If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carvedilol

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Rachel87 My name is Rachel. My husband's name is Trey. We are both 25. We've been married for 6 years. My husband was diagnosed with HCM at around 14 years old during a sports physical. Right now a cardiologist that we're trying out has him on Verapamil -which he's been on and off of for around 10 years- and he was just recently put on Carvedilol after he stopped wanted to take Metoprolol because he hated it. The doctor said he may eventually take him off the Verapamil. His next appointment is 6 weeks away to go most likely go over his medications and I'm not sure what else.. There's still a lot that I don't know about or understand. I'm trying to learn and take it all as it comes. I joined this site in hopes of sharing our story and to hear others' stories and hopefully gain some more information and support from others experiencing similar things. Find out more about Rachel87
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvedilol

My husband just stopped taking Metoprolol and was started on Carvedilol instead (which I have no idea how to pronounce, lol).
    He stopped taking the Metoprolol because he didn't like how he felt on it, in a nutshell.

So I was just wondering if anyone else is on it or has ever been on it and what they thought about it.

Thanks.

- Rachel

Not sure what to write down here..
    My husband was diagnosed with HCM at around 14 years old.
    We're both 25. We've been married for 6 years. We currently have no insurance.
    He's currently on Verapamil and Carvedilol.

Re: Carvedilol

Yes, I'd be curious as well. Carvedilol has been mentioned to me as a possible drug to handle hypertension. I don't think it's typically given to HCM patients, but it may depend on the individual's circumstances.
    ICD 1/20/10
    Myectomy 8/25/10
    @ Johns Hopkins
    Surgeon Duke Cameron

Comment

Hi, I will give my limited experience with carvedilol (pronounced car-VAY-di-lol) more easily pronounced as the brand name Coreg. Before my myectomy I was on max dose of Verapamil for symptoms as my cardiologist was trying to avoid Beta-Blockers because I have mild-mod asthma. So as my symptoms became more uncontrolled we agreed to a Beta blocker trial using metoprolol. I could tell it was helping my symptoms but I ended up crying everyday for the whole 21 day trial so we abandoned the metoprolol.
      Since my surgery, while trying to minimize medications The Cardiologist introduced gradually increasing doses of Coreg/Carvedilol....It has both an alpha blocking effect (dilates peripheral blood vessels...good for hypertension) and a Beta blocking effect which slows the heart rate and increases the filling. For me, it has allowed me to reduce my symptoms of chest pain and arrhythmias without the side effect of depression. The dose I left the hospital on 25mg am and pm caused increased fatigue and tiredness so we have been decreasing the dose gradually....Since I am new to beta blockers and the fatigue they are renowned to cause.....I'm having trouble separating my HOCM fatigue, my post-op fatigue and my beta blocker fatigue LOL....but I guess that is a different forum topic.
      I don't know if this has helped.....it's my first post and I am a writer so I tend to be a bit verbose at times.
      After years of symptoms:
      Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
      Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
      Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
      At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Thanks for the info Jill. I hope you continue to do well post-myectomy.
        ICD 1/20/10
        Myectomy 8/25/10
        @ Johns Hopkins
        Surgeon Duke Cameron

Comment

I have been on Metoprolol since diagnosed in April of this year and I am pretty sure it is the culprit of my severe dizziness. I was on 75mg once daily and I was too dizzy to work, so now I am on 50mg daily and have had an event recorder on since July 3. The dizziness has seemed to decrease with the lower dose, but the arrhythmias and chest pain are worse, but I can deal with that better. It is hard to tell, what is the HCM or the medication, and would I be better off not taking anything. I guess I will see when I get the results of this event recorder, obviously my arrhythmias have not been dangerous or I would have been notified. I am just not sold on this Metoprolol.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X