If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verapamil dosage/when taken

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verapamil dosage/when taken

Just curious,

For those of you who are on Verapamil...are you taking the sustained release form (is this the same as "extended" release??) or a regular tablet. I read on a reliable website that it comes in these 2 forms.
    I take 360 mg. (2 180 mg. of the SR (sustained release both at once.). It said that the extended release tablet can be taken once or twice a day. I'm going to mention to my doctor if I can try taking one in the a.m. and one in the p.m....maybe that will help with the AFIB that I seem to get while I'm sleeping
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Verapamil dosage/when taken

When I was on high amounts of The Verapamil SR. I took one in the morning and one in the evening. Now I only take it once daily because of the accupril. However, I have a script of 40 mg immediate release verapamil when I have an episode to try and relax my heart.That takes about an hour and peaks in 9. The Sr has a duration of 24 hours

hope this helps

Mary!

Comment

let me just add one more thing...

Has anyone felt any difference taking it ONCE a day as opposed to TWICE a day?
      \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I used to take verapamil 3 times a day, so didn't really notice any change throughout the day. Took 240 in the morning, 120 after lunch and another 240 after dinner. Total of 600/day. It was not the extended release just regular verapamil. Taking it made my feet and ankles swell sometimes and I felt mentally "foggy" alot. Didn't notice much difference through the day with arrythmias/PVC's, had them on and off all the time anyway, even before verapamil. Good luck, Steve.

Comment

Working...
        X