If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amiodarone for elevated heartbeat????

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

liona Find out more about liona
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amiodarone for elevated heartbeat????

I talked with Dr. Sherrid a few hours ago. I had the first alcohol ablation at St. Lukes' NYC on May 29th. Over the last few days, I began the same pattern of elevated heartbeat I had before the surgery---- Beat rising to about 110 during the night, Take 100mg of Metropolol in the am and wait an hour for the beat to descend to 60 or so. OK for 4-5 hours and then the same accelerated heartbeat.

Dr. Sherrid suggested I should try Amiodarone 2 50 mg a day. I said OK. Then I remembered reading about all the side effects, which frankly scare me. I already am terriably sunlight and heat sensitive. I've had 3 years of terriable optic neuritis after a head injury, the idea of getting it again is enough to give me nightmares.

Have any of you had good experiences with this drug??? I am wondering whether I should pick up the perscription or not, but I guess I have to try the drug to know if it would help me or not---------

Re: Amiodarone for elevated heartbeat????

Before you start on the meds talk to the doctor about your vision problems, this may be a major factor that he needs to know about.

Ask all your questions and make sure you are making the best choice for YOU.
    Be well,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I don't have any vision problem. I had my 3 year problem 19 years ago when I fell and cracked my skull. It is just a bad nightmarish memory. I can't see that it has any significance now----

I'm more interested to see if people in the forum have had positive experiences with this drug.

Comment

Liona,
        I take 250 mg per day(split up) and have been on that dose for a little over 2 years. Its helped tremendously with my rhythm problems and was the only anti arrythmic that was not pro arrythmic for me. My side effects include visual halos and some sleep disturbance also balance problems which have deminished somewhat. I get checked every 3 months for thyroid, liver function and yearly for pulmonary function. My liver enzymes are elevated and this may be the amio affecting my liver. I asked the experts panel at the HCM meeting what one does who is on amio and is having serious side effects and has failed other antiarrythmics - they didn't have an answer! I am going to try lowering the dose in the near future - I understand that at lower doses , amio is much less toxic...
        Chuck B

An inch is a cinch, a yard is hard

Comment

ctbarnes--

Dr. Sherrid suggested I start at 50 mg of amiodarone 2 times per day--not 250!!! So I guess if that small a dose works for me, I shouldn't be as concerned about side effects! Thank you for your input.

Comment

Even if it was 20 yrs ago - Amio can have serious effects on your vision - even cause blindness - please check with the doctor on this.
            50mg is rather low and I am not sure about its theraputic value at that level?
            I will do some checking.
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Liona, I am taking 200 mg a day of Amio and have for over a year now.
              I also go every 3 months for a liver function test and all is OK so far. I am more sensitive to the sun and I recently found a sunblock rated at 70 so I use it. I golf a lot and don't have a problem using a good sunblock.
              Other than the sensitivity to sun I don't have any other side effects.
              For me the drug works great and so far is a postive experience.
              Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
              So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
              Good luck and stay well.
              Glen

Comment

The April 22 (21?) Chicago Tribune Sunday Magazine had a whole article on the blindness and amio connection. There is a 2% chance of going blind on it --regardless of dose. That may or may not include simple vision disturbances AND I would think that your chances are much higher if you already have had problems.

Amiodarone is not like any other heart medication. It is absorbed by every cell in your body, pretty much. Let's say you take it and decide to stop --it will be in your system for 100 days --that is over three months! And the side effects will continue during that time, but lessening.

The article went on to say that amio is actually only approved by the FDA as a drug of LAST RESORT. It was never designed to be used as much or as early as it has been.

Yes, lots of people have done well and not had any problems, my mom included. However, I would certainly try sotalol and a few others before I went to amio.

My two cents.

S

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X