If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to lose weight

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

SummerbutterflyS Find out more about SummerbutterflyS
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to lose weight

Hello everyone.

I guess I will start a new topic with the question I have. I think I mentioned in one of the links that I am going to have the Lap Band which is a new procedure rather than gastic bypass done if everything is ok'ed.
    My question is whither any body else has had it done or knows someone that did and how they did with it?
    I have been gain weight almost faithfully in the last 3 years, since I stopped smoking which I weight 230 lbs then. I am now up to 279 lbs.
    Sometimes I think a lot of it is fluid especially in my stomach, I take 80 mg of lasic twice a day, most days, if I don't I bloat up like a balloon.
    I get really SOB from just getting up and walking to the bathroom. I am not able to do anything. I have gone to the ER twice when it got really bad but they say I don't have fluid on my lungs and there is nothing they can do. The SOB has worsen since I had my ACID implanted three weeks ago. Two weeks before that I started on Norpace, which when I came out of the hospital from starting it I felt so good, I was able to do things without having so much tightness in my chest, but two days later it was worse then before I started.
    Oh and I went to see Dr. Lever in March. He is the one that said try Norpace and had me get the ACID. I called his office last week and he called back on Friday but I wasn't home so I will try to contact him again tomorrow.
    When I eat, it feels like the food stays right between my chest bones and I can't hardly breath, even sitting in the chair. I can hardly sleep at night due to the fact that I can't lay down. I have two really thick pillows and my bed is elevated several inches, sometimes I have to sleep on the recliner. I have been so depressed lately because all I can do is sit and crochet. When I go shopping I have to use a riding cart cause I can't walk. And to top it all off I am going to be a first time grandmother in September and I WANT to be able to help with the baby.
    I believe if I can lose some weight I will do better. I'm I having false hope.
    Well enough crying for now.
    Dora J

Re: Need to lose weight

Dear Dora, (Nice name, my mom is Dora too.)

I'm sorry that I don't have any answers for you, but I wanted to tell you that I wish you the best of luck with the procedure. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Dear Dora,

Keep your chin up. I'm sure the lap band will be very successful. As for your symtpoms right now, do you have a pacemaker as well as an ICD? Sometimes the pacing needs adjusting. Otherwise, let us know what Dr. Lever says. You are in good hands and getting the best care.

We all have our bad days and bad episodes. I was on Norpace for ten years and it worked really well for me.

take care and know you aren't alone and we are all here for you.

S

Comment

Have you tried other weight loss programs? there are risks for the lap band that I am sure you know of and have thought about - -my question is are you sure it is time for this step? have you tried walking - and taking out fat and sugars from your diet? I know this likely sounds simple but I can not help but ask.
        Be well,
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Dora,

Good luck to you and be sure to let us know how everything works out! Speaking for myself i can certainly stand to take off about 50 lbs right now and i don't believe you are the exception here by any means. I've never weighed this much in my life, and i haven't even kicked the smoking habit yet as you have. I can only imagine what will happen when i do... yikes! They'll need a u-haul to move me from place to place

Having recently been diagnosed with HCM, it has affected my life in many ways... having to give up my physically demanding job, not being able to do a lot of the things i used to love, and so forth. But again, speaking only for myself, i've spent a few months here sitting around feeling sorry for myself rather than getting out there and doing some things to keep my body active. I'm sure that's not the case with the rest of you, it's just the way i am. Just like when i was diagnosed with cancer several years ago, i tend to grieve for a few months, then realize how stupid i'm being and get off my butt and do something about it. I'm happy to say that's going to change soon as i am headed back out to Montana to look for work and try to get my life back in order

At any rate, take good care of yourself, and by all means please let us know the outcome for you. I admire your courage in doing whatever you feel is necessary to make yourself healthy again

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hello, I am taking FREELIFE products and feel great. I have lost 10 pounds, with no problems. If you want to look around at these producys, go to, craignkimfisher.freelife.com If you have any questions, feel free to e mail me, Craig
            Hello, I`m Craig, I have H.O.C.M. and I`m making the most of my life with my daughter and my wife!!!

Comment

Shortly after I was diagnosed with HCM my cardiologist said to me that the best single thing I could do for myself was lose weight. I had been on a descending spiral for some time: feeling bad, exercising less because I did not feel like it, gaining weight, feeling even less like execising, gaining more, etc. I could not walk a block without SOB, chest pain, and dizziness. I was feeling terrible and I had decided that life was not worth living if I could not improve it in some way.

So I grabbed at this one straw. I am 6 feet tall and I weighed 275 lbs.

