If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative to Metoprolol?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Missie72 Find out more about Missie72
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alternative to Metoprolol?

Suzanne,
    The recovery was better than I thought it would be. I had a bad stay in Cleveland, but part of that was due to me not speaking up for myself. I felt so much better right away, though I have never quite shaken the being tired part (which could be part of the side effects).

Cardiac rehab helped the most. I was afraid to do much at home and being hooked up and monitored while working out gave me back the confidence I needed to help my recovery. I actually wish I could do cardiac rehab forever lol

It's such a whirlwind of emotions once you get diagnosed and this is the best place I have found for peace, inspiration and information. Please let me know how you are doing and how the new med treats you!
    Missie
    HCM diagnosed 8/1/11
    changed to HOCM 1/23/12
    Septal Myectomy 4/5/12 at CCF
    Gene positive, no one in my immediate family is willing to be tested, including my 21 year old son

Comment

Missie - read the small print on your insurance. In cases where an expert is needed, most allow you to go outside the network. I know this applies to surgery, but not sure about aftercare (we are, after all, still unique). In most cases it is an uphill battle, and will take some time, so do have a local you trust. Good luck!
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Thanks Marc, I will get my book out tomorrow when I get back to the office.

So I got the list from HR and it shows a bazillion cardiologists from CCF, except for Popovic. Good grief, I'm so confused. I sent a message back to HR asking for date that list was effective and if it's the most recent, I'm calling CCF back and telling them to schedule me with one on the list. UGH! I just want to feel halfway decent.....

Thank you everyone for the advice, it's much appreciated!
        Missie
        HCM diagnosed 8/1/11
        changed to HOCM 1/23/12
        Gene positive, no one in my immediate family is willing to be tested, including my 21 year old son

Comment

Most people who go to CCF for HCM see Harry Lever, though there are a few who see other doctors. Another whose name I have seen over the years is Thamilarasaran.
          Daughter of Father with HCM
          Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
          Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
          ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
          Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

When I did my first Beta Blocker trial it was with metoprolol....I was on it for three weeks and I cried everyday...I told my MD I'd rather have chest pain than to cry everyday, so we worked with Verapamil and I did fairly well , but needed myecvtomy. After surgery I was on Coreg...it helped with symptoms of HCM that remained after my surgery...But I was so fatigued on the Beta Blockers we are now weaning them down and increasing Verapamil. As is said before, you should work with your cardiologist to try other beta blockers and or combinations with calcium channel blockers. No need to put up with herendous side effects for months and years at a time...there are lots of meds and combos to be tried. Good Luck! don't be afraid to let your MD know how miserable you are.
            After years of symptoms:
            Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
            Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
            Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
            At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Thank you Cynaburst! Both of those names are on my (supposedly) in network list. Our HR director is calling the insurance company today to see what's going on. Hopefully I will have answers today. I also printed off a list of all the cardiologists in my network and am going to start calling them today to see if anyone is well versed in HCM.

Hi Jill, I gave my doc a whole list of how I feel and he thinks I need counseling and to be put on anxiety and antidepressant meds. I told him no I don't, my life is great other than feeling like crap, I'm the type of person that if I wasn't smiling or positive 24/7 it would freak out everyone I'm in contact with lol Plus, I would rather not take any of those meds and feel more like a zombie than I do now.

I appreciate all of the advice and help! Thank you all!
              Missie
              HCM diagnosed 8/1/11
              changed to HOCM 1/23/12

Comment

Working...
              X