If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Patrick's (3/17) Myectomy (wish me luck)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

franklins Father had "IHSS"; I was diagnosed in 2005. Find out more about franklins
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Patrick's (3/17) Myectomy (wish me luck)

1 day post-surgery, Frank got out of bed & sat in a chair. Very good progress, according to doctor. It amazes me how things we normally take for granted take on such huge importance now, every small step a milestone. He is still weak, but each time I go in, he seems more like himself. He had a rough night due to a bad roommate they stuck in with him after midnight.

We are waiting for some of the tubes to be removed so he can be moved out of ICU. At this point, they are really annoying him. Maybe tomorrow! Fingers crossed!

Comment

That's great -- they didn't have me up nearly that quickly.

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Sounds great! Day by day. Mike

Comment

Sounds good!

I remember those tubes, I won't lie, they hurt.

The thing that bugged me the most was the main line in my neck that ran all the way down into my heart. Oh I begged them to remove that, they finally did, but it was days with that thing - ugh.

Please tell Frank we are thinking of him. And please let him know how important it is to use the blow pipe.

Lots of hugs to you both.
          49 yrs. old
          Diagnosed at 31.
          Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
          First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
          Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
          Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
          My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
          2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Glad to hear all went well, sounds like he's moving right along.I had a woman in ICU who kept calling to her husband and wailing that she was going to die,that sure made the time go slow.(I was in ICU 6hrs) Sitting up in a chair in ICU is great, everything now should go real fast. A quick recovery to you Frank!
            John F.
            Last edited by maztbo; 03-19-2011, 03:08 PM.
            had HCM since birth
            'enlarged heart' identified in 96'
            HOCM dx in 7/08
            Myectomy 8/09
            extended Myectomy 5/10
            'End stage' HCM dx 8/10
            CRT-D implanted 9/10
            evaluated for Transplant 11/10
            Listed for transplant 6/11

Comment

Glennia, thank you for the updates. Be sure to tell Frank "welcome to the myectomite club". LOL

It all gets better from here---tubes come out, off to the step down unit, walks in the hallway...home.
              ICD 1/20/10
              Myectomy 8/25/10
              @ Johns Hopkins
              Surgeon Duke Cameron

Comment

Hello All,

Frank is 3 days post-op now, and doing well. When I left this afternoon, they were planning to remove the chest tubes and neck catheter, which is a big relief. Frank was bothered by in IV line they had in his left arm that was not hooked up to anything, so they removed it and the numbness went away in his arm and hand.

He's still in the ICU, but thankfully, the loud roommate was transferred to another room. He was able to get a good night's sleep last night for the first time since he's been at Stanford. We're hoping that they can move him to the general nursing floor today. He's making great progress, though he is uncomfortable and not able to move much with all the tubes and wires attached to him. He has been getting out of bed and into the chair more, which is great!

Thanks again for all your prayers and good wishes!

Doug, I told Frank you said "welcome to the myectomite club" and he laughed (as much as he could w/o hurting). Thanks for that.

Best to all,

Glennia
                Frank's (franklins) Wife

Comment

The initiation to the club is kind of rough LOL But it sounds like Frank is doing well.
                  ICD 1/20/10
                  Myectomy 8/25/10
                  @ Johns Hopkins
                  Surgeon Duke Cameron

Comment

You'll know all is well when he begs for a shower. Once he gets one, it like a huge milestone & the healing will happen so fast. (isn't it amazing how the body responds??!)
                    Marc
                    Diagnosed @ 48
                    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

So its Frank himself, trying to text from my step-down ICU room. MUCH better than the ICU **** I had, but more on that later.

Hard to use smartphone wwith cardiac wires all over but bettr than no conn ection. Recovery going well day by day, seems I end up each dday better than day before, but still wek time nd lousy times. Managing with little, sometimes no pain meds and actually feel cozy in bed sometimes. And sometimes not.

All your wisheds so helpful, G printed and read in iCU.

Thanks

Frank S.
                      Father had "IHSS"
                      "Exercise induced asthma" since age 40
                      Diagnosed with HCM age 44 (2004)
                      Myectomy and L Ant Artery unbridging Stanford Dr. Mallidi 3/17/2011

Comment

Glad to hear things are going well.
                        Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                        ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                        Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                        Mom of Kaye.

Comment

M Day + 5

Getting better every hour. Did 5 laps around the nurses station, tired but pretty happy.

Talking about discharging me tomorrow - no infections, strength growing, good appetite, getting cranky I can't leave the ward to look at nice artwork down the hall (must stay in range for my wireless heart monitor).

More later,

Frank S
                          Father had "IHSS"

Comment

Frank,
                            It sounds as though you're doing great!

Keep walking!

Gordon
                            Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Frank - word of caution, Your doing great, keep it up. But be ready for some occassional "not so good days," Nothing to scare you, but you'll find once you get home and into your routine there that there may be some days your body says - Whoa, take it easy buddy!
                              Its normal. Just listen to your body, rest when tired, walk when you can, breathe in to that thingy for a good 2-3 weeks once your home. You'll see advancement in distance every day, but there are gonna be days that you may not be up to that distance. Just chalk it up and keep you mind focused on the better days ahead -
                              Best to you & yours
                              Marc
                              Diagnosed @ 48
                              Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                              Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                              AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                              After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                              Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Not so Fast...

M-Day +6

So, getting set to go but need a final echo, which they ran this AM. At lunch, Dr comes in with bad news - Gradient meaured at 110 (only 15 or so when leaving OR).

Mitral valve flapping around like a flag. Still obstructed,. Apparently

Bulked up my fluids and made a new echo, waiting for interpretation.
                                No matter what, 1 more nite in hosp.
                                And operation may have failed. Or not. Who knows.

Waiting...

Frank S.
                                Father had "IHSS"

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X