If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Sotolol

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Sotolol

I will be going inpatient for a few days after May8th to get started on Sotolol and to see if it will help with keeping my a-fib at bay.

How long average 1-3 days?

What issues did anyone have then , have now ?

Any advise helpful. Dr M mentioned another one ... starts with a D. Dolfet...??? He says they have used that one with HCM ers also with success.

Thanks for all your help..

I have been dreading this next step and addition for some months now but realize that a-fib is taking its toll on me. As Dr. Maron describes it, it is likely because of my very stiff left ventricle ( severe diastolic dysfunction ) that I am losing ground and positive progress with regards to my functioning. The a-fib severely/negatively impacts my heart each time I have it and it is likely visiting more times then it is being captured on my recorder. These negative effects from it and all that I go through each time no matter how short are causing a cumulative effect. So here we go...

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Re: Starting Sotolol

Pam... I have no advice, as I have no experience with this... but I just wanted to let you know I will be keeping you in my prayers, that this will go well for you. I'm sorry it's been rough going. I hope this will help you. Many blessings, love and light.... Mary
    MaryO

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Diagnosed April of 2000, Septal ablation in 2002, scheduled for Myectomy at Mayo Clinic April 16, 2007, cancelled April 13, 2007 due to disappearance of obstruction and symptoms, radio frequency ablation at Mayo Clinic January 29, 2010 for AVNRT

Comment

Pam.

My experience with Sotolol was not that difficult. I was in the hospital in 2003 due to A-fib and they thought I needed something stronger than Atenalol. They started me out on a fairly high dose and have increased it a couple of times since so that now I am up to 320 mgs a day (one morning and evening). Like the Dr. said once, “You have a device, so we know it won’t kill you.” There is a danger for elongated Q-T waves.

Positive effects:
      • Most of the time I have far fewer, noticeable PVCs than I used to have.
      • A-fib has been well controlled with only a few breakthrough episodes since July 2003.

Negative effects:
      • Sleep disturbances! I rarely sleep more than 3-4 hours soundly, and then I doze in and out the remaining hours of the night.
      • Sometimes my dreams get pretty dark, and they are often quite vivid.
      • I am not convinced that the beta-blocking properties of Sotolol are everything I need as someone with HCM.
      • The dosing instructions say that you need to take the meds at 12 hour intervals and one hour prior to eating or two hours after eating. Trying to keep all of that straight is a pain at times. Since I wake up 4-5 times a night I usually get awake sometime near 4 a.m. and start my day by chugging Sotolol first thing. Then I make sure I don’t eat anything after 2 p.m. so I am good to go for the afternoon chugging around 4 p.m. (at least one hour before dinner).

So this is my experience with Sotolol. Hope it is helpful.

Peace,

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Pam, I hope this works for you. Please keep us posted.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hey Pam,

Hope the Sotolol does the trick for ya. If I may ask (because I have always wondered about this myself) why is it that folks are put in the hospital when they start Sotolol? What are the possible side-effects that warrant such observation?

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thanks everyone for your kind words and Leon great list for me to have ...very helpful.

Jim,

here is the list and I would wager it is the abnormal heart rhythm that tops the list for requiring hospital admit. Dr M says," well you have a defibrillator so you are covered there." Yeah I can only imagine if something weird happens and my device fires... now that is something I do not desire in my repetoire of HCM experiences.... And if I get the facial muscle drooping / wasting I will be fully blood hound material except that I don't have a tail to wag...LOL

Pam

Common side effects of Sotalol hydrochloride:

Shortness of breath
            Fatigue
            Dizziness and light-headedness
            Headache
            Fever
            Excessively slow heart rate
            Low blood pressure and faints
            Abnormal heart rhythms
            Chest pain
            Palpitations
            Fluid retention
            Rash
            Diarrhoea
            Nausea and vomiting
            Flatulence
            Indigestion
            Abdominal pain
            Fever
            Weakness
            Vertigo
            Sleep disturbances
            Depression, mood changes and anxiety
            Loss of sensation
            Eye irritation
            Blurred vision
            Taste abnormalities
            Hearing disturbances
            Abnormal sexual dysfunction

Uncommon side effects of Sotalol hydrochloride:

Heart failure
            Skin thickening
            Itching
            Unusual dreams
            Wasting of facial muscles
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I am so happy to have found this question. I was just given a prescription for sotolol last week. I'm not too excited about taking it. I have been having trouble with a few syncope episodes. My ICD is pacing me out of some arrhythmias, luckily. My earlier episodes were recorded at 1:00 in the morning a couple times. I got to sleep right through those. Any advice about the medicines or next step.
              Shelly
              Choose to laugh instead of cry...it's prettier!
              Remember...
              You always have the option to change.

Diagnosed 1994 with no family history
              AICD 10/06
              Mayo Clinic Myectomy 11/07 Joe Dearani

Comment

my husband is on sotolol and hes taking 320mgs a day. he also has pretty dark dreams and sleep disturbances but its helping with his a-fib. he has a pacemaker, 2 years now. he was put on sotolol after he had his pacemaker. hes doing well thank God. i hope this helps.

