If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Medicine

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Medicine

I was on toprol xl for 7 months and was told i shouldn't take toprol if i have lung problems which i do, Dr. gilligan put me on Diltiazem a calcium channel blocker. My question is i'm on the lowest dose to start with, how long should i give the medicine to work, before calling him back to up the medicine because I'm still having problems with my blood pressure staying at 140/95 and heart rate staying at between 90 and 135 which worries me because, it is putting a strain on my heart i would think, I still get dizzy and having more palpitations than usual, Dr. Gilligan said give it time to work, but how long of a time should i wait before calling him back, my pcp doctor upped my Spirolactone to 50mg a day because I'm still having problems at night with coughing and i sound congested well i am congested, Thank you in advance for any answer you can give me, i just don't want to bother the dr. if i don't have to
    Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Re: New Medicine

Shirley,

I would call your doctor...having that heart rate seems much too fast. I've got a heart rate of approx. 50 bpm being on atenolol..
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Shirley, Call your doctor, he will want to know. You are coming up on a long wkend, don't wait. Call today. Good luck and keep us posted. Linda

Comment

Resting heart rates should not be over 100 on medication.

That should be your guideline --sustained (several hours or more) tachycardia means call the doctor.

s

Comment

Sarah,

I had not heard that before, so i'm glad you brought it up. Over the last couple months i've had lots of periods of tachycardia that have lasted well over several hours each. I just thought it was the illness and/or antibiotics. Should we be calling our doctors when this happens?

Also, in regard to Shirley's situation, is it normal to switch to calcium channel blockers without first trying other beta blockers?

Thanks,

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Sarah I tried calling the Dr.s office today and she said she would call Dr. Gilligan and have him call me, but i called Thurs. and the nurse told me he wasn't there because i had a question about my lasix, she was suposed to have Dr. Gilligan call me Friday and i got no call back and still haven't talked to the Dr. I don't know what is going on but I am going to find out tomorrow, she will get tired of me calling and put Dr. Gilligan on the phone when i'm done, I can't imagine it being the dr. I think she is forgetting to talk with him, I hope it's the nurse and not the Dr.

Take care
            Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Jim, Beta blockers can cause problems for lung problems so it is not an issues of attempting one BB over a different one.

Shirley,
              Call Dr. Gilligan and let him know what is going on.

Best to all!
              Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Jim

As Lisa referred to, Shirley's specific issue with BBs is lung side effects (doesn't happen a lot, but it does).

It is typical to try beta-blockers first, then calcium-channel blockers, then anti-arrhythmics, sometimes ace inhibtors, but those have other issues, and combinations thereof.

Everyone reacts differently to different meds.

s

Comment

Sarah and Lisa,

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. As much as i'd like to think i've learned about HCM, there is still so much i don't know. For instance, you have both mentioned tachycardia...

What exactly is the difference between sinus tachycardia and ventricular tachycardia? I would think that if your heart is beating rapidly like that, it is all the same for us HCM'ers. If my heart starts going wacky and beats in excess of 100 bpm for an extended period of time, like it has been for hours or days at a time... how do i know whether it is sinus or ventricular tachycardia and if i should go see someone? Is there a way to tell the difference by how it feels? I'm having such a hard time right now trying to distinguish between episodes that are 'normal' and episodes that should prompt me to see a physician.

Thanks much.

Jim
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Well guys i got through to Dr. Gilligans nurse to find out he is on vacation, she says it states in my record, to increase meds as needed, but she doesn't feel comfortable doing that without the Dr.s ok, she just said if you start having problems before Monday go to the ER, he told her that i could increase my lasix Friday but she forgot to call me , he said just be careful and don't dehydrate myself, only take when needed, and take potassium, i told her i already do and have for years, well i guess i have no choice but to wait, my daughter is going to help me with Thanksgiving dinner this year because it is my birthday on the 27 this year, yes i was born on thanksgiving my dad calls me his turkey baby, mom got up to baste the turkey and her water broke and the rest is history. Everyone have a GREAT TURKEY DAY

Shirley
                    Diagnosed 2003
                    Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Jim, sinus tachycardia means a rapid heart(above 100) that starts in the atrium (upper heart chamber) where it should start and moves down thru the heart in the way that it should. It is just faster than it should be. Ventricular tachycardia is fast (above 100), but originates from the ventricles so is not normal and is more dangerous. It loses the input of the atria for filling of the ventricles so the heart can't pump out as much blood as is needed. The rapid rate is harder work for the heart in both types and requires a greater output of blood to supply oxygen to the heart muscle, but the heart doesn't have time to adequately fill, so is actually pumping out less with each beat, adding to the vicious cycle. At least with sinus tach, you still have some help from the atria. If you are dizzy, short of breath, chest pain, any of the usual danger signals, then you need to do something about it. The ventricular tach is definitely a danger and will most likely cause obvious symptoms in most people within a short time. Nothing is ever absolute tho, and the way to really know which you are experiencing is thru a monitor/ekg. Hope this helps. Linda

Comment

I think what Linda said was that if you have vtach you are probably passing out and if you are in sinus (atrial) tach, you are just feeling cruddy.

s

Comment

Well i know i really feel cruddy
                          Diagnosed 2003
                          Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

V tach is the more dangerous one. Each person will react to each one differently. Some may be very symptomatic from the sinus tach and other people may not even realize they are having episodes of V tach. Everyone is different. We've had people tell us here on the message board that they have been called by their doc because they had V tach on a holter or event monitor, leading to an ICD implant. Just because the rhythm problem is lower in the heart makes it more dangerous. How you are feeling doesn't really tell you which is causing the tach. It's important to let your doc know you are having probs and have the monitoring to see what is really going on. Guess I'm not explaining this too well, but someone else will help me out. Everyone's good about that. Sorry, but to coin one of Lisa's phrases, "My brain is cooked" tonite. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                            X