If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Taking Cardizem (Diltiazem) and Atenolol?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Taking Cardizem (Diltiazem) and Atenolol?

Hi All,

I was supposed to start taking 180mg of Cardizem along with 100mg of Atenolol on tuesday, but i've been intentionally putting it off for various reasons which i won't go into.

I've read everything i could get my hands on regarding calcium channel blockers, and the potential effects from combining these with beta blockers, but it always helps to get advice from people with hands-on experience. My blood pressure and heartrate are already pretty low on the atenolol alone, so i'm a bit concerned about adding the Cardizem.

If i'm going to have a problem with this, is it going to happen pretty quickly and noticeably, or is it going to build up gradually? The latter would be preferable, as it would give me some time to react.

My doctor didn't have much to say except to watch out for swelling in the ankles, and i'd appreciate hearing any advice from anyone who has taken this combination of meds.

Thank you very much

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: Anybody Taking Cardizem (Diltiazem) and Atenolol?

I take a calcium channel blocker as my main heart med. We tried adding a beta-blocker and it didn't hit me until about three days later. I got a big drop in blood pressure. I had to go to the ER to get it corrected. Not tryin to scare you or anything but I have really low blood pressure to begin with. 90/60 to be exact.

hope this helps

Mary S.

Comment

I take both< I was a bit concerned up front...but it has been nearly 2 years and it has helped the pounding heart beats and cut down on me feeling the PVC's a great deal.

Good luck,
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

For a while I was taking Toprol and Verapamil together. The Dr. just said to keep an eye on pressure for a while. My pressure was high to begin with so I had alot of room for error. Everything was fine. Since then I am on Toprol alone now, just a bigger dose. The Dr. cautioned about the low heart rate. It sits around 50 bpm or low 50s usually. Just need to be aware of what's going on in the beginning and report to the Dr. if things get a little out of whack. May take a little teaking. Good luck, Steve.

Comment

Thanks Everybody... and also those that PM'ed

I appreciate all the info.

I've put off starting the Cardizem until tomorrow, because i wanted to get some opinions and advice from you all. Doctors can prescribe these medications, and tell us generally what to expect... but they just can't provide the same information as a fellow HCM'er who's on the same drugs and experiencing the effects firsthand.

From the sounds of it, if my blood pressure and heartrate do drop, it's probably not going to be an immediate reaction that occurs as soon as i take my first dose? That's comforting, since my numbers are already pretty good. I'll have some time to react if i notice things slipping. I just have to get back in the habit of checking my BP and heartrate every day.

If the Cardizem does improve my symptoms, we'll probably cut back on the atenolol, or even get rid of it entirely. My doctor feels that i'm overly beta-blocked right now, and i'm inclined to agree with him. The man is amazing!

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Jim, Sounds like you've gotten pretty comfortable with your current cardiologist. That's good, I know you were struggling with your previous Docs. Best of luck to you on the changes in your meds. Let us know how you make out. Steve.

Comment

Thanks Steve, and all,

I've been on the cardizem/atenolol since saturday now. If i were content to spend the rest of my life bed-ridden, i'd say i was perfectly thrilled with the new meds, but alas this is not the case.

My energy level has now officially dropped to a big fat '0', i'm dizzy and feel like i'm going to pass out all the time, and i have this great new symptom where i can't breathe. Not SOB mind you... at least not what i'm accustomed to. This one feels like my lungs are actually incapable of expanding and contracting. Hard to explain really. Maybe i've just finally lost my mind.

So are these all symptoms that may go away soon... or is this merely a glimpse into my new and improved zombie-like existence?

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated

Jim

Comment

Jim, Call your doc back and find out if this is what he expected and if so, how long should it last? Will it pass? It would be helpful if you can give him a BP reading when you talk to him. If you can get someone to check your BP for you, have them do it for you lying down, then as soon as you sit up, and then when you stand up. Check the pulse in those 3 positions also. This will give the doc a lot of info to help adjust meds if that's in order. If your BP is dropping when you stand up, you may be able to adjust to it by moving more slowly and increasing fluid intake. As for the tiredness, let me know when you solve that one Good luck, Linda

Comment

Jim, when I was having a lot of chest pain, Dr. Asher at Cleveland clinic put me on cardiazem with the atenolol that I was already taking. He told me to lower my atenenol and add the cardiazem. I took it for three days and called and told him NO GO! I thought I felt bad before, but that stuff really wiped my out. It did relieve my chest pain but like you said I felt like I couldn't breathe. Not sob but it felt like someone was choking my neck and not letting enough air get through. Anyway, I went back to just atenenol and hope that it keeps on working so I won't have to change meds again. And yes I still get chest pains but have learned to just live with it for now. They do get bad sometimes but don't last very long so I just hope it stays like that. Now if only I could do something about the 265 premature beats I get in a 24 hr period!

