If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twice a day?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jmurray Find out more about jmurray
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twice a day?

Hi Everyone,

Since myectomy Dr. Suri put me on Lopressor 50mg 2X per day. I was on Toprol 100 mg before surgery which I would take in the AM. I have no problem taking my med in the AM when I get up, but I keep forgetting that second pill. Also does 2X a day mean during waking hours? or exactly 12 hours apart? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John
    41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Usually I take it to mean when I get up and when I go to bed. With cardiac meds, though, some people say that they can tell a difference when they've waited too long to take their meds. I guess you should ask the doctor what they suggest.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi John,

I take my atenolol and my Norpace in two even doses about 12 hours apart. I take my am drugs and my pm drugs about 8:30 am and pm. I carry extras in my purse in case I am out somewhere.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

John,

I take mine when I get up (6:30-7:00am) and when I get home from work (5:30-6:00). So it's about 12 hours. If for what ever reason I forget to take it at night, I will feel it a few hours later as my ticker starts giving me a hard time. he he

Fred

Comment

Hi John,I take 100mg toprol twice a day at 8am with my breakfast and at 8pm with dinner(I eat late).Its important for absorption to take these with food.I always take my medications on time its serious business.atleast within 2 hours.I think we get better coverage with the split dose when I was first diagnosed I was taking 100mg toprol in the am,but would still experience symptoms. they decided to double the dose and now thank God I have been feeling ok most days.I would try and schedule myself around breakfast and dinner.I have a "pill basket" which I cant believe.My father had one.I take it out with my breakfast and dinner.If I happen to be going out I wrap up a pill in tinfoil and take it with me.Im so afraid of hcm symptoms it keeps me vigilant with my meds.have a great night mike
          One day at a time.

Comment

I take 100mg of Atenolol a day split dose, spaced 12 hours apart as best I can... approximately 6:00 am and again at 6:00 pm give or take an hour. (I remember reading somewhere that cardiac meds should be taken consistently at about the same time every day so I try to adhere to that). I do understand about missed evening doses though. I can't tell you how many times I've run off to school in the evening without taking my meds... and boy do I realize my mistake about halfway through a 3-hour class.

Jim
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thanks for all of the replys. As I was reading them I thought "oh crap, I forgot to take that second dose again!" I guess I just need to get used to taking this evening pill.

Thanks again,

John
              41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

I keep a bottle of my Toprol XL in my purse and one in the kitchen. And when I had an office, I kept an emergency supply in my desk.

If you have a briefcase or a gym locker, it would be a good place to keep a small stash for emergencies.

Comment

Medications

John,

With all this new tech stuff, there must be a way via cell phone or watch that could remind you. If the phone rings/vibrates or watch buzzes, it must be time to take that 2nd dose! Let's hear how inventive you can be in order to get the full benefit of your meds! My husband asks me every night, "Did you take your meds?" Want him to call you, too?

Continued healing.
                  Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

I take 100 mg am and 100 mg pm of Toprol. I know it is important to take them about 12 hours apart, but frankly compared with not taking them at all, the 12 hours seems relatively insignificant. So, I take mine in the am when I get up and at bedtime. If possible, that is if my schedule permits, I delay the morning ones until midmorning, because I am less likely to forget it. But I never change the night ones because I would always forget if I did not take them at bedtime.

That leads me to another question: What is the importance of taking Toprol with meals? I recently changed providers and the info to take with meals showed up. It threw me for a loop because I had never heard that before. Is this to help with absorption, to prevent side effects, or what?
                    Thanks,
                    Rhoda

Comment

John,

I think you should start taking a nap late in the day. Then when you get up you can take the second pill.

Wake up, take pill. Wake up, take pill.

Got it?
                      This should solve your problem.

Stuart
                      Cleveland Myectomy Club
                      August 31, 2004

Comment

John,
                        I take Lopressor just like you. I asked my Dr. the same question. His response was as long as it was at least 8 hours apart. So if I forgot and took one late at night, I would have to wait a little while when I woke up. I usually take one when I wake up (4:00am) and one at dinner...

Tigger1
                        " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

I have a repeating appointment with alarm set on my PDA for 7:30 am and again for 7:30 pm. It goes off 2 or 3 times, five minutes apart and then give up. The (Palm) PDA is usually somewhere nearby. If you don't already have a PDA you might investigate--some new ones are pretty small and inexpensive, too, and make a great place to keep a copy of your meds list.

I like the idea about a nap, though! If I could only get the kids to cooperate!

Rob
                          --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
                          Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Yeah, I do the same thing with my PDA. I have my pain patch that is every 72 hours and boy does that get confusing. but, if i let the patch get too old I get terrible feelings. Even worse than skipping the beta blockers!

Mary S.

Comment

Working...
                            X