If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authorized Generic for Toprol-XL

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

kitab500 Find out more about kitab500
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authorized Generic for Toprol-XL

For over 5 years now I have been using the authorized generic of Toprol-XL per my cardiologist's recommendation (Cleveland Clinic). I take 100 MG tabs twice a day. When I was originally diagnosed I was put on 50 MG once a day and took any generic. As my HOCM symptoms worsened my dosage increased. At 100 MG once a day (any generic) I started to experience severe insomnia. I was referred to Cleveland Clinic where I had a myectomy and an ICD implanted. I was told only to take the authorized generic and even though my dosage increased, I no longer experienced insomnia.

My understanding is that both Toprol-XL and the authorized generic, Metoprolol ER Succinate, are still made by AstraZeneca in Sweden but are distributed by different companies. In around 2016 I was told that the authorized generic distributor changed from Par to Lannett. I confirmed then that it was the same product and had no problems. Recently, I had trouble getting the prescription filled. Walgreens said their supplier could not get it from Lannett anymore. I contacted Lannett and they said they no longer distribute it - no other information. I tried contacting Aralez who was the brand name distributor in North America but they seem to be out of business. I contacted AstraZeneca and they said they "divested" the drug and seemed to believe that they no longer made it even through their phone tree recognized the drug by name. They referred me to New American Therapeutics who seem to only have Toprol XL in their portfolio. They said that they are no longer offering an authorized generic. But they confirmed that Toprol XL is made by AstraZeneca in Sweden.

I know Cleveland Clinic can sometimes be old school in their instance on certain things, but my experience with this drug is that the manufacturer does matters. Currently I am trying to get my insurance company to cover the brand name. The difference for a 90 day supply is something like $350 without insurance.

Has anyone else experienced any issues with generics of this drug or trouble obtaining the authorized generic?

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X