If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

verapamil doses

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• verapamil doses

How does a doctor know that you would need an increase in verapamil?
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: verapamil doses

Cynthia,
    Verapamil HCL is a Calcium Channel Blocker. For a description of itsí uses check out -

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/verapsr.htm

Obviously, if the dosage a person is taking is not doing the job intended, and the dosage is below the recommended maximum, or the maximum the doctor feels the patient can tolerate, the doctor will in all probability increase the dosage.

If, on the other hand, the doctor feels this medication is not doing the job, and will not do the job for this patient, the doctor will in all probability change to another drug.

Medicine is still an art since we all are different and react differently to the various medications. A doctorís experience and training play a big part in his decision making, but in the final analysis it is still a subjective decision.
    Hope this helps you understand the situation.
    Burt

Comment

Thank you for your input, Burt. It has only been 2 weeks since I have started the verapamil (120 mg.). So far, so good, with controlling the A-fib. However, I have noticed an increase in my pulse rate. It has been 50 for many years and now is around 70 bpm. I mentioned this last week to my doctor and he said that was o.k. Again, however, I have noticed a lot of premature beats....very annoying when sitting still and laying down. I am wearing a loop monitor for a month and have a follow up visit March 16. When I call in a recording, the nurse said that they fax the doctor the recorded results almost right away....so I know he is seeing what I am feeling, so to speak. I'll have to wait and see what they have to say....
      \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia,
        Getting the right dosages of the right drugs for each individual is a tricky business. Glad to hear your doctor is monitoring you and doing the appropriate follow-up. Hope you experience much better control soon.

Iím currently on 360 mg of Verapamil and 50 mg of Atenolol, among my other drugs, and Iím doing pretty well. My pulse rate is generally at sixty, or in the sixties. Iím through with a stinking cold now, except for the cough, and as a result I currently have a touch of CHF. Hopefully that will clear away soon too.
        Burt

Comment

does anybody know the maximum dosage for verapamil? i've been taking it since i was 14, first at 180, then 240, and i've finally settled in at 360 for the better part of 8 years. i've wondered whether or not my body would get conditioned to the 360, or if my condition worsened, would i have to go up in dosage?

since i've been on the 360, i've felt like any healthy male. i've been intensely involved in kenpo, sparring, baseball, and running over the past four years. and i hardly miss a beat...no pun intended. but, i wonder when, if, perhaps, i will need a new dosage.

Comment

Slettenca,
            I am on 360mg of Verapamil too but apparently the maximum dose for someone with CM is 480mg, unless you have angina, in which case 360mg. This could be wrong but its what I've been told by my docs as they tried putting it up a dose to help my chest pain but it didnt have any effect.
            Tina

Comment

I was finally diagnosed with HCM in January although Iíve had it most of my life. A couple of months ago I was increased from 240 to 360mg / day of the Verapamil. I also take 50mg of Atenolol - and Iíve generally been OK. (Iíve been on both for years Ė except the Atenolol was stopped for a couple of months because of my kidneys.)

Then I got a cold with a cough. The cold went, but the cough lingers on. In the middle of February my endocrinologist heard fluid in my lungs - again. The first week in March my PCP said my lungs were clear, but I had bronchitis. The cough started to fade, and then started getting stronger again. This morning I was seen by the VA nurse who said I had fluid in my lungs once again. She suggested I increase my Lasix for a few days, but since I tend to dehydrate I wouldnít do that without my cardiologistsí approval.

Upon leaving the VA facility I got another HOCM attack. I slowly went to lunch (didnít want to miss it) but the problem persisted. I called my cardiologist but as luck would have it heís on vacation this week. Sooo, Iím going to gather up a few pair of shorts, underwear and socks, and head over to the ER, just in case they want to keep me. My last visit to the hospital ended January third, and I had high hopes of staying clear of that place for awhile. (I was hospitalized seven times in 2003 Ė and believe me I donít want a recurrence of that.)

See you guys again soon.
              Burt

Comment

You'll be in my thoughts and I hope you are doing better.

Your adopted grandkid!

mary S.

Comment

I got out of the hospital this afternoon. While there nobody heard any fluid in my lungs, but they didnít like my EKG when I was in the ER so I was admitted. Tuesday the back-up cardio (mine is on vacation this week) didnít think my EKG had changed all that much, however I did talk him into ordering another echo. This was done Tuesday evening.

The results wonít be known for a few days. Iíll get a copy and fax it to my cardio and find out if he wants any follow-up. From my experience it was a moderate HOCM attack, which cleared off rather quickly with the bed rest. I still have that stinking cough, and the CHF seems to come and go with the breeze. The doctor said it could change from one to the other in an hour or so. So here I am, free again and hoping to remain so.
                  Burt

Comment

Hope things continue to go well for you, Linda

Comment

Much relieved you are out of the hospital! I know exactly how you feel!

Mary S.

Comment

Burt,
                        I am glad to hear you are home! I hope you are feeling ok. Please take care of yourself.
                        Lisa
                        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                        Currently not obstructed
                        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X