If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verapamil with Atenolol

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verapamil with Atenolol

I've read in a few posts here that it's not recommended to mix verapamil and atenolol? (but a few do )....why is this not usually done?? Secondly, what would be the case that they were both used??
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Verapamil with Atenolol

Hi Cynthia,
    Boy you sure know how to ask some interesting questions.

I haven’t seen any postings that said the use of both these drugs together is not recommended. Actually I am currently on both drugs – Verapamil HCL SR, 360 mg / day, and Atenolol, 50 mg / day. Although the dosages have changed from time to time, I’ve more or less been on both for years.

Here are a couple of sites that will probably give you more information then you are looking for.

Verapamil
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...r/a684030.html

Atenolol
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...087.html#SXX05

Take care, and I hope your bout of stomach flu is over.
    Burt

Comment

Cynthia, Both of these drugs slow the conduction of the heart beat down thru the AV node - a normal conduction pathway in the electrical system of heart. Using them together can slow it too much so must be watched very carefully. It doesn't present the same concern for a person with an implanted pacemaker because the pacemaker will kick in if it slows too much. All these meds have their uses and benefits, but must be monitored closely, esp when first starting them. Your doctor is measuring the time intervals on EKG strips, etc to be sure things are safe for you. Ask him to explain your situation to you, remembering that each person has different needs and individual reactions to meds. Linda

Comment

thanks for your input! I've tolerated the verapamil good so far....but am getting a lot of premature beats. I'm wearing a loop monitor so I've been recording these periodically and calling into the 800 number for recording. the results are sent to my doctor. I just wish these extra beats would diminish! I'm sure I'll get some answers when I go to Boston on the 16th for a follow up
        \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia,

What is normally a bad side-effect for other folks is actually a positive one for us HCM'ers. Just goes to show ya we're a wierd bunch

Jim

VERAPAMIL HCL (VERAPAMIL HYDROCHLORIDE) and ATENOLOL
          Severity: Major

Description: Treatment with both VERAPAMIL and BETA-ADRENERGIC BLOCKERS may result in low blood pressure and slow heartbeat. Verapamil may interact with a group of medications called beta-adrenergic blockers (also known as beta blockers). Beta blockers include but are not limited to propranolol, Lopressor(R), Corgard(R), and atenolol (Tenormin(R)). If you are not sure if your medication is a beta blocker, contact your physician. Your physician may decide that treating you with both verapamil and beta blockers is the best option. If you are being treated with both verapamil and beta blockers, and are experiencing lightheadedness, dizziness, shortness of breath, or slow heartbeat, contact your physician.
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Let’s be honest folks,
            No matter what drug or drugs anyone takes, their condition should be monitored and the medication(s) adjusted or changed as necessary. This pertains to anybody, not just HCM’ers, and all medications, including OTC drugs.

All these medications came into being because of their effects on the body, and since we are all different extra care should be taken when first starting a new drug or mixture of drugs. That doesn’t mean that drugs should be avoided, as we are all looking for the best condition of life possible. It only means that taking the drug or drugs in question should improve that condition of life – not the other way around.

And that my friends is why you can’t get a license to practice medicine by mail order – despite what some doctor’s actions would lead you to believe.
            Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X