI PPO (same umbrella company, Emblem Health) for many reasons but they seem to be a lot more flexible and easier to deal with.

The very best to your mother and if her experience is anywhere near what mine was she will never be sorry that she had this "obstacle" taken care of.

Comment

I had my ASA back in 2001. Only had the usual and customary problems with the insurance company - Dr. covered, hospital covered, anesthesiologist not covered type stuff.

Comment

I had an ASA in 2006. It had to be precertified, but no problems.

When I had my myectomy in 2007 there were bigger issues with the insurer. They took some convincing to approve my having it at Cleveland--they wanted me to have it at a local hospital that had done maybe 5 myectomies. Cleveland was very helpful in convincing them and working with them. (They accepted the in-network rate.)

I suspect insurers go easier with ASA's because they're less expensive.
        Diagnosed (w/obstruction) 2003 at 39
        Alcohol Septal Ablation Feb. 2006
        Myectomy April 2007 Cleveland
        Pacemaker dependent (no ICD)
        Thankful and doing fine

Comment

Working...
        X