If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wellbutrin SR

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin SR

Hi All,

I'm shopping around for antidepressants today, and have pretty much decided on Wellbutrin SR. Admittedly, the main reason is because it appears to be the only antidepressant with little or no risk of sexual side effects. In fact, it's actually been shown to increase sexual function. For those of us on high doses of beta-blocker, that could certainly be an important benefit.

It also has a lower risk of seizure than several others I looked at, and Dr. Lever feels that it would be quite safe for me to take as an HCM'er. There don't appear to be any major drug interactions with the Atenolol I take either.

Does anyone here have experience with Wellbutrin SR that you could share with me? Anyone taking it with beta-blockers? It's always nice to get real opinions from fellow HCM'ers, rather than relying solely on the literature. Please feel free to PM or email me if you'd rather not discuss it on the board.

Thanks much,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Jim,

I've never taken Welbutrin my docs said too many side effects. What has been the only that has not sent me over the edge (you know what I mean) has been Lexapro. I have been told by several doctors that it is considered to be the one anti-depressant that has the least amount of sid-effects. But, is also one of the more expensive ones.

I hope you're doin ok! Maybe some poker tonight (and no not strip)

Mary

Comment

I just had to say, Mary that is funny!.,..my husband plays poker on partypoker.com
      \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Jim and I have been playing a few times with AOL. But, we are going to try partypoker.com tonight I believe. Soon as he eats his pizza that is! So, the more the Merrier!

Mary S.

Comment

Jim,

I just wanted to say that I hope you'll find something that will work well for you.

You've been such an inspiration for me, with everything that you've been through. You are always a shining light with good advice, and so I hope that you can find something good to help you feel better.

Keep shining!!

Debbie

Comment

Hi Everybody,

Thank you all for the great advice on the Wellbutrin issue. Many of you chose to write in private, which I respect. Debbie, thank you so much for your kind words. I gotta tell you, I don't feel like much of a shining light at ALL right now (hence the topic)... but it sure is nice of you to say that. To be honest, most folks just think I'm a pain in the *ss.

After doing all this research, I walked into my PCP's office this morning and before I even had a chance to say much of anything, he said "Jim, I'd like to start you on Wellbutrin today". I felt so cheated! I didn't even get to give him my big report! LoL. He cited all the same reasons many of you did:

Goes well with HCM.
            Well-tolerated by most people.
            Gets along fine with heart meds.
            Low risk of sexual side effects.
            May help with weight-loss.

I'll post periodic updates to this thread. I realize it's an issue that not everybody wants to talk about, but depression is quite common with HCM, and I want to make the information available on the board. Many folks have posted about the side-effects of being on high doses of beta blocker, and if the wellbutrin helps to counteract any of those, it could be an important find.

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Keep us posted as to how you do. I am glad there is a medication that the doc feels can only enhance the Jim we know and love. Sorry, I don't have any personal experience but know that people I have known have reported good effect with it when they used it.

Pam
              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi Jim,

Hope you'll find the Wellbutrin to be what you need.

And yes, you are a shining light, in that you are willing to shine a light on a subject that many would find too personal or uncomfortable to talk about.

I just want to say thanks for that.

Debbie

Comment

Hi Jim,

I know one person who takes Wellbutrin and she does very well on it.

I take an antidepressant, if I didn't, I'd probably be hangin' off of a bridge somewhere -- only kidding!

I hope the Wellbutrin works for you.

