If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

drinking coca-Cola and cafe

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Danielaeh Find out more about Danielaeh
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drinking coca-Cola and cafe

Hi!

Our cardiologist said a big NO to Coca-Cola and coffe for my husband and son who take betta-blockers. (my son takes Concor).
    He explained to us that the caffeine contradicts the effect of the meds.
    So... my son drinks now Sprite in a party or when going out and in the mornings my husband is still but get used to herbal tea and the decaffeinated.
    Wishes for healh, peace and love!

Daniela E-H, Mother to Matan-Ben (13 years old) who had his AICD implantation (29/03/04) and Myectomy (14/12/08) and Noga (4 years old) not affected
    Haifa - Israel.

yeah the docs told me no caffeine as well. Being a college student it took away one of my food groups! But, now if I drink a Mt. Dew I pay severely for it because my HR will syrocket.

So, I'd say stay away from it if you can. They also make caffeine free coke and pepsi here in the states. It tastes exactly like the regular stuff.

mary S.

Comment

Daniela
      The Docs @ Mayo told me definitely NO Caffeine. It took some adjusting.
      So Tell me, is it beautiful in Haifa, now? My Husband & I visited Israel 5 years ago & I'm very anxious to return. We did not visit Haifa, but did tour a good deal of the Country, we based in Tel Aviv & Jerusalem.
      RONNIE

Comment

hi everyone.I also drank tons of coffee before dx,now I drink decaf once in a while.I feel that the decaf is just as good,but if you buy it at 7-11 or deli etc it probably has been sitting half a day.you are better off brewing it at home.have a great day carpe biem
        One day at a time.

Comment

hi

Hi everyone,

I used to drink lots of coffee before i was DX'ed and for a while after. I stopped drinking it about 7 years ago and since then have had about one cup. That one cup had a bad effect on me so i have not tried it since. I can drink Strong black Tea all day long with no effect. Coke or the likes also does not affect me either

Vinnie

Comment

Hey,

I cut out Coffee, Cola, Junk Food and Deep Fried Food when I found out that I had HCM. I started drinking over 8 glasses of water per day and I lost 20 lbs is 4 weeks. All caffeine is definitely a stimulant and does raise your heart rate which works against beta blockers so I figure all caffeine should be avoided? I find that Decaf from Tim Hortons or Starbucks tastes just as good.

T
            26 years old, diagnosed April 2005. ICD July 2005.

Comment

I wish I could lose some weight...

Great for you!!!!
              Drinking water is very important.!!!
              Keep doing it!!!
              Wishes for healh, peace and love!

Daniela E-H, Mother to Matan-Ben (13 years old) who had his AICD implantation (29/03/04) and Myectomy (14/12/08) and Noga (4 years old) not affected
              Haifa - Israel.

Comment

Re: drinking coca-Cola and cafe

Yes, caffeine was also prohibited in my case. But surprisingly enough, if I drink a regular coke during the afternoon it has no effect on me. I think it has also to do with your severity. I can also drink coffee if its a weak brew, nothing strong. And for Mary, colleges now offer so many alternatives to soda, there really is no real barrier.

Comment

Yes coffee is not very good for health in all the cases. You should follow doctors suggestion and try to keep husband and son healthy.
                  Good luck

Comment

Daniela, how good to hear from you again. It has been many years since I last talked to you. How is Matan doing these days?

My son (14 years old) has recently started drinking a lot of caffiene. You know you can't tell the kids anything. I've warned him numerous times he should not drink so much caffiene. I do not buy any soda for our home, but when he is out and about with his friends, well I'm not there to stop him. My daughter, on the other hand, never drinks any caffiene (doesn't like soda or coffee). The only time she gets caffiene is with our most favorite food group, chocolate!
                    Michelle - mom to Krista and Tyler both HCM
                    Krista surgeries: 3/97 myectomy, 2/99 mitral valve replacement
                    Tyler surgery: 1/98 myectomy

Comment

this is so interesting as my daughter who was just recently diagnosed (Kaye) was also told no caffiene and 35 yrs ago when I was Dx'd, I was told anything in moderation including smoking. Haven't times changed. For the better I might add. I am so happy that all of you are on the leading edge of medicine for HCM.
                      Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                      ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                      Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                      Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Hmm. I'm a lifelong coffee addict and have never been told to quit.

When I was hospitalized in Argentina a couple of yrs ago they wouldn't let me have any coffee, and I whined quite a bit. After my myectomy in Cleveland a month later, I assumed I wasn't allowed real coffee, and had headaches while there. A day or two before I was released, one of the doctors expressed surprise, said that if I'd asked for it they'd have given me coffee, and told me there was no reason I couldn't have some coffee.

So we vary. I wonder if caffeine bans have something to do with the extent to which one's heart is arrhythmia-prone.

Gordon
                        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

My docs never told me not to drink caffeine, I just gave it up 20 years ago due to other meds I am on for my myasthenia gravis. I find a good swiss processed, fair trade, shade grown decaf coffee once in a while works just fine along with my water consumption. I guess it just depends on your doc and your system.

Be well to all, Janet
                          Believe in the goodness of mankind.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X