If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunis/Flu Meds....HELP!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HRB Find out more about HRB
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunis/Flu Meds....HELP!

Hi, All.
    My husband has recently come down with a really nasty sinus bug (fever, cough, headaches, stuffed up head, etc.) If he's still sick by Monday, our cardiologist said he'd put him on some antibiotics, but I'd like to find something to help treat the symptoms before then. At this point, he's a BEAR to live with and I'm hoping someone may have ANY recommendations for (HCM safe) OTC meds or home remedies that may help? We were told at the RX to use Robitussen DM - anyone used it before? And we have the Vapo-rubs and a steamer cup thing, but he can't smell at all - so these aren't as successful as they have been in the past. HELP!

Thanks in advance!
    Jessica

P.S. Is there a list somewhere of the meds/vitamins/minerals that HCMers should and should not take? I'm a bit new at this and it's pretty darn frustrating when trying to figure out what shouldn't be in my house - ya know? Call me a stickler, but I'd be a whole lot more comfortable with a list in hand when shopping for the daily blah. Again - thanks!
    Let me go in the act of coming to Venus; in more senses then one let my last dying be done...

I pity those who have neither the intellect to be a good liar, nor the integrity not to be one. -- HRBwww.hel-razor.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html

Re: Sunis/Flu Meds....HELP!

Your husband can take the Robitussin, that's fine. He can also take Benadryl as it has both an antihistamine and drying effect. He shouldn't take any decongestants though. I hope he feels much better soon.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I have just the right med for him! I had a sinus, cough, etc. thing going on a month ago...my doctor recommended "Coricidin HBP" cough & cold...it is for people with high blood pressure (most HCMers take beta blockers and calcium channel blockers which lower blood pressure, so this medicine is great because it doesn't lower your BP--.it comes in different varieties as does tylenol (i.e. relieves cough, runny nose, sneezing, fever, etc.). You can buy it at any drugstore OTC. It worked great! Also, it helped me sleep as it contains and antihistamine that makes you a little drousy...
      \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Thank you both so much! The Robo has helped a lot and we got him some of the HPB today which he seems to like the taste of better. Right now, he's only on Norpace, so this should work just fine. For some reason, I thought the doc had told us he shouldn't use Benadryl, but we're going to recheck that on Monday. Thanks again for taking the time to reply
        Let me go in the act of coming to Venus; in more senses then one let my last dying be done...

I pity those who have neither the intellect to be a good liar, nor the integrity not to be one. -- HRBwww.hel-razor.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html

Comment

Off topic post, but where in So. Cal are you located? I am in West L.A., and am always interested in comparing notes with a neighbor.
          Daughter of Father with HCM
          Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
          Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
          ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
          Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

you can search the board for colds, antihistamines, and decongestants for tons of into (link is up top).

benadryl regular is absolutely fine. it is an antihistamine. it is the decongestants that are bad. many products are mixes (eg Claritin-D) of both, so read carefully.

as for antibiotics, please be aware that they will do _nothing_ to stop a cold. only if the cold turns into full blown bronchitis or pnuemonia will antibiotics help. antibiotics should be avoided unless a throat culture confirms an infection since antibiotic-resistant strains of staph are on the rise and killing otherwise healthy athletes (see December's Men's Health for one example).

also search the board for neti pot posts as this is what i do and it makes a world of difference. also invest in a good humidifier as dry air makes it easier to get sick. lots of liquids, hot teas, NOT juice as it is too thick and increases phlegm. also avoid dairy when you have a cold--increases phlegm, too.

take care,

S

Comment

Originally posted by Cynaburst
              Off topic post, but where in So. Cal are you located? I am in West L.A., and am always interested in comparing notes with a neighbor.
              Hi We're actually just outside a little berg called Lake Hughes. If you know where Castaic Lake is, we're about 22 miles NE of there up in the Angeles Forest. So, howdy neighbor!

Comment

Thanks for all the info, Sarah! I'm off to search...

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X