If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Study on AF

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Largehearted I miss living in Europe, specifically Munich, GermanyI like to think out loud. Some of my ruminations can be found at beinganddoing.wordpress.com. I love to cook and eat, but hate to clean up. I tend to be confident in my opinions, but will change when presented with a compelling enough reason/argument. Find out more about Largehearted
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Study on AF

Good morning friends.
    Having been hospitalized several times with AF, I stay on the lookout for treatments that are coming down the pike. This one caught my eye as the last time I was in they suggested switching me to amiodarone. I pulled this of the medscape website I posted about a month or so ago.

Peace,

Leon

Positive Results Seen With Investigational Antiarrhythmic for Atrial Fibrillation

MUNICH (Reuters) Aug 30 - A new antiarrhythmic, dronedarone (Sanofi-Aventis), significantly reduces the risk of atrial fibrillation, according to the results of two clinical studies released on Sunday.

The trials showed that patients given dronedarone went, on average, 2.3 and 2.7 times longer than those on placebo before experiencing atrial fib. The risk of a first occurrence was also reduced significantly, by 21.6% and 27.5%, over a one-year period.

There was, however, no significant reduction on mortality in the phase III studies, which involved a total of 1,507 patients.

"The results of the ADONIS and EURIDIS trials appear to position dronedarone as a promising option for ... rate control in atrial fibrillation," Stefan Hohnloser of JW Goethe University in Frankfurt told the annual meeting of the European Society of Cardiology.

Dronedarone is a modification of amiodarone, which has been linked to organ toxicity. Because of its problems, many physicians have been reluctant to use amiodarone except as a second-line therapy.

Hohnloser, an investigator on the EURIDIS trial, said dronedarone showed no such problems.

Dronedarone suffered a setback in another trial last year when it failed to demonstrate benefit in patients with congestive heart failure.
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Re: Interesting Study on AF

Leon-
    Your post was very "timely", for me. I've been in&out of AFib several times (1st time, after Myectomy, I was cardioverted), but it was brief. I went into AFib, during the night, lasdt night & wonder of wonders, had an appointment with my Cardio, this pm! He said he could hear it, when he took my blood pressure, but took an EKG, for documentation. He doubled my Toporal from 200mg to 400mg, put me on Coumadin & told me to come back tomorrow. If I'm still in AFib, he'll put me on Amiodorone. I'm feeling much better now, since the additional dose of Toporal, but it's still there. I felt so lousy this am, I take a class on Weds am & I could not wait for it to end! Sweat was actually dripping off me, my blouse was WET! Let's hope I convert on my own, B4 my appointment. I took Amiodorone, previously & I didn't feel so great. I've printed your post to take to my Cardio.
    RONNIE

Comment

Re: Interesting Study on AF

Ronnie.
      Hopefully all will end well with you. I am on Sotolol which controls my bouts of A-fib fairly well. The last time I went into A-fib I converted within 5 hours. It might have been the IV stuff they gave me, but the time before that (prior to me being on Sotolol) it took 36 hours for me to self convert.

Let us know how it goes.

Peace,

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X