If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Septal Myectomy Video

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

sjsander Septal Myectomy and AICD Implant in June 2007 at Mayo Clinic Rochester-Dr. Joseph Dearani Find out more about sjsander
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Septal Myectomy Video

Hi all, I came across this full septal myectomy video. If you are sensitive to blood do not watch. I thought it was interesting because I had a septal myectomy and Ive always wondered how it was done.
    http://orlive.com/stlukes/videos/hcm

Re: Full Septal Myectomy Video

Me too, I've always wondered how it was done too. Thanks for posting this.
    Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
    Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
    ICD 10/08

Comment

I've read text on the procedure and even requested photos of my heart during the procedure (thanks to the Mayo's 10 photographers and to dis-spell rumors I didn't have a heart), but never seen a video - Cool!
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Am not up to watching this but did the first few seconds when I found it on Google -- needless to say I am way to squeamish although I did watch my carpal tunnel surgery as it was being done, yuck and hats off to all the medical professionals.

Marc, I saw the "movie" of my ASA and stent placement because the doctor insisted on showing it to me as he narrated. I am so glad he did because not only was it interesting, it gave me a better understanding of the skill and ability needed to do this.

If you can, take the time and watch it.

Comment

Ohhhhhhh and I'm a nurse. You know, for as much as I wanted to know the particulars of how things were done, I can't watch it. Even after almost 4 years, it's still hits a little too close to home for me.
          Onward and Upward !

ICD 10/08

Comment

Amazing! Hard to watch, but amazing!

Leon
            God Squad co-moderator
            Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Great movie! I was fascinated to see how they performed the septal myectomy and mitral valve repair. Thanks for posting this.

John
              Diagnosed HCM 1998
              Myectomy June 2010
              50 mg Toprol XL

Comment

Thanks for posting that video. Ihave wanted to see this since i had mine 2003. Now I know amazing.

Comment

I tried to watch it and didn't even make it past the incision. I am with Linda. Too close to home.
                  Daughter of Father with HCM
                  Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                  Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                  ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                  Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Hmmmmmm....I'm torn. I have an intense curiosity and great interest in medical procedures. However, I also have a great fear that it will throw me into a panic and irrational anxiety since I am only two weeks away from having this done. Sometimes the less you know beforehand actually is better. I will watch it after it's over!!
                    .....~Lisa J~......
                    Married to Michael since 1995
                    Four boys..18, 14, 5, & 3
                    (Youngest is gene positive)
                    Diagnosed in 2003 with HCM
                    Obstructive HCM in 2009
                    Septal myectomy Jan 24, 2012

Comment

Lisa,
                      I think that is a very good plan!! You certainly don't need anything that will stir your pot. Looking forward to hearing from you after you have joined our specialty club "The Myectomites".
                      Linda
                      Onward and Upward !

ICD 10/08

Comment

I had to put my fingers in my ears while they were sawing, but it's really amazing!

Comment

Just reading the word "sawing" was enough to freak me out. I am almost 6 years out from my surgery and I still can't really handle it. I am glad to have been totally unconscious and unaware of what was going on. And I have no need to visualize, even now!

For the rest of you whose curiosity allows viewing this video, I salute you. You have a stronger make up than I!
                          Daughter of Father with HCM
                          Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                          Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                          ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                          Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I usually want to see things like my own surgeries. Not this one.

Gordon
                            Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Thats me everybody!!!! ahh im so nervous to watch it. Im very excited and nervous right now. I had my Septal Myectomy in Sept 2011 with the wonderful Doctor Swistel and his team! I owe my life to them! I will post a comment after I watch it, but I really dont want to watch it alone and im the only one up in my house right now.
                              Sincerely,
                              Rosemarie
                              24 years old
                              Diagnosed with HCM as an infant
                              100 mg Toprol XL
                              Septal Myectomy Sept 2011

"Since we can not run in the park, we can be the ones to take a stroll, look around and enjoy the simple things in life." - Me =)

Comment

Working...
                              X