If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toprol XL, Am I being stupid, or resourceful?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

felixdacat Find out more about felixdacat
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toprol XL, Am I being stupid, or resourceful?

Here’s a quick summation.
    3 years ago, when I was first diagnosed with HCM, I was prescribed Toprol XL. I went from 25MG’s per day to 75MG’s within a year and a half.
    Then I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. I was put on Verapramil because “it was better for low oxygen levels”.
    My Apnea was cured by surgery and I became symptomatic anyway. My cardiologist decided to put me back on Toprol, but only at 50MG’s per day.
    I still was symptomatic, even after being back on Toprol for the last two months. A few weeks into Toprol, I reminded my cardiologist that I used to be on 75MG’s, but she said 50 was fine.
    Ok, there is still a bunch of other tests being done, and procedures being looked through. But in the meantime I have some annoying symptoms that are really bringing down the quality of life (Fatigue, chest tightness, some palipations).
    I thought to myself, I used to be on 75, so what harm would it do to experiment.
    So a few days ago, I tried upping the dose on my own. I have had 3 days with almost no symptoms.
    Opinions?
    Fx

Re: Toprol XL, Am I being stupid, or resourceful?

Ideally, you should have called the doctor and said, "hey, I feel like crud, I want to increase my dose to 75." and she probably would've come around if you pressed the issue.

You were making an educated decision based on prior experience, you were just cutting the doctor out --partly out of needing a higher dose and perhaps in a tiny part b/c you felt she cut you out of the earlier decision?

Medicine works best when doctor and patient communicate openly and then you don't have to worry about it

my two cents

Comment

Thanks Sarah.
      If you read my other posts you will find that I'm not feeling too sympatico with my cardilogist these days. Something that is not too uncommon on these boards.
      She is smart, confident, has a great approach in explaining things, but she is not as experienced with HCM as I feel I need.
      When she first suggested surgery, she even warned me against going to internet message boards. I'm very glad I ignored that advice.
      Fx

Comment

Felix - I think what you did was fine, especially since you are scheduled for a thorough new HCM evaluation by those who know HCM. The first thing they would try is upping your meds, esp. since you took this dose before. I am not saying you should always self medicate, but in your situation, while you are exploring your options before contemplating surgery, and are soon going to be consulting with a new doctor, and you have taken this dose before, I don't see any harm. What you do need, however, is to establish a good working relationship with some doctor who you can call up and discuss this sort of thing with.

In this day and age, its unfortunate, but many of us know more about our condition than our doctors, so we have to keep after them and use our best judgment. The crucial thing is being able to judge our own ability to monitor ourselves.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X