If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Coumadin/Warfarin patients: Vitamin K list

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Sarah Find out more about Sarah
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Coumadin/Warfarin patients: Vitamin K list

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...k/wt_rank.html

A great list of just about every food and some snack foods and their Vitamin K content.

Site also has sugar and other nutrients lists.

Sarah,

I didn't realize USDA had the Vitamin K info available. I noticed that there's a slightly later revision to that data (SR17 vs. SR16) at the following link

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...k/wt_rank.html

fyi, there is a related USDA database that includes tons of nutrient info including calories (kcal), fat, fiber and sodium, etc. There are free (no cost) PC (Windows) and Palm PDA versions of the database software containing the info for download.

Ever wanted to figure out the number of calories, grams of fat and sodium content of that Cobb salad at your local restuarant? The info for the bacon, the egg and the cheese is in this database, but you have to be able to add the values for the ingredients together for the totals. (The Cobb salad is in the neighborhood of 9 weight-watchers points, if I remember correctly).

The database software (which doe not include Vitamin K info, unfortunately) is available for download at:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...SR17/sr17.html

Regards,
    Rob
    --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
    Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Thank you very much Sarah. Great List.

I have been searching the list and I am amazed with the high vitamin k content of some vegetables. Now I am just having a hard work with the dictionary to find out in Portuguese what is the name of those vegetables. Also because I don't often buy vegetables, it seems a hard work finding out what is Kale, Collards, Turnip greens, Beet greens, ... but I will manage!

Tomorrow I will do an ECG Doppler, I am curious to know what will be the results (left atrium diameter, mitral valve regurgitation...)

Fausto

Comment

Hi Fausto,

If you need a simple article (in Portuguese) with foods rich in K vitamin, maybe this link can help: http://www.drashirleydecampos.com.br...0antioxidantes

I use here a Guide to Patients using Oral Anticoagulation. It's more complete but I couldn't find it in an electronic format to send you. Anyway, the food's table is very similar to the above link. A handheld INR checker is very useful for people using long term anticoagulation therapy. But here in Brazil it's expensive (about USD$2500).

I hope you get better results (or stable numbers at least) in the mentioned parameters. Regarding atrial diameter, you should consider that a-fib enlarge it fast. Mine increased from 47mm to 54mm (using the same echocardiogram machine and with the same technician) only after 2 months in a-fib. But my doctor told me it's reversible if you can return to SNR and that it becomes stable if a-fib can't be reversed.

Please post your results.

William.

Comment

Thank you very much William! The vitamin k list written in Portuguese is great.

I have done the ECG, but the report will be given tomorrow. From the conversation with the technician, it seems stable: average gradient 20mmhg, max gradient 40mmhg, left atrium diameter about 60 (slightly less than 4 months ago: 64mm, but it was a different person in the same machine). The mitral valve is moderately insufficient.

I will meet my doctor next week in Lisbon, but with this values I don't think we will mention surgery. Anyhow I will send full details next Tuesday after meeting the doctor, since I will be out the next days without access to the net.

Bye Fausto

Comment

That is extremely helpful; thanks for posting it.

Since green tea has a high Vitamin K content, I have wondered about the content of white tea. Anyone have any idea?
            Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

White tea is just black tea that hasn't been oxidized (just dried) and green tea is black tea that has been oxidized for a short while. Black tea has been oxidized a long time, which is what enhances the flavor and the caffiene.

When I look up black tea, it doesn't have any vitamin K content and green tea does, although most of the actual vitamin K doesn't transfer from the leaves to the water when brewed.

I would suspect that white tea had high vitamin K as well since it is less oxidized than green tea.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
              X