If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Constipation and Verapamil

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constipation and Verapamil

does anyone experience constipation being on Verapamil???
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Constipation and Verapamil

Y.......E......A......H !!!!!!! I nearly ruptured my colon on it. The doctor told me no more Verapamil ever again.

Rhoda

Comment

I read that constipation is a very common side effect for Verapamil.
      49 yrs. old
      Diagnosed at 31.
      Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
      First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
      Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
      Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
      My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
      2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Very common, try colace and drink lots of water!
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Cynthia

That is the biggest reason my doctor took me off of it, it was tearing me up, so if it is bothering you that much talk to your doctor

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I had a colon exam done (barium enema) aaghh,--that was fun! This was done a week ago. My doctor told me that I have "diverticula" (small polyps formed on my colon)...my husband took the message and he said not to worry. He has had me on Colace and Citricel for a couple of weeks and wants me on it long term...now I don't know if the Verapamil caused this or if it just added to it....the last thing I want to do is to have to go off Verapamil...I have felt SOO much better than being on a beta blocker--- what do you guys mean by nearly ruptured and tearing you up?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia

I had had surgery a couple of years back for hemmroids and being constipated is no fun at all after you have had surgery, which buy the way i would have open heart surgery again before i have that surgery again so knowing i had surgery a few years back my doc took me off of it and put me back on diltiazem which is also a calcium channel blocker and i seem to do ok on it, good luck Cynthia

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Cynthia,
                Diverticula are a whole other thing then polyps – almost the direct opposite. Polyps are growths on the colon, which can be excised (cut-off) and checked for malignancy, and frequently they are not so, but once you have them it is good to have periodic exams from then on.

Diverticula on the other hand are small openings (or caves) in the colon walls. As we age almost everybody gets them sooner or later, and they have no great significance – at least until they grow large enough to trap food particles and become infected. This is a change from Diverticulosis to Diverticulitis, and at this point there is a problem. They will bleed, sometimes heavily, give you some interesting abdominal pain, and will require attending to – usually with antibiotics – and a marked change to your diet.

Prevention of building a problem usually involves the course of action your doctor has already recommended – although I used Metamucil instead of Citrucel for the bulk, and I never resorted to Colace, but I expect that is to counteract the unwanted effects of the Verapamil – One of the few problems I seem to have avoided so far.

Having Diverticula probably means that you’re over thirty, but don’t sweat it – plan on getting a whole lot older. Reminds me of the doctor who told a patient that he would be dead in six months – and six months to the day later - - the doctor ran him down in the parking lot. Some doctor’s it just pays to listen to.
                Burt

Comment

Thanks for your input...Even though I'm 50, I thought I was too young to get these! ....If they decide to take me off the Verapamil (which I hope they DON'T! because I'm doing so well on it --- controlling the afib to a minimum)...is there another calcium channel blocker that works the same way but does NOT cause constipation?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hi again Cynthia,
                    Verapamil is good – I like Verapamil – nice drug. OK, that said, maybe I like it so much because it doesn’t affect me that way. Seriously though, if it’s doing the job you want, but giving you a little side effect trouble, I would first try to control the side effect rather then looking for another drug that may not work as well. (Actually I’ve heard that just about all calcium channel blockers carry the same side effect, so if one does it to you, they probably all will. No guarantee – but probably.)

Instead, it sounds like your doctor is attacking the side effect with the Citrucel – if you don’t like that you could try Metamucil – same deal – adds bulk. His second front is the Colace which is a stool softener. If you feel you want to try a third front, you might try dried fruit or prunes, or prune juice. The medication my wife is on is also very constipating, and she first drinks prune juice. Her second assault is usually prunes, but lately she is going to dried fruit more and more – they both work about the same. At times of drastic need, Fleet makes a product that is brought into play – but only very rarely.

Good luck with this, I hope the steps taken will resolve the problem. Some people joke about it, but it is a serious problem, and can be quite painful. Now, I’ve been a good boy. I never said pain in the a**, or make any other snide remarks. Do I get a lollypop now?
                    Burt

Comment

Cynthia,

To answer a couple of questions, what I meant by colon nearly rupturing is just that. My sister had that happen to her, but not as a result of Verapamil, but as at least partially the result of a diet drug she was trying. The results so far for her have been three major abdominal surgeries with massive open, infected wounds which lasted as open wounds for 6 months or more each time, onset of diabetes, and continuing abdominal problems.

When I started taking Verapamil two summers ago, I also felt amazingly better. So, when the cardiologist said to increase it, I did not tell him that I was having some problems with constipation. Well, the increased dose gave me a nasty case of diverticulitis. So, I went to my GP, because my gastroenterologist, who had treated me for a number of ulcers as well as diverticulitis in the past, had moved. I did not see my GP because he was busy, so I saw a nurse practitioner. I have nothing against FNP's. in fact, some of my best friends are nurse practitioners and I have great respect for them. But this one prescribed a very strong laxative and told me that I might have to take it the rest of my life because of the Verapamil. I left the next day for a vacation in Florida. I figured that the combination of antibiotics and the stool softener would do the trick. Well, suffice it to say, the trip was pretty difficult. So, when I got back, I saw a new GE man. He nearly had a fit. He said that laxatives should never be used for patients with diverticulitis or a history of it. Natural stool softeners are good, but no laxatives. So, I am concerned about your colace.

The next week I saw the cardiologist again, told him what had happened and he asked why I had not called him immediately. He said no more Verapamil ever. He added what I took as a small insult by saying that he was surprised, that Verapamil rarely had such a severe constipating effect in people under 80! (I was 55 at the time.) I was very disappointed not to take Verapamil, but we went to a combination of diltiazem and Toprol XL and once I got the dose up, I think these work together about as well as Verapamil. I take 100 mg Toprol twice a day and 240 mg diltiazem AM and 120 mg diltiazem PM.

One thing I should mention is that most people who have a bout of diverticulitis never have another one. For those people, no big problem. But some people (my sister and myself included) have repeated ones. I get one nearly every time after I get a digestive tract bug (not an uncommon experience in China, I might add). It is quite important to avoid these repeated infections. The colon weakens a little in that area every time, as I understand it. The possibility of a ruptured colon spilling its nasty contents into the abdominal cavity is a really bad idea. This necessitates the removal of the diseased portion of the colon and the open draining (and often severely infected) wound my sister had. I want to avoid that at all costs. So, although they may not be ready to take you off Verapamil yet, you do need to realize that there are some things even worse than having HCM symptoms. Finding a new combination could become essential.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Concentrate on the fact that most people do NOT have repeated infections and can continue to do whatever they did before with some precautions.

Rhoda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                      X