I thought about what I would do and made several decisions.

1- No diet. I did not change what I ate, but I changed the quantity. I allowed myself only a third of what I would normally take. I allowed myself seconds if I was famished after the first plate, but I think hard about whether or not I really want that second helping, and usually reject it as unnecessary. The only exception I allow is undressed salad. I gorge on salad without dressing if I feel like it. I have no excuse to be hungry. I can always eat salad.

2- No food rewards. But lots of non-food rewards like reading that book that I don't have time for, watching a video, listening to a CD. No suffering sainthood, just no more huge bowls of chocolate ice cream as a reward or consolation.

3- I got a puppy and started taking him for a walk every morning and evening. As he got bigger and stronger, I got smaller and stronger. My dog is important because I cannot pass up walking him. I love dogs and I cannot bear to make him suffer because I feel a little lazy.

In 18 months, I had lost 100 pounds. At 53 I weigh less than I have at any time since I entered high school. And I feel so much better, I can scarcely believe it. Some of that is due to the verapamil I take, but I think the weight loss is also critical. I still get occasional symptoms, but very seldom and they go away so much more quickly. It has been a year since I met my 100 lb goal. I still follow my plan and my weight has not changed.

The point of this, I think, is that you can do things to help yourself. It was not hard, but I know I could not have done it if I was not honest with myself in recognizing that I was the one who had to live my decisions and figuring out how to enjoy a better way of life.

I hope this helps you. Marv

Comment

Marv, you've done a wonderful job. I think I might take a page out of your book, minus the dog. (My daughter is allergic.) I'm glad you're feeling so much better, too. Way to go!

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

BRAVO MARV!!!
                  Good advice, good job and good for you!

Best wishes,
                  Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I just started the High Protein / Low Carb diet. I am on my sixth day and have already lost 8 lbs. I am less tired in the afternoon. I enjoy eating meats just have to get by with no pasta & potatoes. MY cardiologist never wants me to diet , he says just eat less. The Atkins diet seems to be a different way of eating less. He also told me not to lose wait to fast. He's afraid of creating arrythmias. I am in constant Afib already, my pacer works 90% of the time. I have not had a epsiode in 4 years when I went to the hospital and got my dual mode pacer.
                    My weight was up to 250 at my worst I am now down to 230, I would like to break 200#'s. Are their any facts I should be aware of about this diet?
                    What should I be on the look out for?
                    Thanks
                    Chris Brown

Comment

Chris,

My wife did the Atkins diet a couple of years ago (she has no heart problems) and her blood pressure dropped to about 90 over 50, and she almost fainted because of it.
                      She had to stop the diet immediately.
                      But that's just one persons experience, if it works for you, keep it up!

Take care,
                      Fred

Comment

Chris,
                        Be careful to supplement with some sort of fiber. I know of several people who got diverticulitis on this diet. Combining this diet with calcium channel blockers, especially Verapamil, which are constipating, could cause problems. I know from experience.

Rhoda

Comment

I have a question for anyone considering any 'diet.' Is this 'diet' what you want to do for the rest of your life? Losing weight is not something you endure for a few months and then return to the good old ways. You have to make a decision to live better. If you decide to torture yourself with some wierd regimen, you will fail. When you make your life better, the first day of your better life should be an improvement. If you find yourself looking back fondly on the good old days, you have made a mistake. Find the mistake and fix it.

If what I call a wierd regimen is exactly the way you want to live, then you should do it, but if you plan to suffer for a while and then everything will be better, forget it. You will not get where you want to go by suffering. Save that for the day your cardiologist says you need a myectomy. That is the time to suffer for a few days and recover to better than before. Losing weight is not like that.

I apologize for harping on this, but I feel so sad when I see people hurting themselves when they try to help themselves. You don't have to do that. Be kind. To yourself, to everyone. Marv

Comment

Marv, you make an excellent point. Thanks for pointing that out.

Reenie
                            Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Marv,
                              I agree you make some good points, I will take them all into consideration.I am also glad you apoligized for harping, you do not need to feel sadness for people who choose to try and make their life better. We all have choices in our life, and I choose to cut down on my Carb's and cut down on my portions, that is an improvement in my life I do look back at the carb's I was eating all day, cereal, breads, potatoe chips, pasta. The good old day's were not to fond. And now the weight is finally coming off. I do want to eat better for the rest of my life, and feel better, and play with my 4 children as they grow up. So if this is what you call a
                              "Weird Regimen". Then I must be weird Thanks for your support Marv.
                              Be kind to yourself & God Bless You.
                              Chris

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X