If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ear Infection Vaccine

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear Infection Vaccine

Hi All,

I'm sorry if this is not directly related to HCM...

I have heard of a vaccine that helps to guard against ear infections. I have gotten, at minimum, four or five ear infections a year since i was a youngster, and it is starting to affect my hearing among other things. Apparently there is a vaccine now that can be given to children that helps to prevent ear infections, and it is also sometimes effective in adults. I have asked both my PCP and my ENT about this, and neither one has any information at all. Has anyone heard of this vaccine... and if so, which vaccine is it?

Thanks much,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: Ear Infection Vaccine

Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine is available as "Pneumo 23", or Prevnar

Pneumococcal infections are caused by a bacteria called Streptococcus pneumoniae. This germ can cause several different infections, including:

meningitis (brain infection)
    bacteremia (bloodstream infection)
    pneumonia (lung infection)
    otitis media (middle ear infection)

It is indicated for the prevention of invasive infection, such as pneumonia or meningitis, caused by those types of pneumococci contained in the vaccine.

A single dose of pneumococcal vaccine should be given to persons in the following groups at increased risk of pneumococcal disease or its complications:

Adults
    1. All persons 65 years of age.
    2. Adults with asplenia, splenic dysfunction or sickle-cell disease.
    3. Adults with the following conditions: chronic cardiorespiratory disease, cirrhosis, alcoholism, chronic renal disease, nephrotic syndrome, diabetes mellitus, chronic cerebrospinal fluid leak, HIV infection and other conditions associated with immunosuppression (Hodgkin’s disease, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, immunosuppression for organ transplantation).

Children
    1. Children 2 years of age with asplenia, splenic dysfunction or sickle-cell disease.
    2. All children ³ 2 years of age with nephrotic syndrome, chronic cerebrospinal fluid leak, HIV infection and other conditions associated with immunosuppression.

Younger children can get 4 doses of the pneumococcal vaccine (brand name: Prevnar, Wyeth, when they are:

2 months old, 4 months old, 6 months old, and 12-15 months old.

Comment

Re: Ear Infection Vaccine

Wow. Thanks for the info!
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X