If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advair Diskus 250/50

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advair Diskus 250/50

Well now that I caught up on all the posts, I have some questions. #1 Has any one taken Advair before ? #2 Has anyone had any problems with it? # 3 Is it contraindicated with HCM? #4 Has it helped?

I was given the first dose today at the pulmonologists office. He is aware of my problems and has seen me in the past. I was a little frightened when he sat back in his chair and put his finger over his lip,crossed his arms and said, "Hmmm let's see a septal myectomy?" I had to define it for him. Then he said, " Oh yes." Oh no just saying it I am scared . I probably should have vacated the premises at that moment Why do these things keep happening to me? Well soon after they gave me the Advair , I got chest pain and no I did not speak up. It went away fairly quickly, 2 minutes later and then everything seemed about usual for me.

Of course I have since read and found the cardiovascular effects and there are a few more then I like to see. As the next dose is due tonight , Please offer any input/ experience you may have with this med. I am supposed to use it for 2 weeks and am having repeat pulmonary funtiontests next week.
    Thank you.
    Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Re: Advair Diskus 250/50

Pam

I took 500 mg twice a day until they found out ididn't have asthma, they gave it to me in the hospital after surgery because they did not know what was wrong with me i just wasn't breathing well and i continued it until about a month ago, when my doc said discontinue it

As far as inneracting with your heart med it didn't with mine but, i was on a ccb and not a beta blocker i think there is something about taking it with taking beta blockers though i not sure though

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I tried it and felt it made my back muscles hurt. Then, again, I tried it before I went out to work in the yard, which is something I don't often do.

Was on it for a week or so and didn't see anything adverse in terms of heart function.

I've gone back to albuterol when needed and Flovent (steriod) inhaler every morning and evening.

I don't take beta blockers either.

Is this enough paragraphs?

Sue

Comment

From the GlaxoSmithKline website, here is a quote from the prescribing document for doctors and pharmacists.

11. Cardiovascular Disorders: ADVAIR DISKUS, like all products containing sympathomimeticamines, should be used with caution in patients with cardiovascular disorders, especially coronary insufficiency, cardiac arrhythmias, and hypertension. Salmeterol, a component of ADVAIR DISKUS, can produce a clinically significant cardiovascular effect in some patients as measured by pulse rate, blood pressure, and/or symptoms. Although such effects are uncommon after administration of salmeterol at recommended doses, if they occur, the drug may need to be discontinued. In addition, beta-agonists have been reported to produce ECG changes, such as flattening of the T wave, prolongation of the QTc interval, and ST segment depression. The clinical significance of these findings is unknown.
        It also mentioned that if you have a heart condition and take it that you should keep an eye on your potassium.

My advice though...talk to your pharmacist. They'll have the most reliable and up to date information.

Steve

Comment

I found this also.

Beta-Adrenergic Receptor Blocking Agents: Beta-blockers not only block the pulmonary effect of beta-agonists, such as salmeterol, a component of ADVAIR DISKUS, but may produce severe bronchospasm in patients with asthma. Therefore, patients with asthma should not normally be treated with beta-blockers. However, under certain circumstances, there may be no acceptable alternatives to the use of beta-adrenergic blocking agents in patients with 30 asthma. In this setting, cardioselective beta-blockers could be considered, although they should be administered with caution.
          Sounds like you should talk to your pharmacist ASAP. The interaction may be minor, but better safe than sorry.

Steve

Comment

Pam,
            I have taken Advair 250/50 twice daily for about four years.

Yes, it helps my asthma. The downside is that beta blockers can cancel out its effects. This is why docs try to give beta blockers that are cardioselective - that is that have few effects in the lungs and bronchial tubes. The other side to the coin is that salmeterol (the "50" part of the 250/50) is a long acting bronchodilator, so it has stimulant effects similar to fast acting bronchodilators like albuterol. Therefore, it can cause heart problems such as chest pain, palpitations, arrhythmias, and syncope.

I have not noticed any problems with Advair, but when I used albuterol last winter, I had fairly severe chest pain that lasted about 30 minutes. So, do I think that Advair could cause your pain? Absolutely. Call your doctor before you take more.

Rhoda

Comment

Thanks all for the good advise.
              I am calling my pharmacist presently and will call my doctor also. Interesting I have never had asthma just treated for it and it was always found to be probably asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, or CHF. Except this last spring it was "bronchitis", the effects have persisted intermittently in severity, like a chronic bronchitis.

Interesting is that long before my HCM diagnosis I was always having problems with excessive phlegm and mucus. I always aggravate my family trying to clear my trachea. They have always had to bang on my back to help me. It is so annoying.

I think he is looking at COPD and said he needs to do the PFT's to rule out some problems, of course I have severe sleep apnea as well and use Bi-pap machine.

I do have a specaled smoking history but none for 10 years and I had heavy exposure ;10 years to fomaldehyde and bleach . Both were heavily used in the disenfecting process treating dialysis patients and the artificial kidneys. I used to wonder if that would come back to bite me someday. We will see.
              Take care and thanks.
              Pam
              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Pam

I feel for you that is what i was told too for years and i just had a feeling they were wrong when all the meds made me sick that they gave me for asthma and finally this doctor puts me in the hospital, because all the problems i was having pointed to the fact i did not have asthma, the meds would make me very sick and give me bad headaches

But it turned out that it was my heart, i mean my PCP said ......Look man i did a bnp and that showed him it wasn't my lungs causing my problems it was definetly my heart

Shirley
                Diagnosed 2003
                Myectomy 2-23-2004
                Husband: Ken
                Son: John diagnosed 2004
                Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Shirley ,
                  Thanks for your response. I'm going to hope that i am only mildly obstructed as he thought several years ago. I am not going to use the Advair until I talk w/ Dr. Maron . The pharmacist said after hearing my meds that my cardiologist needed to give me the go ahead . Bloop.... I should have thought of being more reactive when he didn't know what a septal myectomy was
                  Pam

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X