If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know this is going to sound crazy but...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Eileen2345 Find out more about Eileen2345
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know this is going to sound crazy but...

(Sorry this is so long)

Hi everyone, I know this is gonna sound crazy but here it goes..........

I took one Cartia pill the extended release type. I took it last Sunday. Okay, I was fine for about an hour and then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was soooooo tired and confused, I could not concentrate, I had brain fog and extreme fatigue, BUT here is the one thing that I did not like the most -- Depression.

I know it is going to sound crazy, and I may sound like a nut, but honestly, I was depressed. I know that I have a chronic illness, so I am always somewhat bummed out, but I know I felt different. I was not myself mentally, I was depressed. I wanted to be by myself, I did not want to be with my children or my husband, I did not smile or laugh for over 10 hours and I did not want to watch anything funny on TV. And that is not like me at all. I laugh all the time, I always watch funny shows and movies on TV, but not when I took that pill. I felt isolation.

It wasn't until the next day that I started to feel like myself mentally again. I know is sounds irrational. But honestly I felt that way.

I did a Google search on Cartia and found that it interacts with Xanax and asprin. I am dependent on Xanax to sleep and I take asprin for headaches and for small blood clots in my left leg. In fact the next morning after taking the pill I had a terrible headache and I took 3 asprin, and I thought I was gonna die! I felt so sick.

That medication helped my heart though, I did not have any angina that day, but then again I was too tired to do much activity. It seemed to make my heart feel better, but the rest of me feel awful.

I swear I felt different mentally on Cartia, did anyone ever experience anything similar while on a drug? And does that side effect wear off? Do any of the side effects wear off after a while? My concern with Cartia is that it interacts with medication that I aleady take.

I am going to do a search on Verapamil and see if it interacts with Xanax and asprin. And look up other Calcium Channel Blockers.

Thank you for any replies and information.

-- Eileen
    49 yrs. old
    Diagnosed at 31.
    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Re: I know this is going to sound crazy but...

I have not heard of anything like that responce - it sounds very severe - Please call your doctor!

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Cartia is a calcium-channel blocker, as is verapamil. You may want to look towards a beta-blocker instead since they don't interact with aspirin or xanax (i take xanax and beta-blockers no problem) and do the same thing calcium channel blockers do, just in a different way.

Please talk to your doctor asap.

take care,

S

Comment

The only comparison I can refer to on this, is that when I was on Cartia 180mgs daily, my Atenolol was raised to 400 mgs daily. I continued to feel increasingly depressed with a strange sense of impending doom and gloom and my head felt thick , I walked around in a funk. There was no reasonable explanation other then the high dose.

When I talked it over w/ my cardiologist we decided to back the Atenolol down to 300mgs and stay at the 180 of Cartia. This resolved the feelings and I was back to my positive " glass is half full personallity".

It may just be an initial titration /adjustment thing and after talking w/ your doc, it may be worth trialing a while longer on this med. Some of these "adverse reactions," seem to dissipate after about 4-6 weeks. .... Or it may require a change. If you are depressed to the point of self destructive thoughts, this drug is not for you and seek help immediately.

Good luck and keep us informed. Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Oh great, now I really feel like a nut... no one has ever experienced that particular side effect.

I am not taking it anymore. I will call my doctor and ask him to call in a new prescription for something else. The day after I took Cartia, I did a Google search and found a few Pharmacy websites that state possible side effects as mental depression, confusion, etc.....

I thought that maybe someone else may have had a similar reaction to a heart medication.

Oh well, I will try another medication. Thank you for your replies and for the information. I appreciate it.

Eileen
          49 yrs. old
          Diagnosed at 31.
          First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
          Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
          Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.

Comment

No , No, Eileen, You are wrong. Maybe I did not come right out with it but , I certainly did feel like a nut, actually a very big nut, so you are not alone. I am sure we are not alone either
            Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thank you so much Pam. You made me feel better about that. I know what you meant when you said that you walked around in a funk. That is what I did.

Thank you again

Eileen
              49 yrs. old
              Diagnosed at 31.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X