Hugs,
                  Eve
                  49 yrs. old
                  Diagnosed at 31.
                  Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                  First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                  Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                  Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                  My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                  2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Hi Jim, I just wanted to let you know I have taken Wellbutrin in the past. I checked with my cardiologist first, and he said it was ok that I took it. I didn't have any side effects other than not being able to fall asleep. So I had to take the kind that was not a continuous release formula and take my second dose before 3:00 PM. (something you might try if it does the same to you). But it didn't make me jittery or hyper or really sleepy like other things I tried. But I did have ringing in my ears. A friend of mine took it to stop smoking. It worked great for her. She didn't have any side effects and has not smoked in a year and a half. It helped me to stop thinking compulsively about overeating, and I did lose weight. I also take Atenolol and I have heard that it can cause depression. My cardiologist will not confirm that, but I have to wonder. I do seem to be depressed a lot. I've taken beta blockers since I was 16 so I don't really know how else to feel. Wellbutrin did seem to help, but I took it mainly to help me with my obsessiveness about being overweight, eating, etc. I stopped taking it when I felt better, and that was 3 years ago. I didn't go back on it, and now I take so many meds (Coumadin, diuretics, Amiodorone, Atenolol, etc.) that I just can't handle putting another med in my system. So I hope it works for you. It does seem to be the better antidepressant that is out there.
                    Good Luck
                    JoAnna

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the responses, PM's and advice.

I've been on the Wellbutrin for three weeks now and I gotta tell you these little pills are freaking great. Interesting thing I'm learning about anti-depressants... they don't actually make you more happy, they just make you less sad. Instead of waking up every morning dreading the day, I look forward to it now. It's very cool.

As for side-effects, there have been very few, and the ones I did have (a nagging little headache and stiff neck), disappeared altogether after the first week. There have been no side-effects of any kind with the HCM either. It has not increased any of my symptoms or added any new ones I didn't already have. This appears to be a good drug for us, as Dr. Lever had told me.

The positive side-effects have been great. I've lost 8 pounds so far which can be directly attributed to the drug (exercise level and diet did not change). I just don't feel the urge to eat as much as I used to. I've read that Wellbutrin is being considered for marketing as a weight-loss drug now.

As for the sexual side-effects... I won't go into much detail since this is a family show after all. But I do think that this drug could be of genuine help to those who have experienced issues due to high doses of beta blocker, etc. I REALLY mean it.

Jim

Comment

Before having Alcohol Septal Ablation recently, and being on Beta and Calcium Channel blockers, I too took Buproprion (the generic version).

Just like you said, it had no noticeable side effects or contraindications with the cardiac meds.

I have been in a number of studies at NIH, and during my last visit, participated in a study they were doing with a new program that looked at drug/vitamin interactions. Naturally, the Bupropion and cardiac meds were listed along with the many vitamins, supplements, and other meds. There were no flags raised.

Just like you said, it didn't/doesn't make me happy; it just took away the dread and negative orientation I had before. I don't take the SR version, and if I miss the midday dose too often, I notice it.

Best wishes!

Comment

There were no published findings out of that NIH study. The NIH HCM program ended 3 years ago due to multiple failures of the system there. It is unfortunate due to the long history the NIH had in HCM research. Therefore the NIH program has had not had credibility in the past 5-7 years in the larger HCM community. Many patients were not aware of the problems, but the research community was.

Sincerely,
                          Lisa
                          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                          Currently not obstructed
                          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Originally posted by mtlieb
                            Interesting thing I'm learning about anti-depressants... they don't actually make you more happy, they just make you less sad.
                            Exactly. But I'd go further to say that they put you in a frame of mind to deal with whatever is bothering you.
                            Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

I call it, "Talk to the hand."

Most report that instead of taking all the emotional stuff full force to the chest , where it often overwhelms us and shows up like an uninvited quest from out of town, it is now where it belongs , in the boundary set by our out reached hands, where we can look at stuff more objectively. This gives us a chance to say , Get in line now no cutting, NO , later, or never, not important to me, can't hurt me , I saw you coming, I am prepared.

Certainly not feeling so bowled over by so much all at once can prove to make us a lot less sad.

After being on such preparations for awhile , we become accustomed to feeling better able to handle and then it seems our serotonin has balanced out and we may be able to come off the meds ... and sometimes maybe it needs to be longer. Each individuals nervous system reponds a little uniquely because we are all unique but generally we get the same overall benefits from these meds if they are going to work for us .

Glad you have discovered the true and beneficial effects of these medications.

Pam
                              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Working...
                              X