If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranexa (ranolazine)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

kdorenkott Diagnosed @ age 37 Septal Myectomy FEB 2011 ICD June of 2013 Find out more about kdorenkott
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranexa (ranolazine)

Last June I went into Ventricular Tachycardia while on the treadmill during a stress echo. I had an ICD implanted that day. I went back for my December stress echo and went into Ventricular tachycardia during cool down. I was able to get out of V Tach both times with with IV pushed Metoprolol and coughing. Then the decision was made to try Ranexa. I had another stress echo in February and no V Tach. I just had a NIPS test done under anesthesia a couple weeks ago and I did not go into V Tach while they used my ICD to stimulate exercise and when they put me into Ventricular fibrillation my ICD shocked my heart back into a normal rythum. I take 1000mg of Renexa twice daily. I was just wondering are any other Centers of Excellence prescribing Renexa for it's anti arrhythmia properties.

Diagnosed @ age 37
    Septal Myectomy FEB 2011
    ICD June of 2013
    I had my Myectomy and ICD implantation at Johns Hopkins.

Cardiologist: Dr. Theodore Abraham
    Cardiologist: Dr. Maria Roselle Abraham
    Electrophysiologist: Dr.Joseph Marine
    Cardiac Surgeon: Dr. Duke Edward Cameron

2000mg Renexa daily
    200mg Toporl XL daily
    50mg of Metoprolol daily
    Currently under the care of the Physicians at University of Colorado Hospital.

Diagnosed @ age 37
    Septal Myectomy FEB 2011
    ICD June of 2013
    I had my Septal Myectomy and ICD implantation at Johns Hopkins.

Cardiologist: Dr.Ernesto Salcedo
    Electrophysiologist: Dr. William H. Sauer,
    Cardiac Surgeon: Dr. Duke Edward Cameron (Johns Hopkins)

2000mg Renexa daily
    200mg Toporl XL daily
    50mg of Metoprolol daily

Re: Ranexa (ranolazine)

Hi kdorenkott -
    And welcome to the board! When you get a chance, please introduce yourself on the "Hi! My name is . . ." forum.

If you use the search function on this board, you'll find a bit of discussion of Ranexa, but I don't think it's used a lot in HCM.

Gordon
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

If I remember right....I should since it was only 2 weeks ago...but at the HCMA meeting there was a presentation on a study using Ranolazine in HCM. Possibly when the conference is available on line to HCMA members, you may want to take a look at that. I think it was a European study that had very favorable results....Help me out guys....Someone that went to the HCMA meeting and has a better memory than mine???
      After years of symptoms:
      Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
      Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
      Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
      At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Ranexa is a drug that has been in use for the last 5 years or so. It is picking up steam in HCM and in fact at the HCMA meeting there was an announcement that a clinical trial is starting up right now for HCM with a drug that is essentially the next generation of Ranexa. It does not even have a name yet. Both Ranexa and its progeny drug have anti-arrythmic properties and also treat chest pain by increasing oxygen flow to the heart tissue.

There are definitely some HCMers who take it. It is a new drug, so it is probably been used most often on people who have had problems while on BBs or CCBs.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I've been on Ranexa 1000mg twice daily for almost 4 years. It was prescribed by Dr. Marty Maron. I've been fortunate enough not to have any arrhythmias. It is also an anti anginal.
          Dx with HCM November 2009
          Myectomy and Mitral Valve Repair @Tuft's March 2010

Comment

I just got back from seeing Dr. Ewan Ashley at Stanford and they prescribed 500mg of Ranexa 2/day after I wean off the Toprol XL. I'm still weaning, so I haven't yet started. Dr. Ashley referred to the studies that Jill and Cynaburst mentioned here. I'm hoping it's going to help with my chest discomfort and sob. He said that more surgery isn't an option for me since my thickening is 'concentric'. Anyway, i'll let you know if it helps!
            After years of being told I was anxious and depressed, finally diagnosed in 2012
            Myectomy and Mitral Valve repair, UCLA, July 2013

Comment

I'm glad you got a change in meds....it will be interesting to see if being off the beta blocker helps your fatigue. Did your MD mention Disopyramide at all....Just curious to understand why one is better than the other in certain circumstances.....Always so much to learn.
              Hope you feel better! Keep us posted
              After years of symptoms:
              Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
              Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
              Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
              At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Hi Jill
                I'm so glad you're doing well after your second myectomy. Yay!!
                I've been on the ranexa for about a month now. I think it's helping - that is, I was feeling better at first and was very excited about it but this week I don't feel as well as I was. I did go to Stanford last week for my vo2 max test and at that time, I was feeling great! I even did 12 minutes on the treadmill without feeling bad! Exciting! I still don't have the results of that test yet, though.
                Don't know why I am not feeling as we'll this week. I guess hcm works in mysterious ways! Hmmm...

On another note, I spent the last four weeks on the phone to anthem blue cross to be able to go to Stanford for my continuing care with hcm and they decided to deny covering me. Turkeys! Anything for the almighty dollar! Currently I have HMO insurance. I will change to ppo when open enrollment comes around. Then I should be able to go where I want, right?

I am also going to apply to go on disability from teaching this fall. With hcm and unpredictable episodes of violent vertigo, I'm not really up to working anymore

Anyway, thanks for your thorough posts you are very knowledgeable about all things nurse and medical related!
                After years of being told I was anxious and depressed, finally diagnosed in 2012
                Myectomy and Mitral Valve repair, UCLA, July 2013

Comment

I was prescribed Renexa to increase blood flow in preparation for a heart cath. Heart cath showed no heart disease. Upon taking Renexa, by the 2nd day I observed that my Fibromyalgia pain was completely gone! My cardiologist said they have seen cases where it has helped with fibromyalgia. He said I absolutely could continue with Renexa for fibromyalgia.
                  Order Generic for Ranexa 500 mg tablets at our pharmacy & save $134.15. Generic for Renexa drug is used for treating angina and chest pain.

Comment

Working...
                  X