If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

taking meds/travelling

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking meds/travelling

When traveling, for instance to Hawaii, to a different time zone, should I take my meds according to my time zone? I take 2 meds every a.m. and one early evening [/i]
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi Cynthia,

Having just got back from Myectomy and talking to lots of docs, I think you would be okay to stick to your "personal" schedule i.e. pills with breakfast, dinner etc. I wasn't use to taking anything after the AM so I asked about this and the docs said the whole idea was to spread certain meds out through the day for continuous release. Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

John
    41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Hi Cynthia, I think you may notice as many of us do that our hearts are used to the timetable we live with . Sometimes I am late taking my evening meds( yes I forget sometimes) Well the reason I remember is because I do not feel well as the hours pass and my heart is popping , skipping and fluttering all over the place. I think it has it's own mind and starts knocking on the wall and trying to get my attention [ Hello out there is anybody paying attention to my needs in here???]

So I say, probably stay around your regular schedule back here in the east ( within an hour or so anyway).

Have a wonderfull trip!!! How big did you say that suitcase was that you are taking?? I am only a little south from you , ya know.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I don't think I'd get myself up out of bed in Hawaii in the middle of the night to take my AM Eastern meds. I'd probably wait until I get up!

Have fun!

Rob
        --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
        Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

thanks for your responses, guys! you're funny Pam! hey, it's a pretty big suitcase...sure!
          \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

unless there is more than a 4 hour difference in the time zone or you are taking something that is insanely sensitive like dofetilide, you are safe sticking to breakfast/bedtime, etc.

when I went to South Africa, I was on dofetilide and took my meds on US time.

Comment

U.S. Eastern to Hawaii is a 6 hour difference, at least during Daylight Savings Time. Hawaii doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time and the difference changes during the winter months when it gets smaller(??).

Current time: http://www.timetemperature.com/tzus/...ime_zone.shtml

Hawaii "gets up early and goes to bed early" so the difference isn't *that bad*, but then again I go there from the Left Coast.

Managing meds during travel is always an interesting issue. West Coast to Europe was always such *fun* (NOT).

Have fun!

Rob
              --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
              Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Good question. Four times a year I have to figure this out. Two times going to China and two to the US. We are 12 hours different in summer and 13 hours in winter. So I try to use the time on the plane to work my pill schedule over to the other side of the world. Usually what I do is this:
                I take my morning beta blocker and calcium channel blocker in the morning before I leave. When I get in the US it will be that same evening but 18+ hours later. So, halfway through the trip I take evening meds (same BB but lower dose Ca channel blocker). When I get to the US I take evening meds again before I go to bed. I also take several other meds, but those I do not worry as much because their absence does not make my heart go knocking as Pam has so well described. I do the same thing on the way back, but it is a little more difficult because the trip is a little longer and I arrive later at night. But overall it works. I would be interested in whether this plan sounds like a good idea to anyone in medicine, but it seems to work for me.

So, for going to Hawaii I would probably try to work in two consecutive doses of whatever is the lower concentration of meds and the go on the Hawaii schedule. I am also not of a mind to get up in the middle of the night to take meds.

Rhoda

Comment

My other suggestion is to try and work your way closer to the Hawaii time zones for a week before you leave , then about 4 -5 days before returning, start working your way back to eastern time.

OR If your heart does not balk with this week before you leave trial then you are probably fine to just switch up to the time change and leave it at that. First, I would ask your doctor if he thinks the change could trigger your a-fib, if he says yes , then set your alarm in Hawaii or ask him what he feels is safe for you .

Pam
                  Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                  Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                  Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                  SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                  Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Working...
                  X