If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

meds helped control AFIB

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meds helped control AFIB

has anyone had any luck with a certain med in controlling afib??
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: meds helped control AFIB

Hi Cynthia , Sorry this problem is happening. I was on amiodorone from last Nov to Jan. for a-fib. Thankfully it did not come back and was probably related to my myectomy last Oct. . It does the trick but I hated it and had a lot of hard to tolerate side effects. Is this what they in Boston are considering? Let us know . Is your rate high? My best to you . Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

thanks, Pam...Dr.M hasn't called me back. It's 8:50 and I dont think he will now. My INR was low a week ago and just went tonight to the lab to have blood drawn for the INR (they had increased my coumadin this past week). I am nervous because now that I am in AFIB, I want my level to be where it's supposed to be..I am so SOB and feel like crap...it's going to be a long night P.S. Dr. M mentioned a while ago that eventually, I would probably start on Sotolol?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Dear Cynthia,

Every one is different (as you may have heard -- ) and what works for one may not work for another in terms of medications.

Sotalol, however, is a very good place to start and it has a good conversion rate (a lot of people go back to normal on it) so you should be very confident that it will do the trick for you.

Be sure to get a list of foods that have high vitamin k and try and eat the same amount of vitamin k each week, otherwise, you can throw the coumadin off. i found that the list from the doctor left out strawberries and oatmeal and such (things that i eat a lot of, so it adds up). google "vitamin k content food" and you should get some good lists.

don't worry too much about your INR while you are in afib competely --the risk of stroke is when you convert to sinus, however, i know it is a huge pain in the rear to not get it in-line.

good luck and keep us posted.

s

Comment

thanks Sarah for the information. How is your afib doing? I know I am still in afib. It has calmed down but am still SOB and can feel it. I'm putting another call into my doctor. I don't know what he is going to want to do....I am dying for a cup of coffee right now, but I can't eat or drink anything in case he wants to cardiovert me. PS.thanks for the info re: vitamin K. didnt realize strawberries had a high content....I've been eating strawberry shortcake for almost 2 weeks now! no wonder my INR was low

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

C

If you INR was low, you can't be cardioverted safely.

You must have an INR between 2 and 3 for THREE weeks straight to be cardioverted. So each time it is low, you start over with your three weeks.

This is how my local hospital and the Mayo both worked it with me and I would be very, very leery of anyone who wants to cardiovert you with only one week of a target INR.

My stroke happened when I was cardioverted when it was supposedly "medically impossible" to have a stroke. Ha ha.

I'm doing ok. have to go to work though, so more later.

s

Comment

I'm going to be admitted into Tufts later on today (99% sure). I'm waiting for admitting to call me when they have a bed available. I'm going to be started on Sotolol

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Good luck Cynthia , it is better that you have this medication to try and get you out of the A-fib. I hope it all goes well for you. Will be watching to see your progress. Will your husband be able to post ? Or if you want give us the Number when you get settled in . Take it easy for now. Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

C

They can keep your INR on target in the hospital with short-acting blood thinners if they have to.

Good luck on the sotalol!!!!

take care,

S

Comment

Cynthia,

Hope the Sotalol does the trick for you. I have been on it twice. First time in place of Procainamide. Worked fine, just got tired of side effects. I am now on it again, after having pulmonary vein isolation in April to help the heart settle down after surgery. I, again, am experiencing the side effects, but will tolerate them until my check-up in July. Just consider your hospital stay as a three-day hiatis. Keep us informed as to how you are doing. Hope your a-fibs will be a "thing of the past."
                    Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X