If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calcium channel blockers & beta blockers--difference

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcium channel blockers & beta blockers--difference

I know that there are calcium channel blockers and beta blockers..what is the difference between the two ? does one help with pac's better?
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Calcium channel blockers & beta blockers--difference

at the most basic level, one blocks calcium receptors and the other beta-andrengic receptors in the heart. this just means that they each slow the heart rate and reduce blood pressure via different channels, like am or fm radio.

other drugs like norpace and cordarone are potassium channel blockers.

since HCM varies so widely, there is no way to tell which will work best for any given person ---yet. maybe someday we can figure it out before we hand you the pills.

you can read up on the drugs on line and on heart function if you want all the detailed chemical explanations of how they work.

take care,

s

Comment

OK, I've been on Verapamil for 6 months. I do very well for the most part --- no SOB and less fatigued when I was on a beta blocker. I still get bouts of AFIB. I take my Verapamil around 9:00-9:30 every morning. There have been some mornings where I forget to take it and remember around 10:30-11:00. My point is, I do not notice any irregular beats or feeling my heart beating a little harder when I HAVEN'T taken it. What I'm trying to say here is, I feel better when I don't take it. How does a doctor know that it might not be for me??? I'm totally confused and wonder if I should go back on a beta blocker
      \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia, an hour or so late is not really that big a deal when you are taking a med that is supposed to give 24 hour coverage. The times are only ranges, each body is different in how fast it eliminates the med from your system. You need to talk to your doctor and let him know how you feel on each med, what your tolerances are with each, he needs to evaluate you physically, and together, decide which is best. If you don't feel right with a med, call the doc back, don't wait till the next appt. Of course, some meds take a while to kick in properly, your doctor should be telling you how long you should expect that to take. Ask if you aren't given that info. Hope this helps, Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X