If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Septal Myectomy Video

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

sjsander Septal Myectomy and AICD Implant in June 2007 at Mayo Clinic Rochester-Dr. Joseph Dearani Find out more about sjsander
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Full Septal Myectomy Video

Do they sew the pericardium back together when they are done?

Comment

No crocheting or cross stictch done here. You get some nice shiney titanium clips/wires that hold the sternum together until it heals. I have 9 clips/wires.
      LindaSo
      Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
      Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
      ICD 10/08

Comment

Rosie, How many has he done. They are leaning towards doing it. But, am disputing where. CCF, and travel home in pain and exhastion or stay in NYC and be a little more comfey.

Originally posted by rosemarie1125 View Post
        Thats me everybody!!!! ahh im so nervous to watch it. Im very excited and nervous right now. I had my Septal Myectomy in Sept 2011 with the wonderful Doctor Swistel and his team! I owe my life to them! I will post a comment after I watch it, but I really dont want to watch it alone and im the only one up in my house right now.

Comment

hi all...NO WAY i can watch that video, but in prep for my myectomy in 2 wks, what happens to these 'clips' that i read about, after you heal???? and there's no external stitches, just 'glue' that holds the scar together?
          Septal myectomy 1/23/12, Johns Hopkins
          ICD 1/26/12
          Was on Toprol XL for 8 yrs, caused respiratory issues...now on Atenolol
          diagnosed w/asthma 11/11

Comment

I had no glue, no external sutures, but I am confident that I had internal sutures. My incision was BEAUTIFUL!! No redness, drainage, swelling as I recollect. I was very SHOCKED at how pretty it wasy !!

The clips become a permanent fixture and they aren't typically a problem. T minus how many days?
            Onward and Upward !

ICD 10/08

Comment

THANKS, Linda! wooohooo for not having to have stitches removed!
              T-13 days for my myectomy. Nervous but ready for it to be over with. I've had a heck of a time w/the increased dosage of Toprol, lots of respiratory issues (almost bronchits-like) that i'm trying to get resolved. Pre-op next Tues.
              ICD 1/26/12
              diagnosed w/asthma 11/11

Comment

sjachi...we're in the countdown phase!! I'm getting more nervous too but so ready to just get it done. I've had that bronchitis-like stuff too but no other s/s of a cold so I attributed it to the meds as well. Hoping I will not have to take them soon after surgery. It will soon be time to breathe easier!!
                .....~Lisa J~......
                Married to Michael since 1995
                Four boys..18, 14, 5, & 3
                (Youngest is gene positive)
                Diagnosed in 2003 with HCM
                Obstructive HCM in 2009
                Septal myectomy Jan 24, 2012

Comment

Lisa,
                  believe me, you have been on my mind constantly...you are the day after me!!! positive thoughts and prayers....
                  hope you got all of your work situation post-op figured out.
                  ICD 1/26/12
                  diagnosed w/asthma 11/11

Comment

sjachi...and you are on mine! we'll both be feeling brand new in no time!
                    i think i have all the bugs worked out of the fmla and work. paperwork is submitted.
                    .....~Lisa J~......
                    Married to Michael since 1995
                    Four boys..18, 14, 5, & 3
                    (Youngest is gene positive)
                    Diagnosed in 2003 with HCM
                    Obstructive HCM in 2009
                    Septal myectomy Jan 24, 2012

Comment

There is part of me that wants to watch, but I think I agree it's still too close to home. If they would start it when they're inside doing everything I think I'd be ok, but I don't think I can get through the incision, cracking portion.
                      I still have sternum pain and I'm pretty sure it would aggravate it even more.

Although, if someone could tell me when the "bad" part is done and it's just the actual surgery portion, maybe I could fast forward to that.
                      Diagnosed with HOCM 11/03
                      A-Fib 4/09
                      Ramipril 2.5mg
                      Baby Aspirin

Myectomy 1/3/11 - Mayo Clinic - Dr. Schaff
                      Maze Procedure 1/3/11 - Mayo Clinic - Dr. Schaff

Mom to two crazy dogs

Comment

How many has he done?

Originally posted by rosemarie1125 View Post
                        Thats me everybody!!!! ahh im so nervous to watch it. Im very excited and nervous right now. I had my Septal Myectomy in Sept 2011 with the wonderful Doctor Swistel and his team! I owe my life to them! I will post a comment after I watch it, but I really dont want to watch it alone and im the only one up in my house right now.

Comment

Originally posted by sjsander View Post
                          Hi all, I came across this full septal myectomy video. If you are sensitive to blood do not watch. I thought it was interesting because I had a septal myectomy and Ive always wondered how it was done.
                          http://orlive.com/stlukes/videos/hcm
                          Hi Guys,

For those squeamish at the sight of blood, this youtube video is actually quite good.... it has very little blood.

Having just been diagnosed with HCM, I'm trying to be a bit of a sponge with regards information and found it very interesting!

Rhodian
                          Last edited by rhodian; 02-17-2012, 11:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Rosemarie, I was wondering if that was you when he said a young woman in her early twenties!! It is a great, educational video. I only walked away when they were emptying the blood from the heart, otherwise watched the whole thing. It's was 1 year yesterday for my myectomy. Yeah, may not be a good idea to watch it before you have the surgery...
                            Mer

Diagnosed 09/2009 @51 yrs old- HCOM
                            Myectomy 2/17/2011
                            Son & Daughter no findings as of yet (echos)
                            No family history determined yet -- 1 sister, 2 brothers & extended family.

Comment

Tried to watch it am having mine done Friday February 24th couldn't get past the incision.........

Comment

Don't worry Laureen, I had my surgery almost 4 years ago and I can't get past the incision either. You'll do fine.
                                Linda
                                Onward and Upward !

ICD 10/08

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X