Comment

Pam, I took Sotolol for several years. I really had no problem with it. I do think it helped keep me from worsening for a while. I too was hospitalized while they monitored the dose and the afib. good luck. It will work great.
                  Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                  ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                  Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                  Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Thank you , thank you.. One question more at this time and I know Dr. M will be the official word but,

Do they lower your beta blocker when you start? Just a reminder... I take 100mgs of Atenolol 2 times a day and Diltiazem 360 mgs in am and 180 mgs in pm. I am "overly" beta blocked on purpose( for chest pian control) for the microvascular syndrome component of my HCM.

AND Shelly...I did not know that they can start you on Sotolol without hospitalization! Has anyone got more insight knowledge about this? I would seriously question my doc thoroughly on this. Do you have a defibrillator, actually an AICD?

Pam

Comment

Pam.

I was on Atenalol and the pulled me cold turkey. I asked them about it, but since they were already starting Sotolol they did not seemed to be worried about it. I was not very happy about that, but it may have had to do with the fact that I already had my ICD too.

Leon
                      God Squad co-moderator
                      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Hello Pam,

I started sotalol nearly two years ago and was not hospitalized by my EP because just days before I was in the ER as my ICD gave me an appropriate shock. He would have put me in otherwise. I am only on 80MG (previously stated incorrectly 90mg on another post) twice a day which my EP states is a very low dose. Between the myectomy, maze, cardiac ablation, ICD pacing my LV and the light dose of sotalol, things are working well.

Yes, I have those lovely nightmares, BP between 90/50 and 100/60, pulse at 60 and a bad case of no energy. One thing sotalol doesn't help me do is lose the 25 pounds I have gained on my big butt since all this started in 2002.

I hope the sotalol works great for you. Be well, Janet
                        Believe in the goodness of mankind.

Comment

Pam,

I had and AICD put in Oct 2006. My ICD started beeping at me almost 6 months to the day of being implanted. I went to my EP on Thurs in April and they looked at my device and determined that it was noticing irregular beats, but did not need to due anything. The gentleman from Medtronic hadn't ever had that happen before. However, that night I had a syncope episode and have had another one since. I was wondering if anyone else has had their ICD beep at them. I didn't realize the noise was coming from me until after the 6 th time I heard it. I had my husband (who didn't hear the noise) go all over the house with me to find the noise lol. I had made a complete circle and was at a window before I had my husband lean in and determine the noise was coming from me.

I did talk to Lisa about the sotalol before I filled it. She said you didn't necessarily need to be hospitalized. I had noticed so many others on this board had stated they were in the hospital to start it, so I was a little nervous. It is so great to be able to talk to others about HCM problems. Thanks to you all!

Blessings!

Shelly
                          Shelly
                          Choose to laugh instead of cry...it's prettier!
                          Remember...
                          You always have the option to change.

Diagnosed 1994 with no family history
                          AICD 10/06
                          Mayo Clinic Myectomy 11/07 Joe Dearani

Comment

My ICD started beeping while i was in the fabric store. Scarred me.
                            My Batteries were red lining. The second procedure was easier than the first
                            one. That was a bad experiance.

Good Luck
                            Laura
                            Laura Johnson

Comment

Re: Starting Sotalol

I had my Sotalol load and all went well. Feeling a little dizzy at times and head fog, headachey at times but I am sure it will lift as I get used to it. They took my Atenolol down by 1/2 to 100mgs per day. Left my Diltiazem at 360mgs in AM and 180 mgs in PM. Added Sotalol 80 mgs twice per day and have me on Lasix alternating 20mgs and 40 mgs.

Now... I specifically asked about SOTALOL initiation and no hospital monitoring... This is what I was told:

ABSOLUTELY NOT EVER. This was repeated by several individuals. I do not wish to cause anxiety but you know I see one of the top dogs here on HCM.. When I questioned further I was told:

WE are aware that SOME clinicians do give it out in prescription with out hospital monitoring BUT.. and a very BIG CONCERN for anyone... IT is referred to as AGAINST PRACTICE.

Now the explanation though complex is well documented and warranted for patient safety. The QT interval has to be carefully monitored and kept <520 msec. If the QT interval were to rise above this timed interval, A LETHAL arrythmia "Ventricular tachycardia called Tosades de Pontes," could result. I was told that my defibrillator will protect me but that they just don't jack one up on this class 3 anti-arrythmia med without carefull cardiac monitoring. AND at some time in the future if my dose has to go up it will require additional monitoring for a few days to keep it all safe.

Now I know this will cause a stir but it should, I am very concerned that a doctor would add this med without a short hospitalization for safe cardiac monitoring. In the literature.. they gave me the medical personnel( because I am an RN) and patient advisory information packet. In the medical personnel info it says SOME clinicians will start Sotalol therapy as outpatient basis in a patient without heart disease or bradycardia including specifics to quantitate this choice. BUT CAREFUL EKG monitoring is a must.
                              I believe having HCM is having heart disease and therefore .. end of discussion.

There was a Rhythm Society Conference in Denver Co. this past weekend so perhaps updated info will come to us via Lisa soon.

PLease question things such as this when you read the literature.

Pam

Comment

Working...
                              X