If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here buy Drugs?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Burton Borrok Find out more about Burton Borrok
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here buy Drugs?

Hi all,
    I am still a registered Republican, but I think you know my feelings about Mr. Bush and the Republican Majority’s law outlawing the purchase of drugs from Canada, and also blocking the Federal Government agencies from negotiating lower prices with the drug industry. A position I believe was bought and paid for by the drug industry in the form of giant contributions to the election war chests of the Republican Party. - - - It seems we now have the best government money can buy.

I came across this article in the June edition of the Southern Nevada Mensa Newsletter, which I think you will find interesting.
    Burt

SNvM Member Finds Cheap Meds!
    By Rick Tope SNvM member.

Everyone is complaining about the high cost of prescription medicine, and they have a right to complain. We pay more for prescription drugs in this country than any other country in the world. This is especially outrageous when you stop to consider we are the ones who are putting forth the effort to develop these drugs. Seems like we should be getting a discount.

How bad is the situation? Last month I made a trip to Brazil to stock up on meds. I spent $862. Those same medicines cost $3,337. in the US. The total cost of the trip (except for the medicine) was $1,189. Now, hopefully, I won’t need to set foot in the drugstore for another year. The markup on some of these medicines is staggering. A year’s supply of thyroid medicine which costs $1,200 here can be bought for $86 in Brazil. A bottle of antiseptic eye drops which is $60.53 here is only $6.35 there. A two month supply of Celebrex costs me $165.16 here and only $45 in Brazil. And what is truly amazing is the fact that the drug companies are still making a profit on these medicines when they sell them in Brazil. Think of the astounding profits they make when they sell the drugs in the US!

Time and again I’ve heard the drug companies say that without these huge profits they wouldn’t have the money to research new drugs. To this I say “Bullpucky!” It costs approximately $800 million to bring a drug to market. Admittedly this is no small amount of cash. But it is a drop in the bucket compared to the $12.5 Billion they spent on advertising in 2001. Of this total, $7.2 Billion was spent sending their drug reps into doctors’ offices to pitch their drugs and give free samples.

Last May, I had some blood tests done and was told I could stop by the doctor’s office and pick up the results the following Monday. When I went to get them I was told I would have to sign in as a patient and meet with the doctor, to have him read me the results. Now I’m a college graduate, and quite capable of reading the results myself, but the doctor wanted to collect another fee for an office visit. I sat and waited nearly four hours before I got to see the doctor. While I was waiting I saw four drug company reps go in and out of his office. Non of them had to wait to see the doctor.

I might mention my ex-wife was an office manager for a doctor. In addition to the free drugs these reps give the doctors, the drug rep will also buy lunch for the doctor and his staff two to three times per week. What does this have to do with the price of drugs? Plenty. As I mentioned before, the drug companies spend $7.2 Billion per year sending these drug reps to schmooze the doctors. And who pays for this? We do, in the form of higher drug prices.

My next peeve is the TV ads which talk about a drug, but don’t tell you what the drug is used for. At the end of the ad it says, “Ask your doctor if this drug is right for you.” Like I’m going to spend four hours of my time and the cost of an office visit just to ask him to write a prescription for a drug when I don’t even know what it’s used for? They’ve got to be kidding. While we’re at it I’d like to know why drug companies should be buying advertising at all for prescription drugs. Isn’t the doctor the one to decide what prescription to write? So why spend Billions of dollars advertising these drugs to the public when we have no choice in the prescription medicines we buy?

((You would be amazed at how many people now demand advertised drug prescriptions from their doctors, even when it may not be the drug of choice for them, or when a generic is available at a lower price. Most doctors go along with it without a word. Kind of a, “you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours” philosophy. – Burt))

Some people may be wondering about the safety of buying medicines in another country, such as Brazil. I actually feel safer buying medicine there than here. In the US the pills are counted out into a bottle and you don’t know what type of package they originally came from. In Brazil all medicines are sold in factory sealed cartons, many have holograms with the manufacturer’s logo, which would be near impossible to forge. Inside the carton the pills are in a blister pack, again stamped with the logo which would be extremely difficult to fake. It would be easier the counterfeit money then to fake all the safeguards on a box of medicine in that country.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X