Comment

I was on both for a long time. I was given Florinef Acetate to raise my lowered BP. Now have pacemaker and am only on Atenolol And Florinef. It keeps my BP up. Talk to doc.
                    Heart Transplant 7/16/06 - PRAISE GOD

Comment

I was just prescribed Cardizem today.....120 mg. By a new cardiologist.

I am not taking this or any other heart med. I just cannot tolerate the side effect of not being able to breathe.

Thank you Mtlieb, you confirmed what I have been saying all along when you said this:

My energy level has now officially dropped to a big fat '0', i'm dizzy and feel like i'm going to pass out all the time, and i have this great new symptom where i can't breathe. Not SOB mind you... at least not what i'm accustomed to. This one feels like my lungs are actually incapable of expanding and contracting. Hard to explain really. Maybe i've just finally lost my mind.
                      THAT'S IT, THAT'S THE FEELING!! It is like my lungs cannot expand or contract. Thank God, finally I don't feel like I am the only one.

I could not even get up to answer the phone without feeling like I was going to pass out.

I feel tired and short of breath without medication, but I feel so much worse when I take a beta blocker or calcium channel blocker.

Thank you again Mtlieb. My husband thinks I am just faking this and being difficult, now I can show him this post.

Whew!

Eileen
                      49 yrs. old
                      Diagnosed at 31.
                      Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                      First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                      Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                      Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                      My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                      2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Dear Eileen,

I saw your other post asking questions about your echo. I did not reply because I am no expert, so don't want to risk misleading you. However, I do have a comment on this post. Your concentric hypertrophy is not a good thing. Coupled with your high EF it is clear that your heart is working much too hard. If it keeps on working much too hard, you may eventually go into end stage HCM. You do not want that. So, what's my point? Beta blockers slow the heart and help to prevent this further deterioration. Have you tried tiny amounts at first to build up? Have you tried many different kinds of beta blockers to see if they will help? Please reconsider trying to find something that will work for you. We do not want you to have to join the transplant gang. I also have wondered how much of my shortness of breath and difficulty in walking is due to beta blockers rather than HCM, so I am sympathetic to your not wanting to use them. But I hope you will let the docs give it a try. (BTW - That last thing on your echo report means you really need to go get that ICD. So, do it.)

Please do not take this as supporting your husband's not understanding. He needs to realize that some of these meds are pretty nasty. But, I am concerned for you.

Rhoda

Comment

Eileen,

I'm glad that you are finding information and support here on the board. It sure helps to know there are others in the same boat as ourselves, and that our symptoms aren't 'all in our heads' as some would have us believe.

The bad experience i had with the meds was when my doctors added Cardizem to the Atenolol i was already taking. As you have read from my previous posts... it was not a pleasant experience for me to say the least and i'm sorry that you have had similar difficulties. Believe me when i say that i know your symptoms are very real... as i had firsthand experience with these myself.

However, please bear in mind that drug therapy is an important part of HCM management, and just about all of us are on some sort of medication regardless of our history. Everyone reacts differently to the various drugs available. For me, it was the combination of both drugs that had such a profoundly negative impact. Up until that time i had taken various dosages of Atenolol alone for many months and found that it worked great.

When i started this thread last April, my HCM symptoms had begun to get rapidly worse... and the addition of Cardizem was a last ditch effort to bring them under control. I was also going into CHF at the time which complicated matters somewhat. In June i had the myectomy, and i honestly haven't felt this good in years... but i still take 100mg of Atenolol each and every day to keep my tachycardia under control.

Please do not abandon your drug options altogether because of the bad experience you have had. There are many drugs available, in many different combinations and dosages. Everyone reacts a bit differently to these, so unfortunately it sometimes takes a great deal of experimentation to find out what works and what doesn't.

As Laoshur stated, i trully feel that you may be headed down a dangerous path by giving up your meds altogether. Please work with your doctor(s) to find something that will work well for you, and keep posting on the board to let us know how you are doing. There are many many folks here who have been where you are right now... and we are all here to help you.

Take care,

Jim

Comment

Eileen,

BTW, I am taking Diltiazem XL (240 am and 120 pm) as well as 200 mg Toprol XL (100 am and 100 pm).

I hope you can get some answers soon!

Rhoda

Comment

Rhoda,

May I ask, how do you feel on these medications?

It's just that I rememeber how I felt on the Toprol -- Ugh.

I have another question about medications and I am going to start a new thread about it.

Thank you Rhonda, I really appreciate you information.

Eileen
                              49 yrs. old
                              Diagnosed at 31.
                              Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                              First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                              Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                              Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                              My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                              2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X