If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Septal Myectomy Video

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

sjsander Septal Myectomy and AICD Implant in June 2007 at Mayo Clinic Rochester-Dr. Joseph Dearani Find out more about sjsander
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Full Septal Myectomy Video

I started to watch it, but I couldn't. I just found out Monday that the doctor is recommending I have the procedure. I'll probably slowly build up to watching it.

Thank you Rosemarie for letting them film and post the video.
    Chris
    45 - husband & father of two, Bothell, WA (Seattle suburb)
    Designer & Creative Director
    Diagnosed September 2011
    100mg Atenonol
    Saving and planning for a myectomy

Comment

My surgery was almost 7 years ago, and I couldn't watch the video. Honestly, it is not required. Just pick a good surgeon that you trust. Leave the cutting up to them. What is important is that they know what they are doing. I prefer not to visualize what actually went on during my surgery. I am happy with the results and the rest can just remain a mystery!
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynaburst View Post
        I prefer not to visualize what actually went on during my surgery.
        You and me both... just put me to sleep and wake me up when it's all over! I applaud those who are brave enough to watch it though.
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I came over this videoclip a couple of month before my myectomy, and I have seen it many times. Even last monday, the day before my myectomy, and today three days after i had to watch it again. It give me so much information and understanding of the procedure. I even watched it the day after the operation together with my surgeon. I asked for pictures of my meoctomy, but im not sure if they did it. Have to ask for it later
          Gabriel
          ------------------------------------------------
          I'm Norwegian and live in the Oslo area.
          Genetic HOCM diagnosed in 2008 (at 49) My kids are tested and found negativ
          Medical treatment:
          Isoptin Retard 120mg twice a day
          Amlodipin actavis 5mg once a day
          Albyl E 160mg once a day
          Septal myectomy and insulation of the pulmonary veins at 10 April 2012
          Interests: bicycling, skiing, yachting, ex-marathon'er and offcourse my kids future in general

Comment

Thanks so much to Rosemarie for allowing St. Lukes to film her myectomy and then to post it on their website. it is a great source of understanding the procedure. I'm glad I watched it before the surgery. It took me a few starts before I could watch it all the way through, but even though it was a bit scary, it helped me to know what the surgeons would be doing to me. Let us know if they took and photos of your procedure Gabe. And, I was glad to read on another thread that you are doing so well today. You should be able to go home soon. Keep up the good work! Christy
            Diagnosed with HOCM June 2011
            Myectomy at CCF February 16, 2012
            He heals the broken in heart and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X