If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Patrick's (3/17) Myectomy (wish me luck)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

franklins Father had "IHSS"; I was diagnosed in 2005. Find out more about franklins
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Patrick's (3/17) Myectomy (wish me luck)

Thanks Frank - you either have the greatest sense of humor or are just a weirdo (prefer to think the former) and really made my day. Let me know if your teeth start transforming into fangs.

Seriously though, get your blood at a reputable blood bank since you never know if you will wind up with something a lot worse than HCM.

Oops, not laughing at you or trying to make fun of you, just think it is a great way of getting your mind off upcoming surgery and the aftermath - hope you never lose your ability to let your mind wander off into the absurd.

Comment

Frank,
      I'd foget about t shirts your upper arms to shoulders will be sore from the position they put them in during the operation (over your head). and with the heart monitors, you're not going to want to have a confinded access to them with a t shirt. I couldn't stand the 'johnies' either, so I brought and wore light and loose fitting short sleve button down shirts (cotton), with a pocket for the wireless telemetry unit to fit in (it's a little bit bigger than a pack of cigarettes). I was comfortable, the nurses had access to the monitor probes and I didn't have to lift my arms. "Erin Go Bra" and good luck!
      John F.
      had HCM since birth
      'enlarged heart' identified in 96'
      HOCM dx in 7/08
      Myectomy 8/09
      extended Myectomy 5/10
      'End stage' HCM dx 8/10
      CRT-D implanted 9/10
      evaluated for Transplant 11/10
      Listed for transplant 6/11

Comment

Hello everyone! I'm franklins wife wife and having been reading your responses to his posts. It makes a huge difference to have so much support and expert advice! Thank you all so much. I will try to update you when Frank is in the hospital and recovering.

Best wishes to all of you!

Comment

We'll count on it - know that we are thinking of you and all family and friends too -

Linda

Comment

Good Luck...You will do Great !!
            Myectomy, Nov 9th 2009 age 53
            Loma Linda Univ
            Redlands, Ca

Comment

M-Day minus 3
              Mon. 3/14/2011

Minus 3 - getting awfully close!

Spent some time today trying to wrap up some loose ends, get bills paid, and treat myself to some special things - although I'm 'almost' vegetarian, normally not eating meat (and benefiting a lot from it), all your comments on getting lots of protein led me to pig out on bacon for breakfast today, and we went for Steak at Flemings tonight. I haven't had a steak in over a year, and am still reeling - but it was tasty, no doubt about it. I hope you guys are right, and I'm stockpiling all that protein to put to good use (instead of simply adding another inch to my waistline...)

On your advice (thanks, matzbo!), I'm abandoning my usual loose T-shirts and stocked up on button-up pajamas on sale today at Sears, 60% off. Got a $36 robe for $9 too - how can you go wrong with a deal like that? Made me feel good to get a deal.

Trying hard not to think of the negative possibilities - I know we ought to get our wills and Trust paperwork updated, but our atty didn't return the call and we may just not get to wrap up that loose end. Not that much needs changing, but I thought this would be a good chance to do the update. Oh well.

Maybe silly, but I'm actually feeling sort of buoyant - with enough planning, with the threat of a strike at Stanford gone, with the next days laid out ahead of me (and getting a bargain on sale too), I guess I've made my path and now am following it and am feeling lucky.

Again, all your thoughts and encouragement have been so helpful to keep eyes on the long term outcome, and the more I think about that, the calmer I get.

I hope it lasts.

Frank S.
              Father had "IHSS"
              "Exercise induced asthma" since age 40
              Diagnosed with HCM age 44 (2004)
              Myectomy and L Ant Artery unbridging Stanford Dr. Mallidi 3/17/2011

Comment

Kick some butt Frank!!!!
                Myectomy August 3, 2010
                Dr. Smedira -Surgeon Cleveland Clinic
                Dr. Harry Lever -Cardiologist Cleveland Clinic

Comment

M-Day minus 2
                  Tues 3/15/2011

So, I went in this AM to meet the cardiologist who will be doing the angiogram tomorrow. A very nice visit.

