If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

opinions on sotalol?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

AliBear Find out more about AliBear
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on sotalol?

Hi. I've been reading the boards since they started but never contributed...but here I am. I am 24 and next week my meds are being switched from Amniodorone to Sotalol. Ive been on Amnio since i was 17 (age of diagnosis) and have have grown accostomed to that drug. Im nervous about the switch, which i need to do because of complications with it, and would like to get a sence of how Sotalol "Feels".

Any help would be great...
    Thanks...
    Ali
    Proud Heart Transplant Recipient - November 6, 2004.

Re: opinions on sotalol?

I can only imagine that anything would feel great after amiodarone. I know about the side effects. I'm surprised they gave it to someone so young. They used to not do that.

I took sotalol for a while --no problems. Felt good.

Good luck and take care. I'm sure it will be a relief to be off the amio.

Sarah

Comment

Hi Ali,
      I know nothing about either of those two drugs, so I can’t add anything useful. I just wanted to welcome you to the boards, and to let you know we’re here to help whenever and however we can. You can always call on us.
      Burt

Comment

Hi Ali.
        Last July ALL my meds were changed due to a recurrence of a-fib. I went from 50mg of Atenolol a day to 120 mgs of Sotolol twice a day. The first thing I noticed was I slept better. My dreams were not quite as off the wall and vivid. The second thing was that the many PVC’s that had plagued me over the years were greatly diminished. However that was only after I read the fine print on how to take this medicine. Take at least 1 hour prior to eating or 2-3 hours after. Do not take with food!

So after almost 9 months I feel fine. I wish you the best.

Peace,

Leon
        God Squad co-moderator
        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Hi, Ali,

When I had my myectomy in 2000, I was put on Procainamide, for possible A-fibs, and varying doses of Toprol XL. In 2002, Procainamide was switched to Sotalol, due to possible long-term side effects of the Procainamide. The dosage of Sotalol was 80 mg. twice daily. I finally got over being nauseous; but continued to walk into walls, fall onto furniture, lose my thinking abilities, just couldn't think of the next word to say in a sentence. Even trying to recall something I had done was difficult, if not impossible. Thankfully, I've been taken off the Sotalol. As far as A-fibs, those are being dealt with in another manner.

Just goes to show you how very different we all are, even with the same HOCM disease.

Best of luck to you on the Sotalol. I know it can be very helpful to some.
          Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

Thank you all so much for getting back to me - its a big change for me and i've been nervous about it - I really appreciate the feedback and the kind words.

also, i am 10 days off of amio, im only taking my lasix and an asprin - my doctors said that i would feel the clinical effects of the amio being taken away approx 2 weeks after the stop date - does anyone know how that might feel? Im counting down and feeling anxious....

Thanks

Ali
            Proud Heart Transplant Recipient - November 6, 2004.

Comment

Hello....

I used to be on Atenolol, but after going into AF i was switched to Sotalol. Went back into AF and my sotalol was increased to 240 mg a day. I do not have any side effects or problems with this.

Rich.

Comment

Hey Rich,
                First posting and first day on the boards - - - you’re very welcome here.
                Very nice to see you contributing on your very first day of membership. This is not a particularly good disease – although there are much worse – but I think you’ll find we are a friendly and concerned group who care about each other. Hope to see you posting again soon.
                Burt

Comment

Rich, Welcome to the site. Glad to hear the med is working well for you. That will be encouragement for many others in the future. Linda

Comment

I was just started this Tuesday on 80 mg. of sotolol twice a day. I take 240 mg. of verapamil also. I had to be hospitalized so they could monitor how I reacted to it. So far, I feel sluggish but maybe it takes time for your body to adjust to a new med. I am hoping SO badly that this controls my AFIB. I dread that beast..glad it has been working for you
                    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I was on amiodarone and had got sooooo sick after being on it for 2 years. I have amiodarone induced hyperthyroidism and after that diagnoses I got started on sotalol and I feel good and I was nervose about the switch too.
                      Jen

Comment

Hi Ali
                        Welcome to the message board! You will see that there are many people here willing to share their opinions with you, but then you must take it from there. Medications are not the same for all people.
                        I have been on sotolol for almost 2 years now. Prior to that I was on Inderal. I have been doing much better as far as palpitations are concerned.
                        Good luck and keep us posted.
                        Esther
                        Esther

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X