If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

medications and "stiffness" of heart muscle

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medications and "stiffness" of heart muscle

are there any meds that help or improve stiffness of the heart muscle?
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: medications and "stiffness" of heart muscle

well i don't know about meds for a stiff heart but, the dr. i was going to said he was trying pacing me to try to get my heart to relax, he said he was pacing me at 60 beats per min, but my icd reading said it was pacing my heart 99% of the time, i know beta blockers help relax the heart and makes your heart beat better, but he said it would be a slight possibility that it would work, and it hasn't so far, but maybe with the right combonation it would work, i don't know, i left that cadio doctor, i couldn't trust him anymore, Cynthia take care, maybe someone else can answer better than I

p.s THEY HAVE BEEN PACING ME FOR 6months now
    Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

medication isn't going to make the actual muscle softer, but beta-blockers reduce the strength of the contraction and that is good as it makes the blood flow through the heart better and closer to normal than it would if the heart was beating as hard as it could.

am I explaining the difference between the soft tissue and the soft contraction well enough?

s

Comment

yup...thanks guys. I plan on having a talk with my PC doctor next Tuesday when I go for a physical. He teaches and lectures about HCM at UMASS hospital. I've been kind of wondering if I should drop my local cardiologist. Seems like you have to have severe chest pains for you to be seen. I've been having more funny beats and can feel it beating at times more forceful. I called a week ago and the nurse told me to have my thyroid checked (I'm on a med for that). It came back normal. That's the second time I was told to go to my primary care doctor. I still see (every 3 months) the docs at Tufts-NEMC...
        \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X