If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selenium

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Clive Find out more about Clive
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selenium

"In the fifties it was discovered that selenium reversed Cardiomyopathy heart disease in animals.
    In the seventies this same research was carried on with humans proving that Selenium along with Vitamin E reversed Cardiomyopathy heart disease. This condition is also recognized by WHO as a Selenium deficiency"

Comment taken from:-
    http://www.healthalternative.org/newpage13.htm

I am writing a feature on HCM for a magazine right now, and would appreciate any comments on the above.
    - Clive

Re: Selenium

Well, here's what I think.....

HCM is caused by a genetic defect, not a deficiency in a certain mineral, so it won't have any effect.

I personally have been taking selenium supplements of 50 mcg for the past couple of years because I have also read that selenium helps people who are hypothyroid, and I am hypo in addition to having HCM. With regard to hypothyroidism, it helps in the conversion in the body of the T-4 hormone to the T-3 hormone.

Anyway, at the same time I have been taking selenium, my HCM has progressed rather markedly....from being basically asymptomatic with no to a negligible gradient, to a marked one with definite symptoms.

So, in my case, and I suspect all others, it doesn't help!
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I would have to agree. I've been taking 200 mcg of selenium along with 400 IUE of vitamin E for many years and as I got older, my HCM became more symptomatic.

I do, however swear by Vitamin E. My dad has been taking in for years and years a doctor told him he had arteries of a young man. Additionally, when I went for my angiogram about 3 years ago, I had 0% stenosis on all coronary arteries.
      Perhaps keeping the arteries clean and suppling a good flow of blood to the large heart muscle will help. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
      It's bad enough we suffer with HCM, why suffer with coronary aretry disease.
      Diagnosed in 1980, ICD Implant 2003, 2nd ICD in 2010.
      Gene Positive, As is my mom as well as one of my 2 sons ( 50% Rule ) and my Grandson.
      Non Obstructive. Atenolol

Comment

I would agree that anything we can do to prevent CAD is important. Exercise, a balanced healthy diet, enough rest. And I, too, take Vitamin E, though the more recent research is beginning to question whether it is helpful. I decided I'd wait for more information before stopping it.

As to selenium. I don't take it or any of the other much-hyped trace minerals or "health supplements." I believe they help the health of their producers (through increasing their wealth) more than they contribute to the health of the consumer. If you want authoritative info, though, I'd recommend you search a variety of sources of information, including the government; I think you can get to their info about supplements through the NIH web site. And remember, Clive, cardiomyopathy is a VERY broad term which includes many different heart muscle disorders. The best-known and most common form is dilated cardiomyopathy. The causes of the dilated form share nothing in common with the causes of the hypertrophic form except in that tiny minority of HCMers who progress to dilated cardiomyopathy which is then called "end-stage" HCM.

The diagnosis of HCM had not yet been defined in the 1950s. And now the research is clear that HCM is caused by mutations in the genetic material; these mutations can be inherited, thus creating the frequent familial association of HCM. And the last word isn't in--in biological research new understandings happen daily!

Good luck with your article, Clive,
        Pat

Comment

I read that page about 4 years ago - it is not acccurate. I did a bit of research back then and forgive me if I am not 100% correct but I recall the article and the Seleium to be focused on different types of cardiomyopathy. Specificly - the selenium def. seemed more so to be related to dilated cardiomyopathy - and if memory serves me correctly - it appeared there was a connection between viral DCM and the shortage of selenium. This had nothing to do with HCM - although the article mentions HCM cases and SD risk associated with HCM.
          At some point I reached out to the website and exchanged a few emails with someone there who was not able to answer questions. If you find out more please let us know.
          Oh and yes, HCM is agenetic condition - BUT it may also predispose us to other issues that we do not understand yet...
          Always keep an open mind...but understand what is fact and what is thought.
          The thoughts of last year may be the facts of next year????

Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X