If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toprol-XL (metoprolol)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toprol-XL (metoprolol)

Julie,

Pat is correct, Toprol-XL is metoprolol (that is where they derived the brand name from... me-Toprol-ol). There are actually several forms of metoprolol being discussed on this thread, so it can be confusing, but they are all basically the same drug.

Lopressor and Toprol are common brand names for plain old metoprolol. They've been around a long time, so they are also available in generic form, which is usually called Metoprolol Tartrate. That is what you are now taking. The only drawback to these older drugs, or their generic version, is that you have to take them more often throughout the day to maintain coverage.

Toprol-XL is a newer, long-acting form of metoprolol that you only have to take once a day. It seems to be the beta-blocker of choice right now among heart docs, and the drug company that makes it is throwing out lots of samples to the docs to help promote it. It's a good drug, but since it is newer than the rest, it is still under patent protection which means it won't be available in generic form for some time. Subsequently, it can be quite expensive.

I guess what i don't understand is... if you were having problems with the long-acting Toprol-XL... why does your doctor feel you would do better on generic metoprolol, which you have to take more often?

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

"Blocadren, Corgard, Lopressor, Sectral, Tenormin, and Visken are all brand names for plain old metoprolol."

Just a point of clarification.....Corgard is the brand name for nadolol, a different beta blocker, and Tenormin is the brand name for atenolol, yet another one.

I don't know about the others, but they are all different drugs, all beta blockers, and in the same class, but with different chemical makeups.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Originally posted by mtlieb
        Blocadren, Corgard, Lopressor, Sectral, Tenormin, and Visken are all brand names for plain old metoprolol.
        This is not true. The list of drugs named are all in the FAMILY of drugs called beta-blockers, however, they are all different drugs with their own generic name. They are chemical variations of each other. Think of them as siblings.

Some are more specific to the heart/brain system and some act on the whole body and other small variations of how they work -but in essense they all do the same thing: prevent adrenelin from increasing your heart rate and prevent your heart from beating too hard. THey also lower your blood pressure.

Please see: http://www.tmc.edu/thi/betameds.html for a discussion of betablockers and a list of brand names. Go here: http://www.4hcm.org/phpBB2/viewtopic...059&highlight= for a list of links that are "tried and true."

Brand/Generic break-out: Blocadren= timolol; Sectral=acebutolol; Corgard=nadolol; Tenormin=atenolol; Visken =pindolol.

However, Lopresssor IS metroprolol, too, as is Toprol and Toprol XL. (XL being a long-acting formula). It is unusual to have several brand names in the same country for the same drug, but there it is.

Please note that brand names for generics will be different in other countries --these are all US brand names we are talking about.

Clear as mud? Good!

S

Comment

My apologies,

I got that list from drugstore.com under the heading of metoprolol. As it turns out, they had listed common brand names for all beta blockers and not just metoprolol. I edited my post to take care of the inaccurate data, and thanks for the clarification! I believe my post is accurate

Jim

Comment

Dear Jim,

We were writing at the same time. I'm going to leave my post as-is, just in case others find that their pharmacy is innacurate as well. It is also very confusing unless you are used to it.

take care,

S

Comment

Thanks Pat!

I guess I was confused because when Toprol XL was no longer effective, you would have thought I would have been put on something different, not the generic of the same drug?? Although the pharmacy I go to told me Toprol XL does not have a generic but that the two drugs do have the same active ingredient.
              Anyway, he does not want to change anything until I am done with my 30 day event moniter so for now I wait. Actually the last three days have been really good as far as palpitations, I just get that mid morning DRAG.....so we shall see.

Thanks for the info.

Julie

Comment

Jim,

Your thoughts are my thoughtss. When they switched me 6 weeks ago the nurse told me my Ep sometimes sees that patients do better with the metoprolol. At the time I thought they were totatlly different, but have since learned otherwise. I actually was cutting my Toprol XL in half beacuse awhile back I was getting fast heart rates and got shocked a few times(have an ICD) so they were trying to even the dosage out more. It has only been since April I started getting lots and lots of palpitations and they switched me from the Toprol XL. Anyway, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help.
                Julie
                PS. I work for a doc who specializes in pain management and I see first hand what the drug reps do. We have more pens etc. then we know what to do with and we eat quite well there if you know what I mean.

Comment

You probably already know this, but just want to make sure that cutting Toprol XL does not work. All extended release drugs are designed with a coating for slow release through out the day.
                  Once you cut, chew or break the tablet, the coating is gone and it is not longer an extended release drug, and the effect may wear off in few hours and the symptoms will be back.
                  Ketan Thanki

Comment

Hi,

I'm pretty sure you can cut a Toprol-XL tablet in half without losing any effect. The pills are scored for that purpose, and the documentation states that you can cut the pills in half. You are correct however that the individual halves should not be chewed or broken. The documentation states that as well.

But as far as cutting the pills in half, there's probably more people here doing that than not, since there is so much experimentation going on with different dosages.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Re: metoprolol

Does anyone know if there are lower dosages than 100 mg available? The lowest dose I can find locally is 100 mg. I only take 25mg and as you can imagine, cutting a tiny pill into four is rather hit-or-miss to say the least.

Comment

Clive,
                        Toprol XL does come in 50mg Tabs.

Comment

Clive,

Toprol-XL is offered in 25mg, 50mg, 100mg, and 200mg.

Jim

Comment

Re: (metoprolol)

I was after ordinary metoprolol . . . forgot the topic . . .

Comment

Clive,
                              Metoprolol comes in 50mg also.

Comment

I was just moved from 100mg BID to 75mg BID. I think its a real PITA to split the 50's in half, but insurance dictates that I can only have the 50's.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X