If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conflicts with HCM meds

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Laoshur Find out more about Laoshur
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflicts with HCM meds

Hi, all,
    Again I am going to my fount of information - you'all - to make sure that some of my new meds are OK.

First a quick update: Dr. Gilligan reiterated that another six months in China was OK. So, come Aug 28, we're off. He also put me on another 100mg of Toprol XL in addition to the 100 I was already on as well as the 360 mg of Cartia xt. He wants to slow my heart from the 85-95 bpm that it currently is to the 60-70 range, but has set the ICD to kick on at 60, so it won't drop lower. So, I guess I'll slow down a bit more. But I have also had a couple of med changes by other docs, so thought I'd check with all of you. My allergist put me on Atrovent instead of albuterol because it is anticholinergic and she felt that it would be less likely to cause me to have the chest pains I had with albuterol. Is it safer for me?

My GP put me on Aciphex because they found that I have a pretty good piece of stomach in my chest as a result of a hiatal hernia with resultant reflux and narrowing of my esophagus. It is a proton pump inhibitor. Any info there?

Finally, I had an epidural steroid shot today with the intention of having another before we leave to try to relieve the symptoms of my severely degenerated spine and improve my walking before I go back to China. I really think this is fine, but thought I'd check with you, my personal researchers.

Thanks, all!
    Rhoda

Re: Conflicts with HCM meds

The only one of your med changes that I'm familiar with is the aciphex. My husband has been taking it for a month or so and it works for him with no side effects. Good luck on the rest of it and have a safe trip!

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Re: Conflicts with HCM meds

I've been taking Aciphex for about 5 years, with no side affects (they gave it to me @ Mayo & my local Hospital (after my Bypass). I also take 200mg Toprol daily, for about a year, withwout problems. It initially made me very dragged out, but I can go most days without a nap (and I'm only 3 1/2 months out from my Bypass). My heart rate runs between 58 & 64, with "normal activity & never gets out of control anymore (amazing what a Myectomy, a Double Bypass & lots of Meds will do!)
      Obviously, everyone responds differently, but I hope you can tolerate these meds & respond as well as I do!
      Be Well
      RONNIE

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X