If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know calcium interacts with a lot of meds?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Sarah Find out more about Sarah
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know calcium interacts with a lot of meds?

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupple.../Calciumcs.htm

Thanks for the info Sarah

I also looked up renal failure because my dad has this and i understand alot about this now also, and to think my doctor wanted me to take caltrate and vitamin D because there is Osteoporosis in my family and i have been post menopausal for about 20 years due to surgery

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Has anyone else had a problem with this site? I keep getting a message that this page has been removed. Normally we just assume that the local authorities have blocked stuff as that is extremely common, but this seems to be a message from the umm website itself. I am particularly interested in this as I have been concerned about taking Ca supplements along with my beta blockers and Ca channel blockers.

Thanks, Rhoda

Comment

Rhoda the link doesn't work for me either.

Concerning calcium supplements, I stopped taking my Centrum multivitamin a while back because it was making me feel kinda sick. On days that I forgot to take it, I felt much better. I don't know if it was the calcium interfering with my beta blocker or if my body just plain doesn't like Centrum too much... it could be any number of things.

From Drugstore.com:

If you take atenolol and are also taking products with aluminum, calcium, or magnesium in them, the atenolol may not work as well for you. Some examples of products with aluminum, calcium, or magnesium in them are Tums(R), Mylanta(R), Maalox(R), Gaviscon(R), and Riopan(R). If you are not sure if you are taking a product with aluminum, calcium, or magnesium in it, call your doctor or pharmacist. Your doctor may want you to take both medicines. Your doctor may change the amount of medicines you take. If you do take both medicines, you should take atenolol at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after taking a product with aluminum, calcium, or magnesium in it. Call your doctor if you are not getting better taking your medicines or you feel worse.

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I can not get the website to work either.
          About a yr ago I began taking Nexium- which has magnesium. That is 'approximately' when my arrhythmias worsened along with some other symptoms. My GP told me it was fine to take Nexium with Atenolol so I never thought about it. I will have to look into this.

Thanks all.

Pam
          It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

web site content

Here is the text of the web page. I was able to get to it by going to http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ and then clicking on Interactions with Herb or Supplement and then choosing Calcium.

Possible Interactions with Calcium:

If you are currently being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use calcium supplements without first talking to your healthcare provider

Alendronate
            Calcium may interfere with the absorption of alendronate, a medication used to treat osteoporosis. Calcium containing products, therefore, should be taken at least two hours before or after alendronate.

Antacids, Aluminum-containing
            When calcium citrate is taken with aluminum containing antacids, the amount of aluminum absorbed into the blood stream may be increased significantly. This is a particular problem for people with kidney disease in whom the aluminum levels may become toxic. In addition, aluminum-containing antacids may increase the loss of calcium in the urine.

Blood Pressure Medications
            Taking calcium with a beta-blocker (such as atenolol), a group of medications used for the treatment of high blood pressure or heart disorders, may interfere with blood levels of both the calcium and the beta-blocker. Study results are conflicting, however. Until more is known, individuals taking atenolol, or another beta blocker, should have their blood pressure checked before and after adding calcium supplements or calcium containing antacids to their medication regimen.

Similarly, it has been reported that calcium may reverse the therapeutic effects as well as the side effects of calcium channel blockers (such as verapamil) often prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure. These study results are also controversial. People taking verapamil or another calcium channel blocker along with calcium supplements should likely have their blood pressure checked regularly.

Cholesterol-lowering Medications
            A class of medications known as bile acid sequestrants (including cholestyramine, colestipol, and colesevelam), used to treat high cholesterol, may interfere with normal calcium absorption and increase the loss of calcium in the urine. Supplementation, therefore, with calcium and vitamin D may be recommended by your healthcare provider.

Corticosteroids
            Corticosteroid medications reduce the absorption of calcium, thereby increasing the risk for bone loss and osteoporosis over time. This is of particular concern for anyone who is maintained on long-term steroids.

Digoxin
            High levels of calcium may increase the likelihood of a toxic reaction to digoxin, a medication used to treat irregular heart rhythms. On the other hand, low levels of calcium cause this medication to be ineffective. People who are taking digoxin should have calcium levels monitored in the blood closely.

Diuretics
            Two different classes of diuretics interact with calcium in opposite ways—thiazide diuretics such as hydrochlorothiazide can raise calcium levels in the blood, while loop diuretics, such as furosemide and bumetanide, can decrease calcium levels. In addition, amiloride, a potassium-sparing diuretic, may decrease the amount of calcium excreted in the urine (and subsequently increase calcium levels in the blood), especially in people with kidney stones.

Estrogens
            Estrogens may contribute to an overall increase in calcium blood levels. Taking calcium supplements together with estrogens improves gain in bone density significantly.

Gentamicin
            Taking calcium during treatment with the antibiotic gentamicin may increase the potential for toxic effects on the kidneys.

Metformin
            Metformin, a medication used to treat type 2 diabetes, can deplete levels of vitamin B12. Some early evidence suggests that calcium supplements may prevent or eliminate this negative effect of metformin. More research is needed.

Antibiotics, Quinolones
            Calcium can interfere with the body's ability to absorb quinolone antibiotics (such as ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, norfloxacin, and ofloxacin). If taking calcium containing supplements or antacids, therefore, you should take them two to four hours before or after taking quinolone antibiotics.

Seizure Medications
            Low levels of calcium have been reported with high doses of seizure medications, such as phenytoin, which may decrease calcium absorption. Some physicians recommend vitamin D along with anti-seizure drugs to try to prevent the development of low calcium levels.

Tetracyclines
            Calcium can interfere with the body's ability to absorb tetracycline medications (including doxycycline, minocycline, and tetracycline) and, therefore, diminish their effectiveness. Calcium containing supplements and antacids should be taken at least two hours before or after taking these drugs.

Comment

Working...
            X