If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Septal Alcohol Ablation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Robbie Find out more about Robbie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• karen
    replied
    I to must add my praise of Dr. Wigle. Although I didn't have ablation, he did my myectomy in 1987. At this time it was a fairly new surgery with under 100 done. He was assisted with the surgery by a Dr. William's I believe from the children's hospital. I found both of the doctors very caring. And just last year I was contacted by Dr. Woo with reguards to the paper that Dr. Wigle is doing. I just wish there were doctors who knew as much as him in Nova Scotia.

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied
    Tara, we used to spend a lot of time in Muskoka at Arrow Head Provincial Park, Huntsville and Hidden Valley.
    Love the area, I now have a place in Haliburton, so we don't get over there that often anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    Hi Jan - send my best to Russ. sorry to hear that his symptoms are returning.... let us know how he is doing in the future.
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Septal Ablation

Hi Lisa! It's been a long time since I've been on this website - wow, what a change! I'm guilty of not taking the time to read this lately - busy with a new job and all. Anyway, just wanted to add some comments. Russ had his septal ablation a year ago, and unfortunately, his symptoms are coming back big time! We go to UCSF February 5th and see Dr. Chatterjee. Very interested in hearing what he has to say. His ICD doctor in Reno has raised his meds back up but so far, it hasn't done much except make him more tired than usual. I will write again and let you know the outcome of the doctors appointment.

Leave a comment:

• Tara
    replied
    Hi
    I grew up in Muskoka, went to public school and high school there. My family still lives up there. Right now I am living in downtown Toronto going to the University of Toronto. I just moved to Toronto in Sept up until than I was living in British Columbia. Moving to downtown Toronto was a little scarey for me at first being from such a small northren Onterio town but its going well for me. I must admit it did take alittle getting usded to.

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied
    Hi Tara, nice to hear from other Canadians, what area of Toronto do you live, I live in Whitby.

Leave a comment:

• Tara
    replied
    Hello
    All this talk about Toronto, and Dr. Wigle...WOW!!!!
    When I had my ablation done in 2000 I beleive that I was number 13. I know that during that year they had many ablations planned. Just from personal expereice, the staff and doctors at Toronto gereral are very knowledgeable in HCM. I was very confident in all of the doctors and surgeons there. We are lucky to have such a place in Canada.

With all this cold that we have been having here camping in Algonquin sounds great.

Take Care
    Tara

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied
    Good Book

Robbyn, I will, I see him in April, he lets me do moderate exercise and I have been doing a lot of cycling the last year and have riden close to the distance on the Becel Ride so I hope I can convince him.
    Before I got my place in Haliburton we spent a lot of time in the Algonquin interior.
    For Christmas my wife bought me a book called The Last Guide, basically it's about the last guide who took people into the interior of the park and also went back in time and told stories of guides like Tommy Thompson.
    The area the last guide was describing was the area going south on Smoke Lake into Ragged Lake and a few others, that is where we always went so it was great reading about it.
    The book is available at Chapters, I recomend it.
    I feel like a movie and book critic today.

Leave a comment:

• Robbyn
    replied
    Lisa,

I would say that is a pretty darn good memory!

And Glen, I will report on my progress and I hope to be out camping again this year. Maybe the interior of Algonquin this time. Please let me know what Dr. Wigle says about the Don Valley.

Take care,
    Robbyn

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied
    Robbyn, good luck with whatever procedure you decide on.
    Keep us informed on your progress.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    Robbyn - thanks for the actual numbers as I have not been feeling that well I have not been in my office (where I keep all my HCM Stats) so I have been working off memory...which is medicated at the moment so not as clear as I would like!
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Robbyn
    replied
    Lisa

You are right, Dr. Wigle told me back in September 2002 that 40-50 procedures had been done at that time. I will be having one or the other done there in the near future.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    As you should feel very strongly about the center you are going to they are VERY good and I do not say that often. There are only a few centers in the world who have been in the HCM "game" for the long haul and Toronto is one of them. RE the correction on the #'ers thing...I am a techy when it comes to HCM stats...please dont take it wrong..they are a great center...just not the leading # of ablations.
    Best wishes,
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• THE JAM
    replied
    Well, I have to admit, I'm not sure whether their numbers are third on the world list or not. I forget the actual number of cases they've done, but I do remember having the impression that it was quite a bit.

I know that when it comes to objectively guaging a hospitals experience and knowledge, you look to the numbers. But to me, numbers weren't so important. I'm pretty lucky, I could have personnaly afforded to have my procedure done anywhere in the world, and I was assured by my home cardiologist (who I think the world of for the excellent care I have received all my life) and the doctors and staff at the hospital that the program they have at Toronto general is among the best in the world. They told me that if they believed I could get better treatment somewhere else by going outside of the country, they would tell me. After my experience there, I believe them.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    I think the world of Dr. Wigle his work has lead to many advances in HCM treatment. The Center in Toronto is very good.
    I must say that their numbers of ablations are not the highest in the world - if they are there is a problem with over utilization - so I think you may just have that one fact wrong, because I do not think that the Toronto crew would over use the procedure. Germany has done over 800 and Spencer between MUSC and Baylor is at about 400.
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X