If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Patrick's (3/17) Myectomy (wish me luck)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

franklins Father had "IHSS"; I was diagnosed in 2005. Find out more about franklins
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Patrick's (3/17) Myectomy (wish me luck)

M-Day minus 1/2
    Wed 3/16 8:30 pm

My family came by and hung out for the evening. My son taught me to play Angry Birds, which looks good for days of distraction in recovery.

What do you say when the nurse comes by and whispers "would you like a private room?" My wife gave an immediate 2 thumbs up, and instead of listening to a chemo patient snore all night (and his family looked very unthrilled to see us, for sure) I have a nice quiet room all to myself, with a view of the cherry trees blossoming out the window. Sweet! Nurses being nice can make all the difference.

Dr Mallidi came by, met the family, and chatted a bit. He seems relaxed and confident.

All is looking up for a good procedure tomorrow.

Frank S.
    Father had "IHSS"
    "Exercise induced asthma" since age 40
    Diagnosed with HCM age 44 (2004)
    Myectomy and L Ant Artery unbridging Stanford Dr. Mallidi 3/17/2011

Comment

Good luck!

Mary

Comment

I am sending my prayers for the surgeons hand in the procedure and speedy recovery!
        Shelly
        Choose to laugh instead of cry...it's prettier!
        Remember...
        You always have the option to change.

Diagnosed 1994 with no family history
        AICD 10/06
        Mayo Clinic Myectomy 11/07 Joe Dearani

Comment

Good Luck!!! Stanford is awsome!!! Mike

Comment

May the Luck of the Irish be with ya today, really good luck

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi--Frank's wife here. Our son, Alex, and I were able to go in at 5:30 am to see Frank off into surgery. He seemed very calm, and happy to see us. He remarked that he was overwhelmed by all the positive support he has gotten here. We are very grateful for all of your prayers and good wishes over the past few weeks. Thank you all so much!

The nurse came in around 6:00 am to do the preliminary prep of shaving his chest. I told him he now had his first experience with "manscaping" and that he was lucky they didn't wax him because that would hurt a lot more. We tried to joke with him and keep the mood light.

They wheeled him to the pre-op room, and we were able to visit while the anesthesiologist put another IV line in. He was a little tense, but we tried to distract him with stories of Alex's art exhibit at school today.

Frank is not a particularly religious person, but has studied Buddhism. He asked for a little statue of Buddha by his bedside, and that gave him something to focus on. I remember when we did the birthing class before Alex was born, they recommended having a focal object if you started feeling pain or anxiety. I recommend this for any of you contemplating surgery. A little momento of home (religious or not) might help through some of the anxiety of going into surgery.

Anyway, we left as they were wheeling him down the hall toward the OR. We will be back at the hospital at 9:30 for an update. We're lucky we live down the street from the hospital, so we could come home for a little rest & breakfast. I have a feeling it's going to be a long day.

Again, we thank you for all the good wishes and prayers.

Glennia

Comment

Glennia,
                Frank's in excellent hands. Tell him we're all rooting for him and look forward to hearing from him in a few days, when he's up to it.

Gordon
                Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Glennia
                  Sweet of you to keep us informed when you have sooo much going on. As you know, where here for you as much as Frank. Be sure to tell him his HCMA family is there with him in spirit.
                  Marc
                  Diagnosed @ 48
                  Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                  Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                  AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                  After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                  Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Frank's surgery went really well! No major complications or problems so far. They just took him off the ventilator and he is talking. In fact, he asked me to post! Your encouragement and support has been a godsend to us.

The ICU only allows visitors every 2 hrs for 30 mins, so I am in and out. I got to be there for the removal of the tube. He's still groggy. I have lots of notes on the surgery, but it's hard to post from the iPad

Comment

Glennia, I'm very glad Frank is out of surgery and doing well.

Well wishes to him for a speedy and easy recovery.

When I had my surgery, I had my cross with me and I even had a Catholic Priest come to my room and pray with me. I'm Christian, not particularly Catholic, but I requested a priest and he was very nice.
                      It was good to have prayer in the room.

I will pray for Frank.

Please keep us posted
                      49 yrs. old
                      Diagnosed at 31.
                      Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                      First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                      Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                      Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                      My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                      2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

So glad to hear this! Continued prayers and best wishes for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery - Linda

Comment

I'm glad it went well! I hope everything stays smooth.
                          Diagnosed (w/obstruction) 2003 at 39
                          Alcohol Septal Ablation Feb. 2006
                          Myectomy April 2007 Cleveland
                          Pacemaker dependent (no ICD)
                          Thankful and doing fine

Comment

That's great to hear! Here's hoping for an uneventful recovery.

Gordon
                            Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Great news, Glennia. Thanks for the update!
                              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I am also adding my prayers and best wishes for both Frank and Glenna. And many thanks for the wonderful communication.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X