If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lasix

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

rhonda Find out more about rhonda
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lasix

hi!
    just wanted a little input...
    I have been on atenelol since 30yo, changed to corgard 20mg about a year ago (no specific reason just to experiment..) at that time we also added 10mg of lasix every other day. well as the year has passed i've had several episodes of shortness of breath. so...lasix increased to 10 mg every day., no change, so now lasix 20 mg every day. i feel better
    but am a little worried because i thought diuretics were contrindicated with hcm. and what about "staying hydrated w/ fluid intake, doesn't that defeat the purpose??

chf

I am assuming you are on lasix b/c you have congestive heart failure. If so, then you have to find a delicate balance between hydration and diuretics. Even on a diuretic, you still need to keep your liquid intake up but especially make sure you are taking potassium, magnesium and sodium in the right balance to keep the heart from getting out of whack.

I'm sure a few others can speak to this experience.

S

Comment

Rhonda, you are feeling better, and that's good. Seems like you are doing well with that fine line. Some doctors say a wt gain of 3 pounds in 24 hrs is reason to take the fluid pill(lasix is only one of the meds of this type). Talk to your doctor and ask for guidelines if you are unsure if you need it daily. Things to watch for as far as electrolytes that Sarah mentioned - dizziness, weakness, muscle twitching. If you are faced with a bout of GI probs - vomiting, dirrhea, etc, be very careful. You will lose fluid quickly and may not need the lasix at that time. If you are feeling good as you say you are, thank your doc, between the two of you, you're managing a difficult situation very well! If you are interested in seeing an HCM expert and have not done so, just call Lisa at the HCMA office, and she can help you out on a more individual basis. Linda

Comment

You are right this can be a difficult management issue for those with HCM as too much diuretic is damaging.
        Watch your weight - look for fluid shifts If you are up 2-4 lbs in a day it is likely that the duiretic will help remove that extra fluid. This should be carefully monitored by your doctor as well.
        Linda's post is 100% on listen to her advice - she knows what she is talking about.
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Rhonda, When I read back thru your original post, I realize I didn't answer your original question - "staying hydrated w/ fluid intake, doesn't that defeat the purpose??" Fluids in your body are in body cells, circulating thru blood vessels, and in different body compartment(the abd cavity, in lungs, joints, etc.) When you build up fluid, the fluid will shift to different areas, as when you are dehydrated, it will be pulled from different areas to keep the body balance. So you can handle an overload of fluid for a while, then you start to get swelling or shortness of breath as the fluid shifts to the lungs, and into the tissues to get out of the blood circulating thru the vessels. The lasix rids the body of excess fluid, then the fluid will shift back into the circulating blood from the lungs, tissues, etc. The fluid is eliminated as the blood is filtered thru the kidneys, but with this filtering, you also lose some electrolytes(sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc). It's this shift of fluids that is the body's own way of maintaining the proper balance, but sometimes, it needs some help. Then you have to know your own body to know how much fluids to drink to remain hydrated. A wise doctor once told me "The dumbest kidney is still more intelligent than the smartest doctor." Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X