If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Septal myectopy scheduled for Friday 3/2/12

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jaime1981 Find out more about Jaime1981
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septal myectopy scheduled for Friday 3/2/12

My septal myectopy is scheduled for this Friday. I am a little nervous, but happy to get it taken care of. My question is I see a lot of you guys also have a ICD and my surgeon did not say anything about getting a ICD, how common is it to get an ICD. Will I get one later or not at all? Do you have to have one? Thank you
    Misdiagnosed with BAVD in 2010(it is a "good working order" tricuspid)
    Correct HOCM diagnosed February 2012
    Septal Myectopy on March 5th, 2012 ( over 85% removed and is still a little thick)
    Now on daily aspirin and metoprolol

Re: Septal myectopy scheduled for Friday 3/2/12

Whether or not an ICD is appropriate for you will be a determination made by your doctors - not everyone needs an ICD or other device.

Comment

ICDs are there for people who have particular characteristics that put them at real risk of certain dangerous heart rhythms. They don't treat all rhythm problems, and they don't help with problems like obstruction. It's a great thing that they're there for people who need them, but be glad that you apparently don't! I don't have an ICD either.

Most people with HCM don't have ICDs, and most don't get myectomies.

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Jaime - wishing you the best - will be watching for updates - Linda

Comment

I had an ICD before I had my myectomy. The need for the ICD was determined totally independently of the myectomy. There is no reason that the myectomy alone should influence your need for an ICD. In fact, the opposite may well be true. Post myectomy, the incidence of SCD actually falls and doesn't rise.
          Daughter of Father with HCM
          Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
          Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
          ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
          Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Some of us were given ICD's because the doctor read up on HCM 101 and thats what you do. Put them on a beta blocker and put in an ICD. It happened to me and almost happened to my brother. He was diagnosed after I found all my trouble and went to a non COE like I started at because there wasnt one available. Luckily since I had switched to Cleveland Clinic his doctor decided to consult with my cardiologist at CCF and after doing so it was decided my brother did not need the ICD. Sooooooooooo another case for making sure you get treated at a COE if at all possible!!!!
            Diagnosed HCM October 2011(obstructed)
            ICD Implanted 10/14/2011
            First trip to Cleveland Clinic 11/16/2011
            Septal Myectomey 12/14/2011
            A better life started 12/15/2011

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I want to update everyone. My myectopy has been moved to Monday since the scheluler double booked lol. So tomorrow I go get a cardiac cath and then get to do pretty much nothing all weekend until my surgery. Thank you all again.
              Last edited by Jaime1981; 02-28-2012, 09:46 PM. Reason: Needed to add more.
              Septal Myectopy on March 5th, 2012 ( over 85% removed and is still a little thick)

Comment

Hi Jaime,

Please keep us updated. I'm having mine on March 15th. I'd like to hear how everything goes for you. Best of luck!

Mike

Comment

I wish you much luck, I am having mine at Tufts march 14th. Seems like there are quite a few of us having this done within the next couple weeks! Hopefully we all have an easy go at it.
                  Good times

Comment

Hey Jaime -- I am just shy of 2 weeks since my myectomy. I was nervous too -- it's natural to feel that way. I know you will do great! Before my myectomy, there was a lot of debate between the doctors on whether or not to put in an ICD. My family history heavily indicated putting one in, but my electricals looked good and my heart muscle cells are not very disorganized, so the cardiologists decided I should wait and watch for a while and if one is needed later, they can put one in. It also depends on how risk averse you are -- if you feel you want zero risk, then I would go ahead and put it in. Best wishes for a smooth surgery. Please let us know how you are doing when you get to the other side!
                    Diagnosed with HOCM June 2011
                    Myectomy at CCF February 16, 2012
                    He heals the broken in heart and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3

Comment

and Jaime if Christy can do it..............ANYONE can!!!!!

Best of luck to you!
                      Diagnosed HCM October 2011(obstructed)
                      ICD Implanted 10/14/2011
                      First trip to Cleveland Clinic 11/16/2011
                      Septal Myectomey 12/14/2011
                      A better life started 12/15/2011

Comment

Thank you all...I for sure will let you all know how it goes, probably while at the hospital still...gonna have my iPad once I leave cardiac icu...good luck to all surgeries for march. Also was told today that they are replacing the valve as well while they got me all opened up.

Comment

Do you need a cardiac cath before this surgery?

Comment

I am pretty fearless, but that's right Tom. If I can do it, anyone can.

Will be thinking of you and praying for complete success Jaime. You're going to do great!

Godrew -- I had one a couple of months before to confirm the diagnosis, but I did not have one just before surgery. If you are having surgery tomorrow, I think you would already have had one by now. Best wishes for your surgery as well. You will be in my prayers as well. You're going to do awesome!!!

Keep us posted when you get to the other side!!!!
                            Diagnosed with HOCM June 2011
                            Myectomy at CCF February 16, 2012
                            He heals the broken in heart and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3

Comment

Working...
                            X