If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miserable Cold

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

annamc Find out more about annamc
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miserable Cold

Hi,

I have a miserable cold. It has caused me to have a sore throat, trouble sleeping b/c of phlegm, and cough. I don't know what over the counter medicines I can take. Any one know what HOCM cannot take who is on Inderal LA and Warfarin Sodium? I really need some relief.

I was prescribed 'Atuss EX Syrup' that I still have, and it helps some. I was wondering though have any of you heard of this type of medicine? I know it is a Hydrocodone and don't know if it is okay to take...It was prescribed by my general practitioner upon trip to the emergency room when I had a severe case of cough that caused regurgitation. It was horrible...

Very much appreciated, Anna

Re: Miserable Cold

Anna, you can try regular Benadryl. Sometimes that has a drying effect. Other than that, just push the fluids to keep it loose.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Thanks Reenie! I got to looking at all the other over the counter meds and the ingredients made my head nearly spin. It's rough to have to tough it out. It seems like the cold wants to attack me when I lay down at night. Grr... Oh well, I did find a non presciption solution that I'm going to get and use after this cold to prevent further one's, it's a Nasal Rinse. I know Sarah mentioned a Neti Pot in the Toprol Xl-Cold & Flu post, but I found a bottle type that looks easier for me. If any one wants to check it out, I found it at: www.nationalallergysupply.com

Hope all are well and I'll try to feel better (cough, sniffle),
      Anna

Comment

Hydrocodone is a narcotic that also acts as a cough suppressant. Personally, my feeling is that you are better off softening up the junk in your lungs with steam and hot tea and vapo-rub, etc., to make it easier to cough up and then cough it up --you are coughing to get rid of it b/c it needs to be gotten rid of.

Also, hydrocodone is a serious narcotic and is very addictive. This is the generic for vicodin in pill form and many famous (and not famous) have gone to rehab to get over them. You can't drive on it and it probably makes you sleepy. If you take it on an empty stomach it can make you throw up.

It isn't going to mess up your heart, but it is has other issues.

take care and feel better. i tried to look up the rinse, but the link wasn't working. i'll try again later.

seb

Comment

The link is working today, I tried it. I am thinking of getting the Sinus Rinse Kit by NeilMed or the one called Saltaire.

Hydrocodone a narcotic, yikes!!! Coughing it up is gross though, but I guess... I don't even like it that well, it was prescribed by my GP and I've always got to watch what he gives me b/c he has no idea what to give someone like me. I looked back in the drug book and you were right it is Vicodin. That GP makes me so mad! Oh, and I took some this morning before knowing it may make you vomit on an empty stomach. Now, I feel worse than before, even though my cough is gone. I got to get some drug free solutions stocked up. My head is hurting.

Soon as I get over this cold, I am going to use a nasal irrigator as many times as it says to everyday to keep free of that stuff. Also, you could look up Nasal Rinse at www.drugstore.com

Talk to you later, Anna

Comment

Anna,

I took at look and it is the same principle, the neti pot is just a little more "do it yourself" than the others, I think. It is tricky sometimes to get the right angle, so if it works with your head straight up and down, then that is great. Let me know how you like it.

I know what you mean about doctors. I've had a stroke and I've had two different doctors prescribe xanax for me for anxiety, even though they knew I'd had a stroke. The official prescribing info on xanax says "don't take this if you've had a stroke." Duh.

Double-check everything always. Could save your life.

take care,

seb

Comment

Sarah,

Yeah, it does look tricky to try. I will let you know how I like it soon as I get one of those. I just found out there's something called Zicam Cold Relief RapidMelts which has zinc and other natural ingredients that will lessen cold symptoms and get rid of it in maybe 3 days. Darn, I wish I had those to try. www.zicam.com

Double checks, gotcha....

Take care, Anna

Comment

Hi everyone,

I just picked up the Zicam Extreme Congestion Relief, which I really hope is okay to use b/c I was feeling miserable.

The Active Ingredient is Oxymetazoline HCI 0.05% and it is a Nasal Decongestant. Is this bad for us? I really hope not b/c it last 12 hours and for the first time, I am breathing freely and can finally get food down and beverage without gagging or trying to breathe.

Thank you, Anna

Comment

Big sigh. Ok. Well, I went to their web site and it doesn't list their ingredients anywhere. It does link to a study of one of their other products, but not this one.

My concerns are these: it says a "mix" of ingredients, and it says "non-drowsy." Non-drowsy usually means stimulant, which means no-go. All decongestants are stimulants, by definition. However, Oxymetazoline HCI is the generic for Claritin, which is actually an antihistamine, like Benadryl, only it magically doesn't make you sleepy. So that could be the non-drowsy part, but if you are reading the box and it says "decongestant," then I'm worried there is some pseudophendrine in there.

Please look up _all_ the ingredients to be sure, or post them here and I'll check for you.

However, you feel better and you don't mention any palpitations or tachycardia, so it is probably fine. If it had a decongestant in it, you would probably feel your heart beating very oddly or very quickly or both.

let me know,

s

Comment

Sarah,

Okay, I will post ingredients. It is as follows:

Active Ingredient: Oxymetazoline HCI 0.05% Purpose: Nasal decongestant

Inactive Ingredients: alkoxylated diester, aloe barbadensis gel, benzalkonium chloride, benzyl alcohol, disodium EDTA, disodium phosphate, glycerin, hydroxyethylcellulose, hydroxylated lecithin, monosodium phosphate, purified water

I know, I know to be careful with over the counter things and believe me I don't take many, but to finally breathe again, felt great. Nope, there were no palpitations or tachycardia and I am doing much better.

Thank-you, Anna

Comment

Ok, I'm going to weigh in on this one. As a rule decongestants are a no-no. HOWEVER, they may or may not affect you adversely. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR about options. I don't have HCM. I HAVE had some serious tachycardia. I was always able to take Sudafed without adverse reactions to it. Remember, everybody is different. Talk to your doctor!!!

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X