If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Patrick's (3/17) Myectomy (wish me luck)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

franklins Father had "IHSS"; I was diagnosed in 2005. Find out more about franklins
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hocmdoug
    replied
    Re: St. Patrick's (3/17) Myectomy (wish me luck)

There's no place like home....

Leave a comment:

• franklins
    replied

Home again.
    So happy.

Thanks all.

Frank S.

Leave a comment:

• gfox42
    replied

Great news! Behave yourself!

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• Frosty
    replied

Great News, Frank -- now just enjoy your son and wife.

Leave a comment:

• franklins
    replied

M Day + 7
    3/24 4:30 PM

Looks like they read the notes and I'm going home!
    Surgeon came by, all clear to manage mysteries as outpatient.
    Now packed and waiting for transport OUTTA HERE!

Frank S.

Leave a comment:

• franklins
    replied

M-Day +7
    Thurs 3/24/11

So, here I am still in hosp.

My local cardiologist, whose specialty is echocardiography & imaging, took time yesterday to look at my mystery echos and visited me 1st thing this AM.

1st was too low res to tell, but 2nd was detailed enough he could see mitral valve close nicely, and what looked like unobstructed flow out the aorta past the surgical site.

Gradient number, however, as measured also includes portions of LV fluid dynamics, so "gradient" may be within LV.

Surgeon pulled into an all night transplant, so no news/update from him. Hope he reads my Dr's notes on echo, hate to think I'll be a prisoner here until my exit gradient meets "normal"expectations.

Frank S.

Leave a comment:

• mbcube
    replied

Jim's quite right, Everyones heart behaves differently after such an assault. Hope things continue to improve.

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Frank,

Sorry to hear the news but hang in there, it's much too soon to judge the outcome of your myectomy. Everyone's heart misbehaves a bit after such an assault and you may well see that gradient back down again. Glad you are feeling better. It sounds like you are having a great recovery! Walking, eating, pooping and getting off the pain meds are all very good signs!

Please keep us posted.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• franklins
    replied

M-Day +7 (II)

Gfox- your comments really helpful.

Yesterday, mini v tach events all over my monitor, today all quiet.
    I think HCM hearts are simply not as well understood.

Going by symptoms, I continue to get stronger, walking more, eating more, pooping more. No pain meds needed tonite, will sleep normal dreams.
    Just sad I'm still in hospital, not home with family.

Mitral valve in a healing heart may behave pretty wacky.
    It's just that they never saw this result (low OR gradient, higher gradient in recovery) before.

I hope it stimulates a desire to understand.

Frank S.

Leave a comment:

• gfox42
    replied

Hi Frank,
    Sorry to hear it.

If it helps (and I know it won't help all that much), you should know that there are times when mitral valves can misbehave. The question is whether they do so when it matters (and by that I mean when you're using the thing, not when they're giving you an echo).

A couple of years ago I went for my checkup in Cleveland and had something similar going on: when they gave me amyl nitrate I suddenly appeared to be badly obstructed again, with a gradient over 100. It appeared that my papillary muscles were doing a poor job of holding my mitral valve where it was supposed to be held. Dr. Lever and I did talk a bit about surgery (I believe he said something to the effect that this was an easy repair -- it was just getting to it that'd be hard). Needless to say, I was pretty sure we were going to be scheduling some more surgery. So I was quite willing to stay an extra day for some more testing, but I expected bad news.

The next day, they did a stress echo and my mitral valve behaved perfectly well -- I had a gradient of something like 5 or 10. The conclusion: let's not worry about the obstruction under amyl nitrate, since I seemed to handle exercise just fine and I don't spend my time snorting amyl nitrate. Is there some problem lurking in my mitral valve? I suspect that sooner or later it may cause me real trouble -- but as long as it's later, that's fine with me.

I don't know that your situation is comparable, but there may be at least a crude analogy. Don't give up hope yet!

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• CeeBee
    replied

Holy moly, Frank, best of luck. Just hang in there until you get more news. You've been really brave, & everybody wishes you the best. (I haven't posted, but I've been following and wanted to say best of luck now!!)

Leave a comment:

• franklins
    replied

Not so Fast...

M-Day +6

So, getting set to go but need a final echo, which they ran this AM. At lunch, Dr comes in with bad news - Gradient meaured at 110 (only 15 or so when leaving OR).

Mitral valve flapping around like a flag. Still obstructed,. Apparently

Bulked up my fluids and made a new echo, waiting for interpretation.
    No matter what, 1 more nite in hosp.
    And operation may have failed. Or not. Who knows.

Waiting...

Frank S.

Leave a comment:

• mbcube
    replied

Frank - word of caution, Your doing great, keep it up. But be ready for some occassional "not so good days," Nothing to scare you, but you'll find once you get home and into your routine there that there may be some days your body says - Whoa, take it easy buddy!
    Its normal. Just listen to your body, rest when tired, walk when you can, breathe in to that thingy for a good 2-3 weeks once your home. You'll see advancement in distance every day, but there are gonna be days that you may not be up to that distance. Just chalk it up and keep you mind focused on the better days ahead -
    Best to you & yours

Leave a comment:

• gfox42
    replied

Frank,
    It sounds as though you're doing great!

Keep walking!

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• franklins
    replied

M Day + 5

Getting better every hour. Did 5 laps around the nurses station, tired but pretty happy.

Talking about discharging me tomorrow - no infections, strength growing, good appetite, getting cranky I can't leave the ward to look at nice artwork down the hall (must stay in range for my wireless heart monitor).

More later,

Frank S

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X