If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diuretics

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

angall Find out more about angall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diuretics

I have been slowly going into heart failure. I hate being admitted to the hospital, so I have not mentioned it to my cardiologist. The end of last week I was feeling kind of sluggish, shortness of breath (moreso than normal, normally when walking), tightness in my legs and abdomin is bloated, so I called my cardiologist. She increase my Lasix from 40 mg in the morning and 40 in the afternoon to 80 in the morning and 40 mg in the afternoon. She told me to call her the beginning of this week. Saturday I worked 11 1/2 hrs and canned tomatoes and pickles Sunday. Monday I worse. I called my cardiologist and she increased my Lasix to 120 mg in the morning and 80 in the evening. I also take Zaroxolyn (2.5 mg) and Aldactone (25 mg.). To make a long story short, my cardiologist made arrangements for me to see my family doctor. After some blood testing, he told me to keep on the same dosage of Lasix and increase my Zaroxolyn to 5 mg daily.
    My questions are....How many people are on large dosages of diuretics? Shouldn't I stay on the increase of Lasix for a few days and see what happens? Can this large dosage do damage to my kidneys? I did try and contact my cardiologist, but her office was closed. I did send her an email and asked her to call me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Esther

Re: Diuretics

angall

I sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well, I too take a large dose of Lasix and aldactone , I take 80mg in the morning and 80mg in the afternoon and i take and take 50mg x 2 a day of the aldactone and have done this for a few months so far so good. i also worry about my kidney's but i also worry about all that fluid around my heart and what damage it can do to it, i hope i have helped a little, watch your fluid intake and your sodium also now that you have heart failure it is a balancing act now.

Hope you feel better
    Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Please go to the doctor and let them look at you. TOO much diutetic is not good - but not enough could be big trouble also - DO NOT try to figure all this out for yourself - Thats what the Dr is for.

Take care!
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

angall

When was the last time you were in to see your cardiologist, i would not take that much without your cardio doc seeing you, i had all kinds of test ran that told my doctor i was in heart failure, even a BNP test to make sure it was my heart or something else causing this,

I told my doctor i wanted to make sure i was in heart failure before i took diuretics

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

The last time I was to see my cardiologist was May 2004. I have a six month check-up unless I feel there is a need to see her sooner. I have been in contact with her via phone since last week. She contacted my family physician, he did testing and spoke with her after I was examined by him. I didn't know that they were corresponding via phone after I saw my family physicial. That's why I was so concerned. They both concur that yes, I am in heart failure and because I HATE to be hospitalized they would try increasing medications first. I have seen my family doctor today and have an appointment with him again tomorrow. He is in close contact with my cardiologist each day. I have lost 3 lbs overnight and I feel a little better. Hopefully by Monday I will be back to myself again.
          Thank you Shirley and Lisa for your help and concern.
          Esther

Comment

angall

Good i hope you get to feeling better as long as you are under a doctors care that makes me feel better and watch your fluid intake

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
            X