If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verapamil and Extreme Fatigue

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

BrodyB Find out more about BrodyB
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verapamil and Extreme Fatigue

Lee is on 120 mg. Verapamil per day and while his HCM symptoms (SOB, chest pain) have improved well, he is so fatigued he cannot get up in the mornings for school.

Have any studies been performed or does anyone have experience with what foods might affect this and what can be done to alliveate the fatigue. He is going back to the cardiologist, Dr. Hong at Asan Medical Center on Friday.

Brody

George Bernard Shaw

I know grapefruit should be avoided, because both the grapefruit snd verapamil compete for the same enzyme in the liver. Thats the only thing I know of.

Comment

Brody,
      Something to remember with teenagers... they sleep more then young children and far more then adults anyway...It is hard to know how much of the issue is HCM, Meds, or just being a teen... I recall just about my entire family (those with and without HCM) could sleep till noon as teens as did many of my friends at that age.
      Just a thought.
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

My 3 y/o daughter is taking 270mg per day and has a typical energy level. The one thing I think you'll see throughout this talk groups experiences and with almost any other condition is that meds effect people in different ways, and its worth experimenting with different regimenes until you find one that works for the individual patient.

Comment

Re: Verapamil and Extreme Fatigue

Update to all,

I took the time to for my son to adjust to the Verapamil, but two weeks ago I began trying something different. I had him stay on the same schedule for sleep and wakening for non-school days, and pressured him to get up on school days more. A family member is also a naturo-pathic doctor and provided a list of suppliment for him to try, which we began 6 weeks ago. He believes he is able to rest better now after starting them. For two weeks he had been able to make every class. Believe that with the scheduling and use of some natuopathic treatments he is resting better and wakes more alert. Thank you all.
          Brody

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

That's great to hear Brody!! I'm glad to know that Lee isn't as tired. I know that Verapamil didn't work well with my husband. Quite often it's a matter of time.

Take care,

Kren

Comment

Hello all, it`s the ATENOLOL, thats makes me tired, 250 mg. I guess will do that !
              Hello, I`m Craig, I have H.O.C.M. and I`m making the most of my life with my daughter and my wife!!!

Comment

Hi there!

I was on verapamil for several years and, though not a teenager at the time, I do feel that in lowering my BP it took an edge off my energy level. It was a catch-22 for me, physically I could last longer but didn't have to energy to do it. Keeping a routine does help as your body will adjust to the medication and sleep pattern. Perhaps an adjustment to the dosage is somethng you could discuss with your doctor?

Hope this is of some help.
                Take care,
                Rebeca

Comment

I think its tricky. I believe HCM itself causes fatigue. When I took Atenalol---I think I became even more mentally sliggish and physically and Verapamil mitigated it somewhat. My gut or intuition tells me HCM for some leads to fatigue and malaise. Unfortunately, everyone responds differntly to medications as well so who really knows. The thing to do is to switch around medication if your Dr. knows HCM, but give it 3-6 months.
                  Diagnosed at Hopkins 1972
                  Septum 2.7 cm
                  Non sustained VT
                  Obstruction
                  ICD 12/8/2010

Comment

Hypothyroidism can make you sleep and sleep. He should have his thyroid levels checked (not just T4, but a Thyroid panel). Hypothyroidism and HCM also seem to track together.

take care,

S

Comment

My 2 1/2 year old boy with HCM has been extremely tired on Verapmil. He sleeps to 9 am, and then wants a nap by 11:30a. He doesn't get up until 3 pm, and that is because we wake him up. His eyes always look tired.
                      5 1/2 year old Tyler w/ HCM dx. on 12/8/05 died suddenly in his sleep on 12/2/08.
                      7 1/2 year old Katie w/ HCM dx. on 12/18/08, rec'd AICD, replaced on 2/19/09 w/ new lead.

Comment

It sounds like a change in meds might help him a lot. Ask the doctor. A popular med for little guys is propanolol, which is a beta blocker. I know a lot of kids who have used it with success. Good luck when trying to get the meds figured out. It's a tough thing sometimes to figure out.

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

The reason we went with the calcium channel blocker is because he has moderate/severe asthma. We reduced his dose, and today he took a normal knap, so maybe it was just too heavy a dose for him.
                          5 1/2 year old Tyler w/ HCM dx. on 12/8/05 died suddenly in his sleep on 12/2/08.
                          7 1/2 year old Katie w/ HCM dx. on 12/18/08, rec'd AICD, replaced on 2/19/09 w/ new lead.

Comment

I understand. I hope you can get the dosage right soon. There are also some beta blockers that are specific to how they work and are less likely to interfere with asthma. I'm sorry, but off-hand I can't remember which ones are better. You might ask his doctor about that too.

Reenie
                            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

It's so hard knowing your little guy has a problem, and especially so when the meds cause additional concerns. Please keep your doctor informed and ask him/her what you should be expecting from these meds in terms of tiredness, etc. Adjustments may be in order. Best wishes - Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X