If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bystolic

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

wkevind Find out more about wkevind
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bystolic

Anybody taking Bystolic? I've just been prescribed 5mg Bystolic- replacing Metaprolol 20MG...trying to get away from side effects, I had been taking the Metaprolol for eight years and my GP and I are trying to knock out or identify side effects and which drug is causing them.
    Kevin

Re: Bystolic

Anybody taking Bystolic? I've just been prescribed 5mg Bystolic- replacing Metaprolol 20MG...trying to get away from side effects, I had been taking the Metaprolol for eight years and my GP and I are trying to knock out or identify side effects and which drug is causing them.
    Kevin
    See my post. I was taking 50 mg metropolol for 10 years or so, cardiologist suggested Bystolic 10 mg & it turns out to be the best beta blocker I've been on. Absolutely no side effects.

Comment

Thanks, I'm glad someone had something to say about Bystolic!
      I was starting to think I was a solitary test subject.

Comment

It's a very new drug. and what I've read says that you can't take it if you have heart failure, and many HCMers get heart failure after a while. I haven't seen this injunction in the metropolol info. Any idea why?

Comment

This article gives a good summary of the use of beta blockers for heart failure, although it does not include bystolic. It seems that in the past beta blockers were not recommended for patients with heart failure, but recent evidence shows a significant drop in mortality on beta blockers.

My daughter, who is deep into congestive hear failure and awaiting a transplant, is taking coreg.
          Last edited by EmilysDad; 01-21-2009, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Glad some doctors are coming around. I had inquired about Bystolic in the forum in April. I switched from 100mg Toprol XL to 20 mg Bystolic and had lost all the bad side effects from the Toprol. I no longer have tiredness and my cardiac function and circulation to the extemities has improved. An unexpected effect of the bystolic was to cause some changes in my ICD settings.
            Preston

Comment

....Glad some doctors are coming around. ]

Yes me too!

Funny thing is this was prescribed by my GP (with a follow up consult with my cardio)

The Cardiologist had been poo pooing my negative reactions for eight years the GP said "that ain't right"...love that guy...and changed things around, first weaning me of the Metaprolol then starting me on the Bystolic. I feel great.

My cardio is a nice guy means well but is old school, the GP is curious, smart and did his residency at the Cleavland Clinic... he just likes family practice more than focusing on one specialty. Glad I found him...wish I found him eight years ago.

Comment

Working...
              X