If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, I am going to have a myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

tschribe Married, 50 years old, Diagnosed July o6, IHSS, Septal Myectomy performed at Mayo Clinic 04/03/09, Find out more about tschribe
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I am going to have a myectomy

[, Hello all, Thank you for the welcome to HCMA. This is my first post and congratulations to they paid it. I was diagnosed with IHSS in July of 2006 after my sisters death, I have underwent treatment with a beta blocker since. As of last Thursday, my cardiologist has informed me that I must undergo a myectomy at the Mayo Clinic, Its all new to me and my head is just spinning with many questions. If anyone could please shed some light on what I wil be up against, I will greatly apppreciate it. I am 50 years old, Married, and yes my wife is full of questions that I cannot answer. I currently and have been a high stress job for the past 20 years, Live in Southeast Iowa. On the 19th I have an appt. with my cardiologist for getting the surgery scheduled. Please advise, Thanks, Tom

Re: Hi, I am going to have a myectomy

Tom - I copied your post to the appropriate section so that you might get more answers.

I personally had a myectomy at Mayo 2.5 years ago, and it was the best decision I have ever made. I feel so much better since then, although not perfect, much improved. It has changed my quality of life for the better. The doctors and staff at Mayo are amazing, and you won't believe how easy it is once you are actually there.

Please do go through the archives here, as everyone before you has had the same questions and fears and you can learn from them. You are in good company here.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Tom - I too am 50 and I'm 6 months post op. Please do use the search feature here - you'll see all sorts of folks and how they dealt with it. Also, if you haven't already, please call the office & order the HCM book. Its chocked full of info. You can PM me if you have any specific questions regarding the surgery there.
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Hello Tom,

I am 50 as well and am 6 moths post op to boot! My job (computer systems administrator) is high stress as well an I've been at it 20 years.
        Rick W.

Diagnosed with HOCM April of 2006
        Myectomy September 11,2008 Cleveland Clinic
        Dual chamber ICD implanted 12/23/09

Comment

Hi Tom I was 50 when I had my septal myectomy ..that was 51/2 years ago. You will get lots of positive feedback here.
          Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Tom - Welcome - You will find much support here. Best wishes - Linda

Comment

Hi Tom,
              I had my myectomy 2 yrs ago, at age 54. I didn't enjoy the experience, but I'd do it again in a minute -- I am MUCH better.

I'll echo what the others have said -- poke around and read postings in the archives, and feel free to ask anything.

Gordon
              Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

My myectomy was performed 5/22/2008 by the Mayo Clinic. I was 65 then and now, at 66, I can do most anything I want to attempt. I'm enjoying a daily exercise routine, tennis leagues, walking, biking, etc. My heart condition is no longer a major concern - - it’s not at the top of my list of aliments (yes, there always seems to be something next on the list, but the next item is significantly less severe).

Surgery was not a “cure” for HCM but the HCM is certainly much more manageable now.

I'm sure you will appreciate the caring professionals at the Mayo Clinic and you will certainly enjoy a much better life as a result of the surgery.
                HCM diagnosed 2002 @ Age 59
                4/23/2008 Surgery recommended
                Myectomy by Mayo Clinic on 5/22/2008
                2009 - Enjoying an active lifestyle

Comment

Hi Tom,
                  I had a myectomy last week at Mayo performed by Dr Dearani. I know how you are feeling, as my regular cardiologist at Mpls. Heart Institute suggested I consult with Mayo back in October. I put it off until late January and once I decided to go there, everything has been a whirl. I will tell you that the care I received was remarkable. The first week of February was spent going through a boat load of tests, some of which were a bit scary, until after the test, I was wondering why I was ever scared! I wanted to get the surgery over with as soon as possible and scheduled it immediately once it was determined I needed it. It was a ninteen day wait, so I had to stay busy.
                  My wife and I checked in to the Fiksdal motel on March 1st, did an angiogram on the 2nd, and saw Dr. Dearani for a final consult late in the day. It was determined I needed some extra work on the mitral valve and also one of my coronary arteries was covered by excessive muscle growth. None of this posed any problem for these guys, as all it meant was a few extra minutes on the table.
                  I got in line to check in early on Tuesday and got up to a room and they began prepping me. My wife and two of our close friends hung out and we watched some cartoons for a bit. The anesthesiologists name was Bill Oliver, he asked me what music I would like to listen to and they proceeded to que up my favorite track! Probably one song was it and the next thing I knew I was in ICU!!!
                  I must say Tom, it was that easy for me. I went into PCU on wednesday, and began the road to real recovery by walking and doing breathing exercises and stuff. The nurses in that PC unit were fantastic with the help they gave. Thursday they disconneccted some of the apparatus and Saturday we were on the road to our home at Cambridge, MN about 50 miles north of the twin cities.
                  At home my lovely wife has been taking care of me as the weight restrictions are 5-10 lbs. The restrictions are tight, as I tried to lift a gallon of milk for my cereal and it was too much.
                  My wife and friends tell me I have color in my face they have not seen in years, and I believe that is true. I have walked over a mile so far and if not for a recent snow storm, I would be up to 2 I think. I know everyone is different with recovery and stuff, but I have just been doing what they told me to, and I am progressing. Before this surgery I would not have walked a mile! I would not have bothered even trying, and it just came natural.
                  So that is a brief story of my last five weeks. If your wife would like to talk to mine, just let me know, as she would be happy to.
                  God Bless, jay

Comment

Jay - Glad to hear your report - a great encouragement - Best wishes for a continued speedy and uncomplicated recovery - Linda

Comment

I went to Mayos early this month. My left ventricular was 22mm. Dr put me on beta blockers twice a day. Other than shortness of breath, that is the only symtem I have. The beta blockers seem to be working.

If Mayos cant find your problem, it sint because they dont try!

Comment

Thank you all so much, another unwanted stress added to our life late Thursday evening, My father age 84 suffed a siezure. He was taken by ambulance to Great River Medical in Burlington Iowa then transported to U o I hospital in I.C., they discovered 5 tumors throughout and the one that caused the siezure, you guessed it right, was in the brain. He will be going through a proceedure tomorrow and the overall outcome doesnt look good, Tumors on the lung, kidney, liver, adreline gland, and of course the one in his brain. Being the closest to my parents location and care giver it has most definately added the undo stress. I am not going to set my health on the back burner and will proceed as planned. Once again I want to thank all of you for your support and advise. I may not be able to check in as frequently as desired due to circumstances, however I will as time permits. Thanks, Tom

Comment

Tom ..very sorry to hear of the added stress and the challenging situation for your father. We are all here when and how you need us.

Pam
                          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thanks Pam, It means alot. Gettting ready to take mom up to Iowa City now. Be back to check in later tonight. Thanks, Tom

Comment

Tom, As difficult as this is, I'm glad you are able to be with your Mom - take care of you too - Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X