This I wasn't really expecting, but it does make sense - if someone needs a bypass, no time like when your chest is open to do the job. Hate to have to do this again for clogged arteries if we don't have to.

It sounds pretty straightforward - they'll relax and somewhat sedate me, and he'll go in through the arms and poke around the heart, inject some dye, and they do an X-ray to look at those coronary arteries. He'll also make a bunch of pressure measurements to give to the surgeon for the operation on Thursday. It should take about 3 hours total, but they say there's a recovery period too when I'll be bored as can be.

Because of the sedation, I'm not supposed to eat anything A great way to make me grumpy.

I understand the symptoms should be quite different if I needed bypass as well, and I understand the chance of this turning up is pretty small (I asked my surgeon's nurse how many times they find they need to do a bypass with a myectomy, and she said "I've never seen it"). But it will chew up all afternoon tomorrow - something we hadn't quite planned on. One of those things where you have to go with the flow, I guess - and hope our sitter can do extra time in a pinch.

More later; I liked the angio/catheter Dr a lot, and apparently he went to Med School with HCM CoE Dr Ashley, so knows HCM well. At least I seem in good hands.

More later,

Frank S.
                  Father had "IHSS"

Comment

Good luck Frank! I'll be thinking of you.

Marc was right--stocking up on DVD's and netflix is key. Among other things, I made it through four seasons of Sopranos.

In the hospital, the handy things to have were the iPod, and some comfy walking slippers. As soon as you're out of ICU, they're on you to walk walk walk, even if it's just very slow laps around the nurse's station. So sweats or pajamas were also big--don't want to go walking in that hospital gown!
                    Diagnosed (w/obstruction) 2003 at 39
                    Alcohol Septal Ablation Feb. 2006
                    Myectomy April 2007 Cleveland
                    Pacemaker dependent (no ICD)
                    Thankful and doing fine

Comment

Good luck Frank. I will be thinking about you.
                      ICD 1/20/10
                      Myectomy 8/25/10
                      @ Johns Hopkins
                      Surgeon Duke Cameron

Comment

Frank, wishing you best of luck on your surgery tomorrow (how could you go wrong on Saint Patty's Day)! We'll all be thinking of you here and look forward to getting updates on your progress. You are very well prepared so just try to relax at this point and let it happen (easier said than done I know). You're in good hands and will do quite well. Frank's wife, thanks for signing up to keep us posted, we appreciate it.
                        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Frank - Wishing you the luck of the Irish tomorrow. Here's hoping you have a speedy and fast recovery and feeling better than ever!

Cynthia
                          Attached Files
                          Daughter of Father with HCM
                          Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                          Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                          ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                          Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Will be looking for your posts from the "other side" of the myectomy. Take care.
                            Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
                            Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
                            ICD 10/08

Comment

Don't get too comfortable! We want you back! Sooooon!
                              Sending positive thoughts your way...

Comment

M-Day minus 1
                                Wed 3/16

OK - in the hospital now. They did this Very nice cath procedure thru my right arm, and I hardly felt a thing. The nurses were great - talkative and making nice jokes about this and that. And once I settled down I imagined I was in Hawaii the whole time. Must be the meds.

Nice pictures - all arteries cleared for takeoff, no bypass needed.

Feeling rather chipper. Now I'm in the bed on the regular ward pre-surgery, tomorrow at 5 they're supposed to come whisk me into surgery prep. If tomorrow goes as smoothly, I'll be out of here in no time. Very nice staff and Drs, very professional, but a bit disorganized for ward to ward transfers.

You've wished me luck, and I feel it - luck is with me.

Frank S
                                Text from my Google Phone in my Hosp bed.
                                Father had "IHSS"

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X